PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech Radion

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Of course youve heard of the Ecotech Radion, who hasnt. My question is, do you think its worth 850 and can support my sps, lps and softies?

Parker
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
There are a lot of viariables to that question, how high is your tank, where are the coral placed. If you have a 24" deep tank the Radion ( I believe ) will be sufficiant to keep anything anywhere. In a 30" or higher, you may have to pick and choose where corals are placed.

Whether it's worth the price tag, that's entirely up to you to decide. Value can be subjective.

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 06:21 PM
I got a 29 which I believe is 30 inches. I have a small frag rack that sits about 3/4 way up. That should be good right?

doch
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
From what I've seen and read, I would (and did) go with the AI Sol. PAR is supposedly better, and the MSRP is $399 vs $850 for the radion. To me, it's a no brainer. I don't really understand the hype around the Radions.

Unfortunately for me, UPS has lost my Sols. Crap.

mexxedm
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi use my Radion for my 55 G bow front tank. I have soft corals, LPS and SPS in my tank. They grow pretty good, especially the SPS. They branch out crazily within two weeks in my tank.
It's worth the money. The correction is that it is $825 plus tax.
If anyone in Edmonton, Aquarium Illusions gives 15% discount to members on all product including Radion on the second Wednesday of the month. It turns out to be $701.25.
If the driver of other products failed, you have to contact the manufacturer and get them fixed. With Radion, you just have to plug in a computer, sync, done.

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 07:14 PM
The hype on the radions is being able to adjust your spectrum on the computer. Can you do that with the one youre talking about?

nozwal
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
tagging along as i am debating if i want radion or other cheaper leds.

MarkoD
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
It does lightning. No brainer

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 09:25 PM
To be honest, all i want is high power leds that can support my range of coral, has moonlight effects, and changeable spectrum wouldnt be terrible either

MarkoD
11-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Ai sol are proved to grow corals. And they do lightning

cale262
11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Some people need a car to drive from A to B. Some of these people will find a ford focus is more than enough, others can justify a Lambo for the same purpose... Then others need the Focus,the Lambo, the Camaro and anything else that's out there...

Im sure any of the units listed here will work. I personally like the Radions ATM as they offer features the others don't.

mike31154
11-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't get the lightning business. Is that really necessary other than for the novelty of it?

If I had the cash for a Porsche, I'd have one. I guess I'll have to be content with my motorbikes for the fun factor.

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
You do have a point there, its just I have T5 HO, and I need an upgrade. So I just want to be positive i'm making the right choice in an investment of this size

lastlight
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't get the lightning business. Is that really necessary other than for the novelty of it?

I'll have to ask Mr. Saltwater Fishtank. I'll report back.

cale262
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I'll have to ask Mr. Saltwater Fishtank. I'll report back.

yeah but he hasn't updated his trial run in a few weeks...meh

doch
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
The hype on the radions is being able to adjust your spectrum on the computer. Can you do that with the one youre talking about?

OK, but is that feature worth double the price of the Sols? If so, and it's that important to you, you can A) wait for the AI pheonix to come out at an MSRP of $499, or you can buy the wireless module for the Sols for $49. Both options allow full wireless control through your computer. Actually, through any computer that is hooked up to the internet. IMO, this is a novelty. How often do you need to adjust the spectrum of your light? Would the AI controller suffice to do this? To me it will. There is also the option of running the AI's through any of the big 3 controllers (not sure if you have one). As for the lightning... novelty as well, although I am super excited to see the lightning on my tank.

To be honest, all i want is high power leds that can support my range of coral, has moonlight effects, and changeable spectrum wouldnt be terrible either?

This is of course just my opinion... but I think that the Sol is the way to go. Tried, tested, dirt cheap (almost), and it has the changeable spectrum... AND LIGHTNING!!!!! HAHAHA!

I did a fair amount of research on this topic before I chose the Sols... like I said before, I don't get the Radion Hype. Maybe there's something that I don't see...?

Brandon5555
11-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head there, i'll look into the Sols and AI pheonix, i just want to make the right decision

mike31154
11-16-2011, 11:19 PM
The LED business is getting ever more tricky. New players entering the game all the time, each with some new or different features. Basically most of the latest will use 3 watt LEDs of some sort in varying colour combos and then add the bells & whistles or not. If you can wait it out a little longer, you might be better off. Do a little more searching, don't just rely on what you see on this forum. Some other very nice looking fixtures that are worth looking at are from Orphek & Kessil (for nanos). Price is up there on those too, but again, check it out, wait a bit & eventually you'll find something that suits your needs & may not break the bank. Then there's always the DIY scene or simply using some of the LED PAR38 bulbs that screw directly into a conventional lighting socket.

lastlight
11-16-2011, 11:25 PM
The Phoenix will blow the sol out of the water but will of course cost more. What's the Canadian msrp on the sol here? I see 399 but looks to be the US price since I've seen sig higher figures from vendors here?

fishytime
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
are the Sols 5 channels?

martinmcnally
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
The Phoenix will blow the sol out of the water but will of course cost more. What's the Canadian msrp on the sol here? I see 399 but looks to be the US price since I've seen sig higher figures from vendors here?

MSRP is $545.50

However they do not have minimum price requirements like EcoTech so you will find them less than that price as they are often on various specials.

martinmcnally
11-17-2011, 12:47 AM
When it comes to comparing AI Sol and Radion here are the big factors in my opinion from testing both of the units here.

Color Choice:
Radion has complete control over the color output with full RGB spectrium. That means for instance when its sunrise the radion can put out a nice early morning yellowish color and slowly bring that up to mid day as you would experience on an actual reef. AI Sol can do some manipulation of the color but only with the limitations of which units you purchased (White and Super Blue). Radion definitely has more control on the light effects however their first version of their software is pretty poor however should improve soon.

