PDA

View Full Version : It's 1000 boys!!! Help with clownfish eggs

jboy929
02-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi there,
I thought I had a new coral growing in my tank as there was an interesting new purplish mass on a samll rock next to my anenome that my two percula clowns have been paying very close attention to.
I have just realized that these must be clownfish eggs!!! :mrgreen:
I am very proud, as after all the skimmers Ca reactors, MH lighting and so forth, my tank seems to be coming around into a natural environment.

However, I do need some help. I'm not sure what to do... Should I try to raise the fry? if so, how? will they live in their parent anenome if I leave things alone, or will they get eaten by the other fish?

Any suggestions, comments, or directions to furter resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

ruck'n'reefer
02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Congrat's, you must be a proud Papa!!! Do you have a pic for us?

jboy929
02-11-2004, 10:39 PM
I'll take a picture of the eggs tonight and post them here. Hopefully, this will spwan (pardon the pun) some good suggestions.

J

Canadian Man
02-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Chances are none of the eggs will survive in the tank. They will get eaten.
If one want's to raise them you would have to take them out and supply the eggs with a seprate aquarium, lot's of waterchanges and once they hatch they need the correct food.

zulu_principle
02-11-2004, 11:08 PM
With the natural predators in the tank it is unlikely any will survive.

If you are really interested pick up a copy of Joyce Wilkersons book Clownfishes.

But first things first:

Get rotifer culture started and stable.
Phytoplanton if required, but better to buy a concentrated product, DT, Tahitian Blend, etc.
Set up another system for holding of the eggs the night before the hatching and the initial growout.

Congrats and best of luck.

Wendell

AJ_77
02-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Do you read the Anemones & Clownfishes forum at Reef Central? You can learn a lot from there also.

jboy929
02-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks guys...

I am getting the Wilkerson book couriered to me toinght, so I am going to make a go of this. I have a brand new 5 gallon tank and canopy I am going to set up as the rearing tank with two airstones for circulation, and Illl place the LR rock the eggs are on inside it before they hatch. Until I get the book and am able to fully study however, I have some questions which I think will have to be answered in the meantime...

1)I know about the silver eyes being a hatching sign, but how do I know hatching is imminent?
2)I am in Calgary, I have a brine shrinp hatchery, but how can I get rotifers or green water?

I'll post s picture of the eggs tonight.

Thanks
Jason

jboy929
02-12-2004, 01:36 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a site to post the imgae of the eggs to, so if anyone is interested, I'll email one.

Thanks

EmilyB
02-12-2004, 02:11 AM
You will probably find that the critters on the rock consume the larvae before they hatch, once removed from parental care. At least that is what I found.

To truly rear the larvae, you must get the fish to lay in better conditions.
The Wilkerson book will tell you more. Don't worry, there will be many more batches of eggs.

:biggrin:

P.S. If you DO get any fry, I am getting rotifers in.

jboy929
02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the help everyone....

Unfortunately, I am now way out of my league with knowlegde here. I really want to give this a go, but here are my two main problems:

1) 1st food. I live in Calgary, so there is no way I can get my rotifers or alge discs from the US in time. So, I would have to rely on my homemade green water to sustain them. Will this work?

2)I am getting conflicting advice on whether to keep the LR with the eggs in the main tank, or move them into the rearing tank. As it's going to be very tough for me to watch the tank constantly at night, my plan is to move the LR into the rearing tank as close to hatching as possible.

Advice on my chances of success or what to do would be appreciated from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks again
J

Quinn
02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Most of the guys who are doing this in RC seem to use a piece of tile. Once the eggs are on it, they move it into the rearing tank right away. You should check the Clownfish and Anemones forum over there.

Arty Morty
02-12-2004, 06:44 PM
I will post the pictures for you if you send them to my e-mail.

Oh and look--------------------------------------->you have a PM :biggrin:
________
FEMALE ADVICE FORUMS (http://www.love-help.org/female-advice/)

roverT
02-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Whan about half of the eggs go silver then they are likely to hatch that night. Ocean Aquatics sells rotifers so you might want to check them out.
If you put the rock in the other tank place the eggs in a position so that the airstone is still making the eggs rock and if you leave the eggs in with the parents then be prepared to stay up for a while that night with the pumps off and a flashlight at the surface of the water. I think they should hatch within a couple of hours after lights out. There is a little bit about hatching at http://www.aquarium-design.com./clownfish.html If you can't get rotifers in time then I have heard of people trying ground up spirulina flakes with some success.

zulu_principle
02-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Listen to EmilyB, there will be many more clutches for you to grow out. I know its hard, and EmilyB will attest I'm sure to the same feeling when you first start seeing the clutches "you want to do it now"

That being said, unless you get your first culture of rotifers from www.instant-algae.com or some similar company you will be unable to use your first batch of rotifers to feed your newly hatched babies. The densities are far to weak and you need them to start reproducing. Ask Chad, his culture is very stable but it does take a few weeks.

As for the rock movement, if thats what they are laying on, that's what you need to move. In my experience its very difficult to get them to hatch on a tile or flower pot after they have started to lay regularly, so introduce something now.

As for growing phyto, those great setup's you see with the 5 - two litre pop bottles are great but its a PITA, contamination, crashes, etc. You can get a 60 mL nannochlorpsis that would last you about 3 months. Check with www.instant-algae.com for some of the details on rotifer cultures as well.

All the best.

Wendell

Chad
02-13-2004, 05:50 AM
I LOVE my rotifers now.. :cool: :multi: Once you get them going its awesome. The density is crazy and I think I may have to start harvesting daily. You look down and all you see is roti :biggrin: ... Definitely a great source for baby clowns..

Thanks Wendell & Jack..

zulu_principle
02-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Just thought I would post a pic of the evening before the eggs will hatch.

These are Melanopus.

http://www.oceanaquatics.com/clown_eggs_ready.jpg

Wendell

Arty Morty
02-20-2004, 08:21 PM
You best be posting a picture of them tomorrow as well!! :biggrin:
________
GANG BANG ****ING (http://www.****tube.com/categories/591/****ing/videos/1)

BCOrchidGuy
02-23-2004, 04:10 AM
Very Cool Wendell.

Doug

Arty Morty
03-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Need update, need update! :eek:
________
HANDJOB BLACK (http://www.****tube.com/categories/664/black/videos/1)