PDA

View Full Version : Major RO/DI Fail

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 02:47 PM
so i was just topping up my ATO container and measured the TDS in it...... it measured 1580 TDS!!!!! from my fricking RO/DI unit.

I just flushed the RO membrane couple days ago. but i cant believe its higher than my tap water (170 TDS)

wtf is wrong with this thing?

sphelps
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
something in the container? verify results from RO.

Waste line mixed up with good RO line?

Membrane failure? Although results still shouldn't be that high.

TDS goes up after a flush but usually only a few TDS and then comes back down fairly quickly.

Myka
11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
After testing 1580 ppm from the RO, did you immediately test the tap water at 170 ppm? I'm just wondering if the meter is kaput.

To figure out where the high TDS is coming from check the tap water, then check the water immediately after the sediment filter (disconnect the hose between the sediment and the carbon and test the water that comes out), then test immediately after the carbon block, then test immediately after the RO (be careful to check the proper line, check the one that goes to the DI resin), then check after the DI resin. Collect the water in a clean shot glass for testing. By testing each stage you will find out where the contamination is coming from. If everything tests ok then it is probably your storage container.

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
sorry guys forget this thread ever happened... im an idiot

i recently used the container to mix saltwater and it wasnt completely empty when i started adding RO water

Blom
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
LOL :hurt:

Ive done that a few time...

Myka
11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Hehehe... :D

Delphinus
11-11-2011, 06:32 PM
:lol: Glad you got it sorted...

Although..

I just flushed the RO membrane couple days ago. but i cant believe its higher than my tap water (170 TDS)

FWIW, it's better if you flush your membrane for about 5 minutes for every time you use it. When the RO sits there idle, the TDS creeps up so the first few minutes when you turn it on there is a "TDS surge" where the TDS coming off the membrane will be pretty much tap water level. This might get all absorbed by the DI but obviously it will deplete your DI that much faster. Plus it's harder on the membrane. So I suggest just flush it everytime you use it - you'll get way more longevity out of your DI and your RO membranes.

(Unless you're having it on all the time - although doing that will exhaust your membranes much faster than simply filling a reservoir every couple of days.)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Hahhaha. Better than actually having something go wrong. I measure from the line, not in a container.