PDA

View Full Version : Mass Power Outages - Lower Mainland

philg3
11-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Lower Mainland and Surrounding Areas are dealing with major wind storms that are causing Power outages all over the place.

I work in a security monitoring station and things are pretty crazy in here... but I found some time to alert my fellow reefers. If you live in the lower mainland, CHECK ON YOUR TANK.

RuGlu6
11-11-2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.bchydro.com/outages/orsMapView.jsp
zoom in to your area

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks. So far Burnaby South looks ok. The winds have died down but we definitely had a wind storm & hail earlier.

toytech
11-11-2011, 11:31 PM
The lights flickered in abbotsford alot , but i think we will be ok for now.

apexifd
11-12-2011, 04:48 AM
power was out here in some part of richmond from 2pm-9pm... the known damage so far...

mystery wrasse X 1
cleaner wrasse(MIA) X 2
leopard wrasse(MIA) X 1
six line wrasse(MIA) X 1

wait... that looks like my entire collection of wrasse.

Leah
11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
power was out here in some part of richmond from 2pm-9pm... the known damage so far...

mystery wrasse X 1
cleaner wrasse(MIA) X 2
leopard wrasse(MIA) X 1
six line wrasse(MIA) X 1

OMG! :sad: So sorry to hear this.... hopefully it stops there.

Reef Pilot
11-12-2011, 02:03 PM

mystery wrasse X 1
cleaner wrasse(MIA) X 2
leopard wrasse(MIA) X 1
six line wrasse(MIA) X 1

Sorry to hear that. Usually we get power outages here in Langley with any storm, but we escaped this time.

Was it the temp drop in your tank that did in your wrasses? How much did it drop in that time period?

mark
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM

mystery wrasse X 1
cleaner wrasse(MIA) X 2
leopard wrasse(MIA) X 1
six line wrasse(MIA) X 1

probably just hiding in the sand until things back to normal.

Wondering, Leopard and Six line get along okay?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
The MIA wrasses may be hiding in the rocks & the leopard wrasse is probably hidden in the sand. At least I hope so.

Casey8
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh no ... very sorry to hear your lost :sad: Hope they are just hiding somewhere ...

r.a.s.henson
11-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Anthony could be right, wrasses are know to hide for days
Especially when they're stressed out. Couple weeks back
We had a power outage in out area(57th-marine dr of fraser)
I received a phone call hours later. When I got home I found
Disaster.I lost so much fish that I almost post my set up for sale.
List:
Sohal
Flame angel
Bicolor angel
4 dispar anthias
2 blennies
2 chromis
Ocellaris clown
Banana wrasse
And maybe more to come as my set up still in a bad shapeo.

philg3
11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Sad to hear there were losses yesterday, i wasnt worried about my tank since i have no fish currently, but was hoping i might save somebody else some heartbreak.

I live in Richmond as well, and it looked like a war zone when i got home last night. both my wooden gates had been torn off the hinges and there was debris everywhere.

apexifd
11-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Wondering, Leopard and Six line get along okay?

yes.. the 2 wrasse actually get along okay.. leopard does get pick on from time to time. but, after the initial aggression from the six line in the first week, six line stops picking on leopard. I guess having a leopard that eats prepare food does help.

I am hoping most of fish are just in the hiding. I am going to do a head count when I get home today.

temp drop to 74 or so, pH was probably about 7.5 before I got the vortech and air pump online before the power comes back.

a line from Halo "No Spartan is kill in action, they are just missing in action."

I guess until I see the body they are still alive somewhere.

apexifd
11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
quick update.

mystery wrasse still remain KIA.
six line is MIA

however everyone else is back.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah!!!!

Of course Murphy's law requires that you lose your most expensive wrasse.

Glad the other's were only hiding in the sand/rocks.

cwatkins
11-13-2011, 04:34 AM
WOW! Was it the temp drop or the lack of water movement?

We had a planned power outage over the summer, for BC hydro to move an underground vault in the neighbourhood. Power was off at like 8am to 4pm.

Didn't lose a single thing.

But I do have the Vortech battery backup.

apexifd
11-13-2011, 05:21 AM
WOW! Was it the temp drop or the lack of water movement?

We had a planned power outage over the summer, for BC hydro to move an underground vault in the neighbourhood. Power was off at like 8am to 4pm.

Didn't lose a single thing.

But I do have the Vortech battery backup.

I have a spare charged up car battery and dc/ac power inverter.. that's what I used to get the vortech and air pump going to same time.

I think it's was mostly due to lack of oxygen.

Raf
11-13-2011, 06:08 AM
battery powered airpumps and a thick blanket....best investment over the years and years of constant power outages on Bowen. More extreme measures, a generator and a gas fireplace or even a good wood burning fireplace insert/unit.