PDA

View Full Version : Disapppearing clown fish

pscott99
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Had two healthy clowns that had paired off really well. Both healthy and swimming all over. Other fish include one angry purple gramma and a small goby. No dangerous inverts, one brown star.

Came home from work, all was well. Two hours later went to feed and the female clown was gone.

No body anywhere in the tank, outside the tank, in the sump, in the skimmer. How can a little orange body simply vanish. Even my good CUC can't clean her up that fast can they ?

Missing now for two days. One very lonely male left.

noirsphynx
11-14-2011, 04:02 PM
What kind of starfish is it? Is it possible she managed to get stuck in the rock work?

FishyFishy!
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Most of the time they die in or under the rockwork, and usually you'll never find them. I found a 2 year old skelaton of a wrasse I had a long time ago jammed in a piece of live rock I pulled out of my tank last week.

dc4
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Is your tank covered? Do you have any pets (dog, cats) that could have picked up any carpet swimmers?

mexxedm
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Same situation happens to me twice in two weeks. Can't find the fishes any where. I don't want to destroy the whole tank to look for them. I declare they are dead and bought new fish.

Ryan_Lap
11-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Depending on how your overflow is built you may want to check that. Ive had my lawnmower blenny go in there a couple times

pscott99
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
No pets or kids to pick up a body
The male went down the overflow to the sump. Still alive and swimming in the sump, put him back in the tank last week. Unless it was a very lucky jump into the sump. Anyways stuck under rock would be possible but I can see pretty much everywhere. Very sad.

It's a banded brittle starfish. It doesn't move enough to catch anything.

Thanks for the replys. Makes me feel a little better.

Lampshade
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
I had my clown lay eggs, and 9 days later when they hatched, she jumped out of my tank. 3" of euro-bracing and my canopy is 1" max from the top of the tank. Somehow made it out. I was sitting beside the tank when it happened, so i heard it, looked, didn't see anything. Then my wife went and checked and found her on the floor. Was probably close to 5 min, but she was fine once she went back in.

Anyways, hope yours is fine, mine clearly has some post-partum depression issues.

ponokareefer
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd have to agree that it probably died if it isn't on the floor or in your overflow. The last fish that I ever saw dead in my tank was my large foxface and it was already being consumed. Other than that, they just disappear.

reefme
11-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Ya happened to me too. Found him under my stand 2 days later. Dried up like salted fish.

pscott99
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh well I guess it's more common than you think. Thanks everyone.

Now here's a question, going shopping tomorrow for replacement. Would you buy one more or three more for better odds ?

ponokareefer
11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Definitely only keep 2 total in the tank. Anymore than that will eventually lead to clownfish being killed by the dominant pair.

RyanJ
11-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I had the same thing happen in a 30g nano! taht was infested with Bristol worms! they ate my clowns! I had some as thick as my thumb! there was over 500+ of them! I they were spawning ever 3rd night! so they just ate my fish lol!

reefme
11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh well I guess it's more common than you think. Thanks everyone.

Now here's a question, going shopping tomorrow for replacement. Would you buy one more or three more for better odds ?

The question is will it compatible???

ponokareefer
11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Was it the female(large) clownfish that disappeared or the small(male) clownfish that disappeared?

pscott99
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Large female gone. Male hung upside down by my mag cleaner for two days but is venturing around the tank again now. I do have a lot harmless orange worms that come out at feeding time. Never seen one aggresive in any way. The clowns were in the upper half of the tank waiting for feeding time.

ponokareefer
11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Since your female has passed away, you could look for a larger clownfish than your current one, or a smaller one. I would try to avoid getting one of the same size to avoid them doing a lot of fighting to determine who will become the dominant clownfish.

What kind of clownfish do you have?

pscott99
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Since your female has passed away, you could look for a larger clownfish than your current one, or a smaller one. I would try to avoid getting one of the same size to avoid them doing a lot of fighting to determine who will become the dominant clownfish.

What kind of clownfish do you have?

Thanks ponokareefer. That's what I will do. Ocellaris.

pscott99
11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=635

Bought a new clown and pj cardinal. The clowns are already happy and even hosting playing in my green hammer. Yes I see the algae. Currently started bio pellets with phos down to .11. A work in progress. I seldom ever clean my back glass. Growth there stays out of the display. I attack my aptasia regularly. My gramma and my cleaner are one year old now as is the tank.

pscott99
11-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Update. Everyone is doing really well together now. My new clown, slightly smaller than the other, has already assumed the female role. They play together rolling around in my green hammer. They are a joy to watch, so I hope they stick around. My gramma doesn't even chase them away anymore. I think they wore him down.

pscott99
12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
My royal gramma is king of the tank and likes to keep them in line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXZ3hKijSc

Philster
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I've seen Paul's gramma and I swear he must feed that guy pork chops or something. Absolutely stunning fish and it's enormous :jaw: