PDA

View Full Version : Shy Flame Hawkfish?

dc4
11-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I just picked up a flame hawkfish from the states and it seems pretty shy so far, only hiding at the back of the tank peering throughs the holes of my rock. All the ones I have seen in other tanks have been very interactive and perch out in the open watching things go by. I know that not all fish are the same but for those that have a flame hawkfish, how long before they got comfortable enough to come out into the open?

Leah
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Maybe it dislikes it here Canada

Zoaelite
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Haha its not even winter yet!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

dc4
11-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Hmm... maybe he/she had some type of economic hardship in the states and had to stay at the lfs due to foreclosure of his tank in the US. I would hate to think he was a depressed fish. :cry:

Leah
11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Lol! That could be true...he probably just needs a few days to feel at home. By the way jealous that you got to go down to the States and bring back fish and I did not get to go. :sad:

dc4
11-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Lol! That could be true...he probably just needs a few days to feel at home. By the way jealous that you got to go down to the States and bring back fish and I did not get to go. :sad:

Actually, it was purely by fluke that I found him, I went down to grab a few packs of copepods to fatten up my mandarins and was wanting a flame hawkfish for a while now. I looked around the tanks at Clarks and there was no hawkfish to be seen, so I thought I would just ask and woudnt you know it, there was one in one of the bottom tanks. It was $10 cheaper than the stores here so I grabbed him to add some nice personality to my tank.

Delphinus
11-08-2011, 07:04 PM
At least a week to settle in IME... don't worry he'll get used to his new surroundings.

PaulCheung
11-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Where did you buy the fish? Any problem crossing the border?

dc4
11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Where did you buy the fish? Any problem crossing the border?

I got him at Clarks Feed and Seed near Bellingham, about 5-7 minutes past Bellis Fair. The customs officer at the border didnt even mention it after I told him I bought a fish with the rest of my purchases.

apexifd
11-08-2011, 09:41 PM
took my long nose hawk fish a week or so, before it's actively eating and out in the open a bit more.

and the fish came from another reefer's tank.

dc4
11-11-2011, 05:34 AM
So it seems that a few canadian beers was all it took for the little guy to come out of his shell. He's swimming around the tank a lot more now and perching out in the open once and a while. Too bad he went over to my nem island where the female clown put him in his place. :neutral: