PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with cloudy water !

Acipenser
11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
So I thought it was micro bubbles from my 4 day old Hydor slim skim nano, after over 24 hours of the skimmer being off the water is still cloudy, I checked my water parameters and every thing is just shy of zero, I checked my ammonia 3 times in 24 hours and each time it was exactly the same.
The only thing that I can think of is that I recently added 5 snails, 10 blue legged hermits and two red hermits. they have been grazing all over my Live Rock. I think the cloudy water is from the residue they have left behind after eating whatever they have on the live rock.

I just did a 8 gallon water change on my 26 Gallon tank and am thinking about going out to buy an XP4 for mechanical filtration.

chevyjaxon
11-13-2011, 05:01 PM
New tank? Give it time if it is. If not try carbon that might help but in any case give it time it will probably settle on its own!

Acipenser
11-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Tank is a month old . The tank is cleared up quite a bit with the 30% water change, I still feel like I should add a mechanical filter even though everything I read say's I only need live rock and flow !I have a nano 425 GPH power head, I have at least 30lbs of L.R. that came from an established tank, plus the hydor slim skim nano, I also have a ac30 power head with the quick filter attachment stuffed full of filter floss (not in the tank at the moment ) that I used when I added the sand last month.

How would it be if I added a Rena XP4 and put foam on the bottom then carbon and maybe some LR rubble in the top baskets ? Would the XP4 Have too much flow ?

e46er
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Your gonna end up with nitrates using a canister filter
425 gph isn't that much in a 26g tank
I have around 50 times turnover In my tank

Beverly
11-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Canister filters export crud that would have stayed in a nitrate- and phosphate-producing tank. They must be thoroughly cleaned weekly to be effective :)

Acipenser
11-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys going to add some more LR and another nano power head.

burtonpj48
11-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Try to disconnect ur pumps and power heads overnight. if its just a slightly cloudy water. Let everything settle down. I had to unplug my return pump. Moved my heaters out ouf my sump into my display. The next day the tank was clear again.

Raf
11-14-2011, 01:29 AM
You said you checked your ammonia and it was exactly the same each time... What exactly is it??? My guess is you have some ammonia and nitrite... That's where the cloudiness is coming from. It's not from snails grazing on rock but it could be from snails dying

TimT
11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Cloudy/hazy water can also be caused by a bacterial bloom. If that's the cause then for a tank your size a 9 watt UV sterilizer would clear it up in a few days if set at the right flow rate.