PDA

View Full Version : Sand/Substrate?

RGS88
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi all...

What kind (and brand/type) of sand/substrate are you using in your reef tanks? In doing research, I've been told to stay away from the fine (sugar grain) sand as it moves and gets disturbed very easily. Obviously the finer the sand, the lighter it is, and would move around or get swirled more easier. I don't know if this is a legitimate reason to avoid the fine grain sand or not? Your thoughts?

I see that a fairly popular brand is CaribSea, but in looking on their site, there is like 150 (slight exaggeration :wink:) different types of sand or substrate listed on their web site... like Ocean Direct, Arag-Alive, Dry, Aragonite, Geo-Marine, Seaflor, Coraline, etc. etc. etc., and each one of those has 5 or 10 different types, sand size and colors. So it can get very confusing.

Just looking for thoughts, opinions and ideas of what other reef builders have done for sand/substrate in your tanks.

Raf
11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
IMO, avoid Ocean Direct brand...it is very cloudy and has lots of chunks in it...

Carib Sea Fiji Pink is my favorite. :)

jostafew
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Like anything in this hobby there is no right answer. The sand you choose should be part of the bigger picture in your tank. If you're doing a lagoon type setup with softies and some LPS then do the sugar sand as it will be better able to act as DSB and will stay put just fine in the lower flow environment. Fine sands will also allow you to keep fish which sift the substrate and burry themselves in it at night (ie Canary wrasse). If you're going more SPS heavy and will have higher flow in the tank then yes, choose a coarser substrate that will not get blown around as much but be aware that you are making tradeoffs to do so.

As for brands, CaribSea is well known. I think that any substrate you choose will cloud the water so if possible add the sand first then fill the tank (not live sand of course, that should go into a pre-filled and pre-salinated tank) and give it a few days to clear up.

Leah
11-08-2011, 07:22 PM
IMO, avoid Ocean Direct brand...it is very cloudy and has lots of chunks in it...

Carib Sea Fiji Pink is my favorite. :)

+ 1

RGS88
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
So having a look on CaribSea's web site there are a couple of Fiji Pink's: "Arag-Alive Fiji Pink", and "Dry Aragonite Fiji Pink Reef Sand". Which one are you referencing?