PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to find these lid clips?

jostafew
11-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find these nifty clear plastic clips that will hold a glass lid on a rimless tank? Thanks in advance!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd429/jostafew/Aquarium%20Stuff/LidClips.jpg

Myka
11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
That is absolutely brilliant! I don't like the look of those particular clips (way too bulky), but I'm going to steal this idea and build my own out of some acrylic.

jostafew
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I was thinking about building from acrylic as well if I can't find them pre-built. It looks like they have both corner pieces as well as a simpler profile for the straight edges of the tank. I agree the corners are kinda bulky but the straight edge pieces are perfect. Four of those on the sides of a rimless tank would be hardly noticeable!

badfish!
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I have those straight edge clips on my tank, its a 5 gallon nano from ecoexotic, they might sell the clips seperatly.

www.ecoxotic.com (http://www.ecoxotic.com)

jostafew
11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Awesome, thanks badfish! I've sent a request to Ecoxotic to find out how I can get my hands on them.

Jackie
11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I got mine from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Tank-Glass-Cover-Plastic-Clip-Support-Holder-/180608285862?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0d17bca6

jostafew
11-18-2011, 02:44 AM
Sweet, thanks for the tip!

Reef Pilot
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Easy to make with scraps of lexan. It bends in a vice, like aluminum, without breaking, and holds it shape. I learned this from my plane building.

I use it also for tank tops instead of plexi. Has very good light transmission qualities.

NU-2reef
11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
My 34g solana came with those so I assume any retailer who deals with current USA will know how to get some for you.

smokinreefer
11-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Easy to make with scraps of lexan. It bends in a vice, like aluminum, without breaking, and holds it shape. I learned this from my plane building.

I use it also for tank tops instead of plexi. Has very good light transmission qualities.

hmmm, do you think lexan is a good option for a tank cover? and where would i get it from in the GVRD? i need to make some tank covers for my 180.
thanks!

Nano
11-19-2011, 07:41 AM
if you want to buy my 8 gallon fluval flora it has some ;) ;)

Reef Pilot
11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
hmmm, do you think lexan is a good option for a tank cover? and where would i get it from in the GVRD? i need to make some tank covers for my 180.
thanks!
That's what I use for my covers. Easy to drill, or cut, just use a tin snip. You can bend angles in it if you want and they hold their shape. It is very tough material, and you don't need a very thick sheet. I use the 1/16" size. If you have a large expanse to cover, just bend a very slight angle at the ends, and it will prevent bowing in the middle.

Can buy it at Industrial Plastics, Home Depot, and probably lots of other places. Another name is Polycarbonate sheet. Some places may have smaller scrap pieces available. Store people might call it plexiglass, but it is very different as I've mentioned.