PDA

View Full Version : tectus turbo snail dead?

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Hi guys. Just picked up 2 turbo snails on Saturday, one was much larger then the other, upon putting them in the tank I notice the larger one was very lazy and actually rode around on the other one for most of the first day, the next few days he was fine going about his business. Now lastnight he was at the top of the tank on the gkass, and today is directly below where he was lastnight, his tissue looks live, but he hasn't moved all day... Is it possible he is dead or dying and why? My parameters are perfect. I had a salinity spike on Friday but had it under control before adding him so I doubt that would have anything to do with it. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if I should leave him for a while and wait and see could he crash my tank? The reason I ask if I should leave him is because I have an astrea snail that did the same thing and he's fine.... :sad::question:

hillegom
11-16-2011, 05:13 AM
One day of not moving is ok.
If you are really worried, take him out and smell him. If its a bad, foul, odour, chuck him.

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Lol smell him? I poked him and nothing I don't know if I want to smell him though lol

MKLKT
11-16-2011, 05:23 AM
If he's attached then he's just fine, I see my snails stay in the same spot for really long periods of time.

hillegom
11-16-2011, 05:24 AM
If he is not moving, poking won't make him move either.
Try it, smelling works

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Lol no he's not attached just on the sand bed, I'll smell him I guess blahhhhh.

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Yuck.. yep he's a goner. Old age maybe?

Mandosh
11-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Doubt it. Chances are it wasn't acclimated long enough. Snails are extremely sensitive to parameter changes and it can take a couple of hours of drip acclimation.

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Doubt it. Chances are it wasn't acclimated long enough. Snails are extremely sensitive to parameter changes and it can take a couple of hours of drip acclimation.

yeah they told me this at the store, he dripped for 3 hours+ so I dont know what the problem is

Mandosh
11-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Even with the best intentions, sh*t happens.

Nano
11-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Even with the best intentions, sh*t happens.

lol damn. Thats the first "critter" I've lost. bu as you said it happens. main thing is I'm glad everything is stable. I am hoping to add either a watchman or a tailspot blenny this weekend! I'm so excited haha. (like a kid at christmas) I'll be sure to take extra care in my acclimatising.

Mandosh
11-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Make sure you keep an eye on everything else and double-check your parameter to make sure there isn't a larger issue that you're missing. Other than that, take it slow.

I vote tailspot. Awesome fish and they don't spit sand everywhere.

Nano
11-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Make sure you keep an eye on everything else and double-check your parameter to make sure there isn't a larger issue that you're missing. Other than that, take it slow.

I vote tailspot. Awesome fish and they don't spit sand everywhere.

yes I will monitor daily for a few, just to be certain, everything is fine at the moment, but I'm also doing a 1-20 % water change tomorrow, just to get any "gunk" the snail may have left behind,. Caution is key :P
thanks for the info, I think a tailspot would go nicely with my ocellaris, also do you happen to know if its common for ocellaris and skunk cleaner shrimp to pair up? as in become buddies? they are always together tanking care of one another. its quite the thing.

Mandosh
11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Sorry, can't help you with the shrimp. My fish tend to see shrimp less as buddies, more as delicious.

Nano
11-16-2011, 06:23 AM
lol "more as delicious" haha. that rich. well thanks again

MKLKT
11-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Skunk cleaners are pretty much buddies of lots of aquarium fish. Mine will clean and hang on upside-down on my foxface and ride around for a bit sometimes.

Aquaria
11-17-2011, 07:37 AM

That's so weird iv never been told that my snails have always got the same treatment as fish and coral only things I drip are certain inverts like shrimp and urchins Glad iv never lost anything

gobytron
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
if you took your time dripping it in, then there's really not much you can do.
if you rushed him in there, he could be in trouble.

Its funny, I always used to think you could jus toss snails in a new tank, but O lost a lot of money on snails this way.