PDA

View Full Version : Next fish to add?

Nano
11-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a 20, and if some of you have been following my threads you'll know I had a salinity spike this weekend, which is now under control, you'll also know my clown had ich (or so we thought) It turned out it was just sand, but I am still treating the tank as if there was a case, just to be safe. So I know its going to be 2-4 weeks before I add anyone to my tank, but I need some opinions haha.
My tank is 20 gallons, with a 20 gallon sump, I have one ocellaris, a skunk cleaner, 2 hermits, one emerald crab and 2 snails. My ideas are as follows

6 line wrasse, I know I'd like one of these for sure
Some possible Ideas (no I'm not doing all of them lol)
yellow watchman goby
scooter blenny
bi color blenny
and thats all I've got. I'd love to have a green spotted target mandarin, BUT I dont think my tank would support him. (a guy can dream though right? lol)

any further suggestions? I'm looking for additions that are colorful, but also serve a purpose in the tank i.e. eating algae or nudis etc.

BMahura
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
I absolutely love my tail spot blenny.
Or a couple small bangaii cardinals
Some people will say a 20 gallon is big enough for a 6 line but IMO and from my experience they do not seem happy in that small of a tank

Nano
11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought of maybe a bangai. But I would also love something to eat nudis if and when I get any

paddyob
11-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Small tailspot is awesome. Personable.

I have had a six line for about 3 years. He was in my 20 for two years with 2 clowns , firefish, sleeper goby, spotted mandarin (eating mysis).

Model fish. BUT you must add him last. Great personality. Hardy. But territorial, hence adding last. He was unhappy when I added a fairy wrasse to his current 70g home... And well, killed her.

Spotted mandarins have a higher survival rate than blues, greens or reds. More adaptable and can be trained onto frozen.

Mine lived over two years until I had a crash- I moved the tank and apparently upset the balance.

I do NOT recommend this as a beginner fish but do not be afraid. I have a mandarin thread. Follow it. I added two - mistake - but
One is thriving under the right conditions. Also, it is the only fish
In a dedicated mandarin environment.

bignose
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
If you do add a mandarin make sure you make a save haven for the pods to live. The mandarin could eat the population really fast in a 20G.

Myka
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
The Scooter will have the same issues as the Mandarin, the other Blennies would be a good choice. I'm with BMahura, I don't think your tank is big enough for a 6-line...or any wrasse for that matter. Imo your tank would be full if you have the Clown, a YWG, and a Blenny. When they all grow to full size that would be a full tank. Why are you concerned about nudis?

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Well he will definitely be last if I add him. I want to make sure my tank is maturefirst. And if I did I would definitely make a small area safe for them to reproduce and thrive

reefme
11-13-2011, 08:29 PM
How old is your tank?

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM
The Scooter will have the same issues as the Mandarin, the other Blennies would be a good choice. I'm with BMahura, I don't think your tank is big enough for a 6-line...or any wrasse for that matter. Imo your tank would be full if you have the Clown, a YWG, and a Blenny. When they all grow to full size that would be a full tank. Why are you concerned about nudis?

Well my tank is going to be mostly zoo's and I have already had one or two but this was a month ago. I hear that wrasses are great for this but I don't want to have a fish in too small of a tank. That's not fair to it. Any gobies that take care of them? I know mandarins do but again I'm not ready for that yet.

Myka
11-13-2011, 08:31 PM
If you get a 6-line it will eat all the pods before a Scooter or Mandarin could get them anyway. Imo it would be irresponsible of you to try to keep either a Mandarin or a Scooter as the combination of having a small tank and also being a newbie is really bad news for those fish.

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:31 PM
How old is your tank?

7 weeks old. Still very young I just started adding coral

Myka
11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Use medicated dips for Zoa Nudis before adding them to your tank. Coral Rx works well.

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Use medicated dips for Zoa Nudis before adding them to your tank. Coral Rx works well.

Does iodine work for this too?

Myka
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Yep. You using Lugol's?

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Yep. You using Lugol's?

No haven't used anything yet, but I will in the future. I like that's tailspot they are pretty neat little buggers.

Leah
11-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I would not go with any Wrasses or Mandarins/Scooters. I would look at Gobies instead some real cool ones. For color a Yashia and the Twin spots are cool. But your tank is not even established yet. I'd wait before adding more fish. And also love my Tailspot.

Myka
11-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I like Coral Rx better, it seems to work on more critters, and the corals don't seem to mind it as much. I've lost a few LPS & SPS corals over the years with iodine-based dips. Zoas are tough, they don't mind the iodine.

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I would not go with any Wrasses or Mandarins/Scooters. I would look at Gobies instead some real cool ones. For color a Yashia and the Twin spots are cool. But your tank is not even established yet. I'd wait before adding more fish. And also love my Tailspot.

Yeah I agree and as said it'll probably be nearly a month before I add a fish. By then it'll be nearly 3 months. But the twin spot Toby was one I had forgot to mention on my list I love them as well cause they are nice fairly elaborate fish they don't get too big I've heard

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Also guys thanks as always for the help I am new so the more opinions the better

Leah
11-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Thought of another very entertaining fish for you a Canary Blenny.

Nano
11-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Blennies in general seem to be quite the characters from what I have seen. For now I'm happy with my clown as he has accepted our skunk cleaner and goes to him quite often to be cleaned its so neat to watch

reefme
11-13-2011, 09:17 PM
7 weeks old. Still very young I just started adding coral

Would it be too much adding (fish/coral) for just 7 weeks in 20G tank?

Leah
11-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Very likely

BMahura
11-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I have had lots of luck with coral RX. its worked great for me over the past year. Another neat little fish is a catalina goby. If you stick with nano gobies you can have a couple more fish. I have seen a couple nano goby tanks and i love them. This could be a possibility once your tank is a little more matue

reefme
11-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Take it easy, money is still there. If you add too much they might end up down the drain.

Nano
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
K.. I'm just going on advice from others remember so I was told its ok. Plus all my frags have one or two heads so they were like 5bucks. But I'm not planning on adding anymore if I shouldn't. I was just told it would be ok. Not really sure what to think or believe in this hobby everyone has a different opinion it seems

Myka
11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Another neat little fish is a catalina goby.

Catalina Gobies are temperate, not tropical.

Nano
11-13-2011, 09:46 PM

I was told it takes 4-6 weeks to cycle. I have cycles since mid august so if you count cycling time its 3 months, I was going from when it finished the cycle so 7 weeks ago my parameter were stable.

Myka
11-13-2011, 09:48 PM
You count when you set it up, so your tank is actually 3 months old.

I think you would get a real kick out of a Pearly Jawfish. They are one of my favourite fish to watch.

Nano
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah they're kinda cool looking. Man theres a lot of gobies to choose from. Yeah I did a 5 week cycle but it started in an 8 gallon, half way in I moved into a 20 so all the sand rocks and the water was put in then I cycle a further 3 weeks, so 5 total, then added clean up crew, and at 6 weeks seeing they were doing well I began adding a couple cheap frags. It's a slow process I know and I should've waited a couple more weeks before adding coral but they're all fine except my xenia but I'm ok with losing it cause I hear they can become a nuisance. At 9 weeks we got a clown fish and tomorrow marks week 12 so Yaa.. lol

reefwars
11-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah they're kinda cool looking. Man theres a lot of gobies to choose from. Yeah I did a 5 week cycle but it started in an 8 gallon, half way in I moved into a 20 so all the sand rocks and the water was put in then I cycle a further 3 weeks, so 5 total, then added clean up crew, and at 6 weeks seeing they were doing well I began adding a couple cheap frags. It's a slow process I know and I should've waited a couple more weeks before adding coral but they're all fine except my xenia but I'm ok with losing it cause I hear they can become a nuisance. At 9 weeks we got a clown fish and tomorrow marks week 12 so Yaa.. lol

your doing just fine nothing wrong with adding hardy corals(which yours are)once a cycle is complete so long as your cal/mg/alk and light is good enough.keep playing it slow and youll be fine.

wouldnt worry about the xenia if it dies then your one ahead:p but in all reality alot of people cant grow xenia in the healthiest of tanks while others are over ran with it lol

my wheelers watchman goby and tiger pistol pair are a fun couple to watch and stay small:)the goby is on alert all day by their den and at night they both come out and work on their home together:) cheers:)

Nano
11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks its nice to here I'm on the right track. I still need to make a few mods to the tank I.e. protein skimmer. Other then that, as said my next addition will be a while from now.

Leah
11-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Glad to hear the tank is further along then I first thought...take it slow and it will be great. :biggrin:

Nano
11-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Glad to hear the tank is further along then I first thought...take it slow and it will be great. :biggrin:

Thank you and I plan on being cautious Haha.