PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cover

mnoll406
02-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey Everybody,
Just wondering how many reefers use a cover over their tanks? I'm using egg crate over my tank to keep the fish from jumping. Has this been an issue for anybody? Tank is a lot brighter when I remove to feed, and would like to take advantage of the extra light.

Mike

Aquattro
02-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I would never use a cover, just because it blocks so much light. I pay a lot of money to have that light and there is no way I'm going to filter it :razz:

What type of fish are you worried about jumping?

Canadian Man
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't use a cover. If a fish chooses to jump than so be it. My hood is mostly tight fitting toward the top of the tank as it's behind a wall. So the only real open parts are the ends of the tank.

My female clown jumped out of the tank when I had my 90g a few years ago.

Quinn
02-12-2004, 06:04 PM
If a fish chooses to jump than so be it.

Yeah! Who are we to dictate their choice of life or death? I believe in self-determinism for fish. :razz:

Canadian Man
02-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I hope no one thinks I'm a Jerk for saying what I said but there is only so much one can do. Like Reef Raf said. Why would you block the light you pay so much for? :confused:

Should we all run our light's 2 feet above the tank so the fish doesn't jump and burn themselves on the bulb or break a bulb? Then I could put 10 400w halides on my tank to get it bright enough :lol:

Quinn
02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
What we need is tank that come up a foot or more above the water level, and perhaps have those large lips sloped inward at perhaps a 70º angle. Now that I think about it, you could theoretically build something out of acrylic of this nature, with interlocking sides so they could be easily removed (or would it be too hot?).

Jack
02-13-2004, 12:15 AM
I've never used a cover.

Bob I
02-13-2004, 12:16 AM
I always use covers. :rolleyes:

Canadian Man
02-13-2004, 12:50 AM

Yes but, PC lights or halide far above the aquarium, low light corals. Glass covers might work in your situation.

Not harping on you Bob but Covering a tank won't work in "Most" situations.

mr_alberta
02-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Do you guys who don't use covers have some sort of shield between your bulbs and the water so that you don't get salt creep or water on the bulbs? How far away are they from the surface?

Thanks.

Canadian Man
02-13-2004, 01:06 AM
My bulbs are 8" off the surface and I don't get much spray. I might have to clean the bulb's and reflector every 6 months.

Aquattro
02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
My bulbs are 8" off the surface and I don't get much spray. I might have to clean the bulb's and reflector every 6 months.

Same here.

Delphinus
02-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Ditto. :mrgreen:

Bob I
02-13-2004, 03:46 AM

Not harping on you Bob but Covering a tank won't work in "Most" situations.

A question was asked, and I answered with what I do. There is no need for editorial comment or indeed a need for correcting what I do.

Gujustud
02-13-2004, 04:10 AM
http://www.ditchmond.com/gallery/albums/userpics/aquarium/diy/normal_DSC03731.JPG

I'm using a arcylic cover that I made.

Buccaneer
02-13-2004, 05:17 AM

Thats not quite true now is it Bob :eek: :razz:

Canadian Man
02-13-2004, 05:33 AM

Thats not quite true now is it Bob :eek: :razz: :lol: :rofl:

Bob I
02-13-2004, 03:54 PM

It is true up to a point. I once removed the cover from one tank, but have since put it back on, as I no longer use the MH light. :mrgreen:

mnoll406
02-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys,
That's what I figured. Have you ever had any problems with too much UV? I have 3 Acro's that are kinda pale. I only thought they went pale from too much UV. I'm running 6 95 watt VHO bulbs. Some of my SPS have great color, and then there are the 3 that are kinda pale looking.

