PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Bio-media and Bio-balls in 28 Gallon AIO

lee9
11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
So I've seen this mentioned in a few threads and did a bit of research on the subject but just wanted to post this and get some feedback/advice.

I have a 28 gallon AIO cube. It has four chambers in the back. The first is the filter sponge. The second contains the bio-media (~ 4.5" x 3.5" x 12"). The third has the bio-balls and bags of chemi-pure and GFO (and heater). The fourth has the two pumps in it. I am running a Deltec MCE300 protein skimmer as well.

My aquarium has about 25 lbs. of live rock and has been up and running for about 9 months. I think it has a fairly heavy bioload due to the amount of fish and anemones. I want to remove the bio-media and bio-balls and see if it made a difference in my nitrate levels . I do weekly water changes though so the nitrate level never usually gets above 5 – 10 ppm.

I was thinking of removing the bio-media/balls over the course of three weeks.

1st week – 1 bag of bio-media
2nd week – 1 bag of bag of bio-balls
3rd week – 1 bag of bio-media.

I would siphon out any detritus in the chambers when I remove them and replace with a few larger pieces of live rock. I was also thinking of putting some chaeto and a submersible light in that chamber with the live rock and have the light on at night when the main lights are off.

Anybody see any issues with my plan? Thanks.

Myka
11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a good plan. I would skip the live rock though, and just put chaeto and a light in there. The chaeto needs to tumble in the current in order to be the most efficient. It would probably get hooked on the live rock. That filter sponge you're using do you rinse it or change it out? How often do you do that?

lee9
11-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Myka.

Good to know about the chaeto. Ok. I'll either keep that compartment free of live rock or experiment with some kind of tray so it won't get caught.

I do clean the filter sponge very well once a week when I do my water change. I have been meaning to replace it but it's an odd size (3.5" x 3.5" x ~16") and I haven't found the same one yet. I was thinking of maybe just cutting up a few long peices of filter pad instead and then just throwing it out on water changes.

Myka
11-12-2011, 10:08 PM
You're welcome. :)

I was thinking of maybe just cutting up a few long peices of filter pad instead and then just throwing it out on water changes.

That's a good idea. Media shouldn't be reused in a saltwater tank. You should be able to find flat, bulk media for cheap. If not go to a fabric store (or Walmart sewing section) and buy 100% polyester quilting batten, the flat stuff, not the fluffy floss stuff. Look for stuff that is about 1" thick.

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/images/products/CK0817_1.jpg