PDA

View Full Version : I think its ich?

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:19 AM
How do I treat this

The Grizz
11-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Feed with lots of garlic soaked foods, there is a Garlic Extreme you can get at LFS.

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:28 AM
anything else? water additives etc?

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:29 AM
I mean He isnt going to die right away is he? lol

The Grizz
11-11-2011, 05:32 AM
No other additives, your clown should be ok. Just make sure to feed it lots of garlic injected foods and don't stop with the garlic. I feed my tank pellets that have garlic in them and have not seen any ick for a long time.

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:32 AM
thanks man I appreciate it, He's my little buddy lol.

dc4
11-11-2011, 05:36 AM
If he is still eating lots and not breathing heavy or staying near the top of the water level, he's still ok for now.

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:38 AM
oh yeah he eats like a pig and hes very active and attentive to me when i come by the tank he seems fine maybe itchy lol

daniella3d
11-11-2011, 02:37 PM
If you want to get rid of ick in you tank then you can do a hyposalinity treatment in a quarantine tank, but if you are a beginner in saltwater I would not do it as it must be supervised closely with a good well calibrated refractometer and ammonia must be monitored a few times per day if necessary. Putting well cured liverock in the hyposalinity quarantine tank is a good way to avoid ammonia. Salinity can be lowered rather fast but raising it must be done very slowly to let the fish adjust, no more than 0.003 point per day. Hyposalinity must be at 0.009 for 4 weeks after the last kyst have disapeared.

Cupramine is another good med for this but again it is something that must be done in a quarantine tank and again ammonia is a silent killer then and it cannot be controlled with Prime as that will bind the amine in Cupramine and relase the copper into a toxic form.

YOur main tank would need to be without any fish for 6 weeks at least.

The garlic thing never worked for me so each time I get a new fish I quarantine it and it receive a dip in Seachem Paraguard for one hour before it even enter the quarantine tank. If anything show up I treat, if nothing show up, the fish spend 4 weeks min. in the quarantine tank and before it goes into the main tank it receive another one hour dip in Paraguard just to be safe.

Without doing this, you will probably have ich in your main tank showing up on regular basis, when ever the fish will be stressed or when ever you introduce some new fish. Clownfish are quite resistant but some other fish are not so.

It is also beleived that ich exaust itself after 10 generation or so. Not sure if this is true but if it is, then if you don't add any new straing of ich in your tank than it might go away and disapear eventually.

Nano
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, my clown appears to be ich free today, but I am sure it coud be the calm before the storm, I am getting some skunk cleaners as i hear they are good for this, as well as some treatments, to treat him from any further outbreaks, unfortunately I do not currently have a QT but He is the ony fish so the lfs said he should be ok, but just to wait a month or more before adding fish to be sure its gone.

dc4
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Ive had my clown with bits of sand on it before which worried me into thinking it was ich but if its gone after a day, it may just be sand particles stuck on it.

Nano
11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Ive had my clown with bits of sand on it before which worried me into thinking it was ich but if its gone after a day, it may just be sand particles stuck on it.

I think that might be a possibility He is always playing in the sand. His diet is already rich with garlic, but I am still going to treat the tank as if he might just to play it safe

daniella3d
11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Treat the tank with what exactly? if you have coral or invert in there, there is no medicine that will be effective against ick and not kill your invert or coral.

YOu cannot put copper or cupramine in your main tank as this will not only kill your coral and invert but will also contaminate your liverock with copper.

I would feed well and observe for now since it's the only fish. That might have been just some dirt or sand, hard to say.

I think that might be a possibility He is always playing in the sand. His diet is already rich with garlic, but I am still going to treat the tank as if he might just to play it safe