PDA

View Full Version : Frags - dumb question

Coralgurl
11-13-2011, 03:40 PM
First, sorry if this is a dumb question! I have a bunch of new frags in my tank that I glued to some rock rubble. I've tried using the same stuff to attach the frags to my rock in my tank but it hasn't worked. Also, why are frag racks used in tanks? Again sorry if these are dumb questions!:redface:

BlueTang<3
11-13-2011, 03:43 PM
First, sorry if this is a dumb question! I have a bunch of new frags in my tank that I glued to some rock rubble. I've tried using the same stuff to attach the frags to my rock in my tank but it hasn't worked. Also, why are frag racks used in tanks? Again sorry if these are dumb questions!:redface:

I use frag racks to hold frags that are mounted on plugs, the frags can be held closer together for growing out with out taking much room, also great for keeping stuff organized. Are you using some sort of crazyglue?

Coralgurl
11-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm using aqua-glue gel from red coral. I've seen what appears to be pink playdo stuff that seems to hold rocks and plugs. My frags are either just sitting on my lr or if I can find a hole, jammed in but I really don't like where they are at the moment and they are getting knocked over by the snails.

I'm just getting into sps, so I'm not fragging anything, guess a rack isn't necessary?

BlueTang<3
11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
You can use a frag rack to place your new fras on to monitor them for anything. As for the glue u can use the epoxy i use crazy glue but it doesn't work as well. What u probably noticed is it gets a film on it as soon as it touches water. So put some glue on the plug and then dip it in the tank then remove and place more glue and then as fast as u can jam it where u want it and wiggle. If done correctly the film will break and the glue will hold to the rock.

Hawkaholic
11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
There are never dumb questions in this hobby. Remember EVERYONE started not knowing a thing about reefs. The pink playdo stuff takes awhile to cure so your corals may get knocked over before it sets. If you can, drain your water level enough so the rock is exposed...makes for easier placement and gluing. Frags racks are an eyesore in a main display tank but are great for acclimating SPS to your light. Its good practice to start your SPS fairly low in your tank and slowly move the frags up to the level you want. Good luck!!

mike31154
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Having a small frag rack comes in handy sometimes when you're contemplating on where to finally place a piece on your rockwork. In addition, some frags you get may be unmounted and if they are any type of soft coral or mushroom, they need time to attach to a frag plug. I've already lost one yuma ricordia that I crazy glued to a piece of marble & then to the rockwork thinking I was ok & the next day it was gone. They take time to take hold so you need a low flow protected area for them to attach over a period of a week or more.

Sometimes it helps to use a combination of crazy glue & two part epoxy. Use the crazy glue to attach frag to plug, then epoxy to pad the frag plug & attach to the LR. When you try to use crazy glue underwater, it tends to immediately harden & becomes ineffective. That's where the epoxy comes in handy. I've used Elmer Marine epoxy paste stick with some success. It looks like a stick of clay with outside & inner part being the two parts. You tear off a section, knead it between your fingers & then wrap it around the frag plug. I find this works well with odd shaped frag plugs, without a stem on them & allows me to jam them into crevices in the LR. It cures under water. These epoxy sticks are available made specially for our use, but I'm pretty sure they're identical to what I have, simply rebranded & upped in price. You just need to read the label carefully before buying to make sure there are no metal or other additives. Some of the waterproof two part sticks made for the plumbing trade have these nasty additives.

Currently I have a plastic cup attached close to the top of my tank with a couple of ricordia frags on a thin sand bed. Also have one of those square plastic containers that bean or alfalfa sprouts are packaged in at your local grocer with a grouping of zoas & a candy cane on frag plugs waiting for me to decide where I want to place them. Some of them already have holes in them to allow some water circulation, if not, you can always punch in a few more. Some sort of acrylic bracket for hanging them near the top will need to be made. Could use suction cups too, but I never trust them for any length of time, especially with a more valuable specimen.

Coralgurl
11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Will try some epoxy. I have a small chalice on a plug and I can't get it to stay anywhere. I attached all my frags on rock rubble and let them sit for a few minutes before I put in my tank, they are fine, just don't like the placement and would like to attach to the sides of some of my rock. Have to head to Rona for plumbing parts today so will see if there's anything appropriate there, getting in trouble for being at the fish stores too much...lol

Aquattro
11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Keep in mind epoxy is not glue and will not stick to rock. It's designed to be used to wedge a frag into a space and harden in place, physically binding the frag. It won't stick to flat surfaces, so make sure you've got a rough crevice or indentation to mount to.
Also, most (all?) putty you'll find at the hardware store typically has metal shavings in it, not approriate for reef use.

lastlight
11-13-2011, 05:26 PM
i make a tiny ball of the play-dough, put a dab of crazy glue on the frag, jam the ball into it and put another dab of glue on the other side of the ball. I mount my stuff to the rockwork and the glass too and it's never failed. The epoxy is a nice interface between the two surfaces since it forms to shape as you push the frag down. If I remember I also toothbrush the rock a bit before doing this.

Coralgurl
11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm going to try what I have and see if I just have to hold in place for a bit for it to stay. If not, will look for the appropriate product noted and give that a go.