PDA

View Full Version : aquarium photography

figdish
11-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Being new to the interest of photography of aquariums and also new to my Canon EOS it would be nice if others who have been shooting their tanks for a while to help out with the settings needed to take nice shots of our tanks when lights are on and when they are off. I am also new to salt so kinda frustrating when I try to take pics of my tank when lights are out but I know there is action going on in tank. Don't want to upset everyone inside with flash. Even tried utube and not much help!

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 12:37 PM
The biggest rule to follow is use a tripod and shoot perpendicular to the glass. Shoot with the lights on and with the highest possible shutter speed.

Don't bother ever trying to shoot with a flash unless you can get it off camera and above the tank. Any on camera flash will reflect off the glass.

Lastly, always shoot raw! So u can fix anything later. Mainly white balance

Parker
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know if it holds true or not but I was also told to make sure the rest of the room is black, the only light in the room coming from the tank itself. I've seen some pretty nice pictures with ambiant light in the room, maybe being back just makes it easier.

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
and do yourself a huge favor and turn all the pumps off and let the water settle. This will result in less debri to clone out in post.

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't know if it holds true or not but I was also told to make sure the rest of the room is black, the only light in the room coming from the tank itself. I've seen some pretty nice pictures with ambiant light in the room, maybe being back just makes it easier.

It does make it eaier

lastlight
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
A quick warning to your sand-sifters to relax for a bit or no food that evening also helps to keep the water clear.

sphelps
12-13-2011, 03:45 PM
A quick warning to your sand-sifters to relax for a bit ....
One day you'll have to teach me that trick

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes me to please...

lastlight
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I've always been forced to employ "no food that evening" sorry guys :lol:

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I wish I had of know of that rule a few weeks ago.....sand sifters were creating sand storms in the tank.