PDA

View Full Version : Question on zoas only tank

Oilers
11-10-2011, 03:42 AM
I have been collecting zoas frags from various sources and I am thinking of setting up a tank that will house only zoas but have no idea where to start. I know that there are a few canreefers out there that are experts in this field. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
1) What is the minimum size of tank I would need? Would a nano tank work? What would consider to be the ideal tank dimension for zoas? Tall, short, wide?
2) What is the best lighting for zoas? MH? T5? LED??
If you can think of anything else, please feel free to post them.

Snufflupagus
11-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Well I'm not a Zoa expert by any means, but I used to run a 10gallon tank with zoas, and they did unbelievable in it. I had a 250MH light on it, yes over kill, but they seemed to love it. Just make sure to do water changes and there shouldn't be a problem.

Nano
11-10-2011, 05:41 AM
I am also not an expert, but I have a 20 gallon with double strip t5 1 white 1 blue, as well as day leds and lunar leds, they love the lunar, and look beautiful under them as the glow almost like a black light effect, very sexy lol. I think any size would be fine my friend has an 8 gallon cube Zoa garden and its so nice

daniella3d
11-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I personally would go with a 20 gallons and 250 watt MH or 150 watt MH. I don't have the colors as nice in my nano under T5ho than what I have in the same zoanthids specie under my 250 watt MH in my 75 gallons tank. Some are right underneat the MH and are awesome! Especially the palythoas seem to like very high light. The pink and gold turn brown under the T5HO and at the bottom of the MH tank but at the top, right underneat the MH they are a very nice gold full of speckles and with a pink skirt.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_0467s.jpg

My eye of rae right underneat the 250 watt pheonix:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_0791s-1.jpg

and this one lose its color if not right underneat the 250 watt and become sort of dark bluish. The more light it gets the more white it has. I have not tried this one with my T5HO.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_0822s.jpg

Some zoanthids I have in my tank much prefer lower light and shrivel when exposed to to much light, whereas all my paly seem to prefer very high light. In any case, none of my paly color up as much under the T5HO (4 x 24 watt) than what they do under MH Pheonix 14k.

So a 20 ou 30 gallons tank with weekly water change, no need for a skimmer and a good light with some liverock for filtration and that would probably be good. At least that's how I plan to do it but I am no expert by any mean.

I have not tried LED but I would surely love to see how these 3 color up under the right LED.

Oilers
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow, that's quite a difference between MH and T5 there. Has anybody tried using LED?
Daniella3d: Would the zoanthids lose color if you put them too close to the light or put too much light into the tank?