PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Remover.... Fail

MarkoD
11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
So i've done everything i can think of to get rid of the cyano. but nothing, it was getting so bad that it was covering my corals.

so last night i used red slime remover.... and nothing, got home from work today and it looks just as bad as it did yesterday. and the skimmer isnt going crazy anymore so i assume the medication is done

any other ideas on what to do?

Klila
11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I could be wrong, but you may have to turn the skimmer off...at least most meds require you turn off any UV, skimmer and charcoal. Re read the fine print...:razz:

MarkoD
11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I could be wrong, but you may have to turn the skimmer off...at least most meds require you turn off any UV, skimmer and charcoal. Re read the fine print...:razz:

It straight up says don't turn off any of those things

reefwars
11-10-2011, 11:05 PM
try a blackout for a few days, completely cover up the tank no ambient lighting what so ever.

which brings the question are you sure its cyano, dinos is still a possibilitie , phtographer like yourself should be able to get some close pics ;)

feel your pain buddy good luck:)

sphelps
11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
What brand?

I've used chemical treatments before and they'll always worked however it won't just make it disappear. You have to manually remove as much as possible first then dose it and then continue to remove as much as possible afterwards until eventually it's all gone, then and only then will you be in the clear.

MarkoD
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I used the ultra life one

MarkoD
11-10-2011, 11:33 PM
try a blackout for a few days, completely cover up the tank no ambient lighting what so ever.

which brings the question are you sure its cyano, dinos is still a possibilitie , phtographer like yourself should be able to get some close pics ;)

feel your pain buddy good luck:)

wouldnt that cause my corals to die

Hawkaholic
11-10-2011, 11:42 PM
I've used the Red Slim Remover before but I turned off my skimmer. After 48 hrs I did a water change and turned the skimmer back on. The cyano went away but came back which of course didn't help the problem. Another thing to try is get yourself some Erythromycin (Maracin). It comes in packets now I believe...add one packet for every 30G of water...turn off your skimmer and remove carbon. After 48 hrs do a water change and replace carbon and of course turn the skimmer back on. This has also worked for me but again it came back. Allot of the things they sell you only masked the problem...doesn't help it any...just makes them go away for a little while.

Good Luck

reefwars
11-10-2011, 11:46 PM
wouldnt that cause my corals to die

corals can go without light for a few days, no different then really dark clouds:)

MarkoD
11-10-2011, 11:51 PM
heres pictures

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2011-11-10at55615PM.png

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2011-11-10at55623PM.png

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2011-11-10at55714PM.png

Delphinus
11-10-2011, 11:59 PM
It straight up says don't turn off any of those things

That can't be right... I've used Ultralife before, I don't remember it saying that, but it's been a while.

This is what I remember of the stuff..

1) It makes your water pee yellow for 1/2 hour but does eventually clear up.
2) It makes your skimmer go berserk. You have to turn the air right down or turn it off. It's better to leave it on though and let it spill back into the tank. This way you have a little bit of air exchange going on because as the cyano dies off it will create an oxygen deficit in the tank.
3) It takes at least 2 days, if memory serves, before you start to see any effect. Depending on how bad the cyano is, it might take up to a week to clear. If it's really bad you might have to do it twice.
4) Once clear, you put your carbon on to start pulling out the slime remover, do a water change, and start your skimmer back up. You likely have to ramp up the airflow very slowly otherwise it will just overflow right away all over again.
5) If works really well, but it only clears the cyano. If what caused the cyano isn't fixed, the cyano will eventually come back.

Hope this helps..

PS/Edit: I remember now that the last time I used it, it took about a week for the cyano to die off, and it took almost another whole week to reset the tank after that back to normal. I find the stuff does work well, but it is a matter of last resort just because it's such a pain to manage the tank throughout the treatment.

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Box says to continue use of slimmer but to dial it down. My water is still yellowish 24 hours later

Delphinus
11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
The skimmer is really good at removing the red slime remover. What I do is just let it overflow like crazy but just dump back into the sump (if it's, say, in sump). I guess if you have an external skimmer that might be more challenging, in which case it might be better just to lower the water level in the skimmer to the point it doesn't actually fill the collection cup. Even still though that might have the red slime remover bound up in that foam that will sit at the water surface..

daniella3d
11-11-2011, 01:06 AM
It can take a few days and two or more treatments before you see the effect. Remember that cyanobacteria has some food reserve and it can live a certain time without nutriment so you got to let it strave before you see the effect.

Most people see the effect 48 hours after the second treatment.

So i've done everything i can think of to get rid of the cyano. but nothing, it was getting so bad that it was covering my corals.

so last night i used red slime remover.... and nothing, got home from work today and it looks just as bad as it did yesterday. and the skimmer isnt going crazy anymore so i assume the medication is done

any other ideas on what to do?

Reef Pilot
11-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I used Chemi-clean on a tank a couple months ago, one treatment and it never returned. I first got out as much as I could with a tooth brush and turkey baster, and then applied the Chemi-clean exactly as per instructions, incl changing water 48 hours later. I was prepared to do a 2nd treatment, but it wasn't necessary.

Previously I wrestled for 6 months or more with cyano in this tank, trying everything, and it would always return. But not this time. So the stuff works, I am convinced of that.

Myka
11-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Just take the skimmer cup off so it spills over...keeps the tank aerated as Tony says adding oxygen is very important in the treatment. It does take several days for the cyano to melt away. Adding a filter sock to the drain and changing it every morning before the lights come on will really help too.

dc4
11-11-2011, 05:24 AM
I used a cyano remover and it cleared up my entire sandbed within 24 hours, on my box it said to turn off skimmer and remove any carbon. My skimmer was still going nuts for a few days after a 35% water change. Did you check the dosage? I had to use 8 of those tiny scoops for my tank and sump.

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I followed instructions to a tee. I used 16 scoops for 250 gallons total volume

daniella3d
11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Another possibility is that what you have may not be cyano but rather dinoflagellates? in that case it is a very different treatment.

I used Seachem HO for elevating my PH without raising my KH and it worked well for me to remove all the dino. It never returned.

Myka
11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Doesnt look like dinos.

mayheim
11-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey Marko. I just used a product called "Chemi clean" red slime remover treats up to 900 gallons, comes in a powder form. Turned off my skimmer, took carbon and any other media out of my sump. one teaspoon per 10 gallons. put carbon backin after 24 hrs., and turned on my skimmer after 48 hrs. It says to do a 20% water change also after 48 hrs, but I waited an extra 3 days and just did my weekly water change. Slime completely gone. I have done this to my fish only tank and reef tank, with no ill effects. Also cut back on the feeding, tend to ovefeed at times which causes the growth. I just finished this whole process this morning. Tanks look great.

paddyob
11-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Red slime treatment is not like an ATM. It's not an instant remedy.

If you read it says more than one treatment may necessary... Along with a water change at x days. And yes... Turn off the skimmer It removes it.

I used it along with manually removing and it took 6 weeks.

I think you have an issue you have yet to identify. Everyone claims their tank parameters are good... But something you are doing is causing the cyano.

A well maintained tank usually has controllable algae.

Good luck.

paddyob
11-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I followed instructions to a tee. I used 16 scoops for 250 gallons total volume

Did you compensate for displacement caused by rock volume? You could have I'll effects by over dosing.

What brand of red slime?

It seems you are the only one with a box stating leave skimmer on.

MarkoD
11-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Cause of cyano is over feeding while I was on vacation.

And yes the box says to keep slimmer on. I'll take a picture of it of I still have it. Brand is ultra life red slime remover

Reef Pilot
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
My Chemiclean instructions say to turn the skimmer off. So sounds like it is not the same stuff.

Trigger Man
11-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I've used the chemiclean product in the past and had good results as well.

Delphinus
11-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I've used both over the years. To me they are similar (although not identical) products. I seem to recall they both smelled like banana flavored candy to me for example. But Chemiclean is a white powder and RSM is a yellow powder. They might not be the same thing. I think you can also use Erithromycin but I've never tried this myself so don't quote me on that.

I think in a way they are both right because the same sort of thing happens with either of them: 1) the skimmer goes nuts, and 2) the O2 level depletes in the tank as the cyano starts to die off and rot, thereby increasing the risk of suffocation/asphyxiation of the tankmates.

Therefore, leaving the skimmer "on" means it will likely overflow and make a mess, and leaving it "off" takes away something that helps with re-oxygenation. Nothing is black or white, but there are a million shades of grey. :lol:

My advice is:
1) If the skimmer is in the sump, just leave it on and let it overflow back into the tank, as there is no risk of flooding your floor or emptying your sump.
2) If the skimmer is a hang on the back style, or external to the sump, then leave it on, but dial the air intake as far down as possible. Lower the water level in the skimmer if you can too. This way it's still bubbling away, but not emptying the tank.
3) If you don't have a skimmer at all then stop being so eccentric and just go out and buy one. (JUST KIDDING. Sheesh, put the tomatoes away. Everyone's a critic.. :lol: ). But seriously, if no skimmer, then maybe add a powerhead to agitate the water surface or something like that just to keep up with the O2/CO2 exchange.

Hope this helps..

Myka
11-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Good advice Tony.

My ChemiClean instructions say to turn off the skimmer, but to add an airstone. I said, "F that crap, I'll just let the skimmer overflow." Kill two birds with one stone! Ha! It did take almost two weeks for my skimmer to run consistently after the treatment. I had the water level way down, and every time I would adjust it up it would overflow in an hour or two, then I would turn it down and wouldn't get any skimmate...it was frustrating.

paddyob
11-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Cause of cyano is over feeding while I was on vacation.

And yes the box says to keep slimmer on. I'll take a picture of it of I still have it. Brand is ultra life red slime remover

Whatever the brand... It will work with diligence. I used it in several maintenance tanks when I was with AI...and at home, Skimmer off as it directed at the time I guess.. Water change and siphon.

Works.

MarkoD
11-12-2011, 08:22 AM
here's what the box says " For best results, DO NOT turn off UV Sterilizer or Ozonizer. Continuation of Protein Skimming is recommended but may require adjustment.
Due to Increased biological digestion of organic solids we recommend increasing your O2 levels by the addition of airstones prior to and during treatment.
No need for Water changes or Removal of Carbon Filtration. "

also read about it here

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Red_Slime_Remover_Red_Slime_Cyanobacteri a_Remover_Medications-Ultralife-UL1311-FIMERM-vi.html

Reef Pilot
11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I just don't think your product works as well as Chemiclean. As per past posts, many, incl myself, have had good success with Chemiclean.

In my case, I just turned off the skimmer, and followed the instructions exactly, since I had plenty of flow and aeration in the tank already. I turned it back on after the water change.

One treatment, and cyano was gone for good. Corals and fish were not affected.

MarkoD
11-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Either way. I put a filter sock on and removed all the cyano manually

Reef Pilot
11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
One other thing I should mention with my mine, is that I started using MB7 (beneficial bacteria) after my Chemiclean treatment. I had already been using it with my other tank with my bio pellets as cyano preventative (and never did have cyano in it). The theory is that beneficial bacteria seeded by MB7 out competes cyano.