PDA

View Full Version : coast to coast

Dive_dry
11-15-2011, 04:48 AM
So I am building a new tank and want to do a coast to coast. I would like to do an external overflow but have bin told it would weaken the glass. The tank is 330 g 72" long x36" front to back 30" tall glass is 3/4" or 19 mm . So my question is will it weaken the glass as i would like no obstructions in the tank nice and clean as it will be seen from 2 sides hopefully still designing the basement

Aquattro
11-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Essentially you'd have one end shorter than the rest of the tank, that isn't going to weaken it. cutting it might be fun though :razz:

I would think about removing the end you're going to shorten and cut it that way.

Dive_dry
11-15-2011, 05:03 AM
all the glass is not assembled yet as i am building the tank from scratch and crossing my fingers lol

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-15-2011, 05:11 AM
It should be fine (coast to coast), but with a tank that size, Eurobracing is probably going to be necessary to prevent bowing and for added strength.

ScubaSteve
11-15-2011, 05:14 AM
If you are doing a coast to coast on the end, it won't really weaken the glass; especially if you are cutting it as a slot or eurobracing. I assume that on a tank this size you are are having eurobracing or steel brace around the top? It may even be possible to do it on the long edge as well if you design it right.

If you design the external overflow well, it'll just disappear. When I look in my tank through the water (rather than above at the rimless edge) the only give away that I have an external overflow is the way the light refracts through the water going over the edge. If there is no backlighting I don't see the overflow at all.

I spent countless hours over-engineering my overflow (like, who calculates the thickness of the water layer spilling over the edge, really?... me.:cry:), so if you want to have a chat about how you could do it I could give you all the tips I learned along the way.

Dive_dry
11-16-2011, 12:56 AM
that would be great as i am trying to figure the depth of my overflow and the pump to match as the tank is not assembled yet and it is easy to still make changes /improvements and overflow is going the long way