Mike

Buccaneer
02-13-2004, 04:20 PM

It is true up to a point. I once removed the cover from one tank, but have since put it back on, as I no longer use the MH light. :mrgreen:

:rolleyes: < sigh >

Bob I
02-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Not to fire the flames of controversy, BUT , I am now able to add some real measurements to this post

I have again fired up the old 175W AB bulb (I was not running it due to heat problems.) It is now located eleven inches above my 20H. The Lux meter I bought from Dez some time ago has a probe that allows me to read the irradiance at the bottom of my tank. To make a long story short, I get a reading of 15,000 Lux at the bottom of the 16" deep tank. I am unable to discern a difference between readings with the glass cover in place or not. :eek:
The point is that if I am to go by what John Tullock says in his book, that 10,000 Lux is enough for most organisms I need not worry about the glass cover. If I can get used to the color I don't have to replace the bulb either. Unfortunately I like the looks of the 2X65W PC"s much better. :rolleyes:

I almost forgot another measurement. I have a piece of M. digitata that is growing well in my 50. The polyps are fully extended, and the tips are pinkish. The location is under 2X96W PC's under a 1/4 inch glass cover, and 8.5 inches under the light. The meter reads 5000 Lux. :eek:
I am providing this information so that you may all draw your own conclusions. :mrgreen:

mnoll406
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Bump

Thanks guys,
That's what I figured. Have you ever had any problems with too much UV? I have 3 Acro's that are kinda pale. I only thought they went pale from too much UV. I'm running 6 95 watt VHO bulbs. Some of my SPS have great color, and then there are the 3 that are kinda pale looking.

Anybody see this in their tanks?

Delphinus
02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
There are so many issues that can cause bleaching.

As for the UV question, I would have to say that I think the issue is "too much UV too quickly" not so much "too much UV." Now I've never worked with double-ended bulbs in an unsheilded situation so let's ignore that case, presumably there's too much UV from THAT; but I doubt you can really get too much UV from any kind of bulb, VHO, PC, or MH. However, going from one lighting situation to another, in a quick transition, can cause problems. It's like if you go to Cancun or something, if you acclimate yourself slowly to the sun you'll eventually be able to stay out in it longer but if you just spend the first day outside all the time, without sunblock, you're gonna get a sunburn.

These are the sorts of questions I ask myself if I notice something "odd" or "off" with a coral in my tank: How long have I had these pieces? Have they been moved recently? What situation with lighting were they in before? Are they in any kind of flow "shadow" ? Are there any neighbouring corals that could be interacting with them? Have I checked all your levels, pH, temp, NO3, PO4, etc.? Do I have macroalgaes nearby? mushrooms, leathers or softies nearby? etc.

FWIW, HTH, etc., ... good luck!

mnoll406
02-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey Tony,
I wouldn't call it bleaching, the colors have just faded. A prime example is a frag of that purple Acro I got from you. When I got it the tips were purple, and the lower branch was green. Now the whole thing is a light green. I also have another acro that I have had for a long time that started out a light green, and is now a whitish green. I also got a frag from Evan at the last frag swap that was a maroon/purple color, it is now a light purple with intensely purple tips. Just trying to figure out if my tank was getting too much UV or not enough. Most of the corals have great color, just those 3.

Mike

monza
02-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Mitch mentioned to me that more flow might help in that situation. There was a lengthy article on Reef.org regarding the topic. He might be able to comment more or post a link to the article.

Dave

MitchM
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Shirley...

:smile:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/media.htm

Mitch

monza
02-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Mike get some MH's for a wedding gift and those suckers will be super corolfull. ( Bob, that's not missplelled just a new word)

Dave

MitchM
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Question for Bob....

Bob, if you're using a cover and going skimmerless, how are you ensuring sufficient gas exchange?

Mitch

MitchM
02-19-2004, 06:37 PM
As for fading corals, I wouldn't keep acro's or any other "high energy reef zone" corals under anything other than MH. Those guys need high intensity light and high volume water flow.

Mitch

(jmho)

Bob I
02-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Question for Bob....

Bob, if you're using a cover and going skimmerless, how are you ensuring sufficient gas exchange?

Mitch

Covers don't fit tight. There are good sized gaps. My livestock appears happy :rolleyes: , so I am too. :mrgreen: