reefme
11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Is this guy reef and shrimp safe?

Leah
11-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Nope!

daniella3d
11-14-2011, 12:53 PM
It's a hit or miss, but I would say yes according to my experience.

Mine is 110% reef safe and it is about 7" now. I got him when he was tiny. Does not touch any shrimp, any snails or my croccea clam. In fact, he really enjoy going to see the shrimp from time to time to have a little clean up once in a while.

I have read that they can be fine for years and then take bites off of fish but mine is an absolute sweetheart and has no aggressivity what so ever. The way to chose is to observe them at the store and take one that is shy and not bold. Those are usualy not dominant and aggressive fish. Mine was shy and still is shy now but no aggressivity.

They do need quite a bit of food and they become large. But my niger eat much less than my foxface for exemple, which was an absolute pig.

Mine has great personality. He has dig a cave underneat my liverock (glad I have egg crate to hold all this) and 2 days ago a frag of paly had detached from its plug and my frag rack and had rolled underneat the liverock and into his cave. I could not catch it in time and could not find it. I removed the rock that is hiding part of the entrance of his cave to fetch the coral and took that out. When the fish saw that I was cleaning up and removing coral stuck there, he went deeper inside his cave and brought a large acropora piece in is mouth and put it at the entrance of his cave so that I can pick that up as well. So sweet to see him with this large piece of acropora in his mouth, to bring it to me!

That acropora frag fell in the liverock after I cut it off and I could not find it so I gave up, and it went rolling underneat and right in the trigger's cave. This fish is so intelligent!

I think the trick is also to keep the fish well fed. I beleive they will attack shrimps and snails if they are hungry. Well fed they will be peacefull, but each fish has its own personality.

Is this guy reef and shrimp safe?

FishyFishy!
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
My Niger ate my emerald crab and 2 cleaner shrimp... but left anything with a shell alone.

Didn't touch my corals, but I've seen others that chomp away at them.

reefme
11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I guess I will flip my coin for heads or tails.
Right now is fish only tank plus shrimps.

Thank you guys!!!

reefwars
11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
mine was fine as well, im sure he would eat shrimp as they get bigger though:):) more of a bully than anything;)

reefme
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
mine was fine as well, im sure he would eat shrimp as they get bigger though:):) more of a bully than anything;)

If cleaner shrimp might not compatible, how about cleaner goby or some sort?

Reefer head
11-15-2011, 10:18 PM
I had a Niger trigger take a bit out of my firefish the trigger was only an inch or two

Dez
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I've had mine since last Feb where my wife requested it for valentine's day. It has been a model citizen since.

reefme
11-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I've had mine since last Feb where my wife requested it for valentine's day. It has been a model citizen since.

What are the fish you have in your tank?

Dez
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
If you look at the TOTM link in my signature, there is a list of fish I have in the article.

dsaundry
11-15-2011, 11:36 PM
If the fish is added after the shrimp you will probably be ok, but any shrimp, or snail added after are goners....

reefme
11-15-2011, 11:45 PM
If the fish is added after the shrimp you will probably be ok, but any shrimp, or snail added after are goners....

Oh no, I just add this guy today. I better add more shrimps, fish, and snails tomorrow. Tank so far 1 clown, 1 coral beauty, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 5 sand snails

reefwars
11-15-2011, 11:46 PM
If cleaner shrimp might not compatible, how about cleaner goby or some sort?

they are hit or miss from what people say most i have seen are actually fine in a reef, there are tales of them eating shrimp and bullying other fish, during feeding time most triggers are pretty dominant.

but mine was a saint as well for the couple of years i had him.

daniella3d
11-16-2011, 03:27 AM
I have a 7" niger trigger and added a peppermint shrimp long after he was in the tank and the trigger never touched it.

reefme
11-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I have a 7" niger trigger and added a peppermint shrimp long after he was in the tank and the trigger never touched it.

How abot sand sifter goby after Niger?

Gripenfelter
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I have one. He leaves the shrimp I ALREADY HAVE alone. Any new additions are gobbled up though. This includes fish. He nips at all new additions.

daniella3d
11-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I just added a mandarin and 2 small ocellaris clownfish and a few small crabs and my niger does not touch any of these new addition. I guess no matter what people say, it is the toss of a dice and one must try it because each fish will behave its own way. They are very intelligent fish and with very different personality. MY guess was that a shy one would not be aggressive and I was right...it is not.

dsaundry
11-24-2011, 03:07 PM

You got lucky, added a couple of shrimp and snails after my guy and he tore them apart, never touched the original guys though..weird.:question:

Aquattro
11-24-2011, 03:32 PM
How abot sand sifter goby after Niger?

I added one with my Niger, it never even made it to the sand...

reefme
11-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Mine made it to the sand but gone next day.
Now I want to give him away. If anyone want it PM me.

jorjef
11-24-2011, 03:47 PM

:jaw: One of those "I didn't know if I should laugh or scream situations!!"