Light Coverage:
Here I think the AI Sol wins, its LEDs are more spread out giving better spread throughout the tank. Radions light output is concentrated mostly underneath the relatively small LED pods.

Added Extras:
Radion can put your EcoTech pumps into night mode and feedling mode etc. For people that do that. Also compatible with the EcoTech battery backup.

Wireless Control:
Contrary to popular believe NEITHER of these units can currently be controlled wirelessly from your computer. The wireless control in the Radion is between the Radion and other EcoTech products such as the pumps. Not to a computer. AI Sol is working on a wireless control module for the AI Sol but its not available yet. Some Info On that Here (http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/12/aqua-illumination-sol-nano-wireless-module/). AI Sol does have an optional wireless controller (http://www.modularled.ca/ai-controller/). As for wireless between Radions and AI Sols. The Radion wins. It can talk to its neighbours where as the AI Sols are wired together (however hardly a major disadvantage)

Looks:
Radion is following the Apple look with their polished black glass. AI Sol is just a little further behind but still looking pretty stylish. AI Sol is about twice as thick as a radion. AI Sol is coming out with a new black model right away.

Mounting:
Radion is only a hanging style, where as AI Sol is hanging and also available with some pretty inexpensive rails and legs.

LEDs:
While they are both CREE, the Radion has 11 more than AI Sol. Plus the Radion has Cool White, Blue, Royal Blue, Red and Green where as AI Sol is just Cool White and Blue.

Well thats about all I can think of right now :biggrin: They are both excellent LED fixtures.

Aqua-Digital
11-17-2011, 01:03 AM
just add my comment as a hobbyist who has tried both

On my 24 inch cube I needed 2 Ai Sols and even then there was no light overspill. If you want to see back up of this please look at my tank build thread

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60988&page=8

Things move on fast in lighting in 18 months!

On the same tank I am running 1 Radion with slight light overspill.

When you take into account the need for 2 Ai for one Radion the price no longer becomes a bargaining factor between the two

Yes i have seen one SOL on a 24 inch cube but the lamp was high and there was no real value at sand level.

Just my 2 cents.

MarkoD
11-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Did you have more par with 2 sol over one radion

just add my comment as a hobbyist who has tried both

On my 24 inch cube I needed 2 Ai Sols and even then there was no light overspill. If you want to see back up of this please look at my tank build thread

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60988&page=8

Things move on fast in lighting in 18 months!

On the same tank I am running 1 Radion with slight light overspill.

When you take into account the need for 2 Ai for one Radion the price no longer becomes a bargaining factor between the two

Yes i have seen one SOL on a 24 inch cube but the lamp was high and there was no real value at sand level.

Just my 2 cents.

Aqua-Digital
11-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I never measured it but visually there is a difference, the radion puts out more depth of light into the tank.

My green slimer that is at least 18" down now has full polyp extension where as before it was very half hearted.

The other noticeable point is that I always got a disco ball effect with the Ai's on the sand bed, and with the Radion this is non existant even with the different colour LED's

I went from Ai to pac sun and then onto Radion, in less than a week there is a massive improvement in my SPS colouration.

Ai served me well, but times move on and I do believe radion now has the leading edge here. But as with all products head to head, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Bill@IA
11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Michael,

I look forward to your progress report. As I have been following along for awhile, there is a noticeable difference in your aquarium on YouTube.
Under the Aqua Illuminations, your tank looked amazing right up to the point you switched to the Pacific Sun. Your posted pictures, the day you switched, really showed what the AI SOL Whites had done up to this point, so I was looking forward to the PacSun taking it further.....but the most recent pics don't confirm any progress was made here. The tank doesn't look as good now as it did before the switch, IMHO.
I hope your Ecotech Radion can restore your tank to its former glory. :biggrin:

Cheers!

I never measured it but visually there is a difference, the radion puts out more depth of light into the tank.

My green slimer that is at least 18" down now has full polyp extension where as before it was very half hearted.

The other noticeable point is that I always got a disco ball effect with the Ai's on the sand bed, and with the Radion this is non existant even with the different colour LED's

I went from Ai to pac sun and then onto Radion, in less than a week there is a massive improvement in my SPS colouration.

Ai served me well, but times move on and I do believe radion now has the leading edge here. But as with all products head to head, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

Aqua-Digital
11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
The biggest change has been colour, under both Ai and PS all I could get was green, but now my hairy acro under Radion has gone a turquoise blue and my birds nest is going from brown to green with pink tips. My other colonies are also showing signs of blues and purples, the colours I could not get out of either the last two fixtures.

Every tank is different and every tank will show different results but for me the radion is showing the most in terms of coral colour and I can only think this is down to having full spectrum now.

Bill@IA
11-17-2011, 12:27 PM
You are right every tank is different. After 2 months, the Pink on my Birdsnest, the Orange/Purple on my Pavona maldivensis, and the Blues on my Acropora tenuis, are superb. But then again I am using the Aqua Illumination SOL BLUE, you were using the AI SOL White.
Looking forward to seeing more from your aquarium. Whatever it is, your results after only one week, sound encouraging....and your fish look terrific.

:biggrin:

The biggest change has been colour, under both Ai and PS all I could get was green, but now my hairy acro under Radion has gone a turquoise blue and my birds nest is going from brown to green with pink tips. My other colonies are also showing signs of blues and purples, the colours I could not get out of either the last two fixtures.

Every tank is different and every tank will show different results but for me the radion is showing the most in terms of coral colour and I can only think this is down to having full spectrum now.