PDA

View Full Version : WEIRD QUESTION

Harpo
11-08-2011, 02:48 AM
So I was at my LFS this weekend talking about cycling my tank and different ways of doing it. The guy I was talking to advised that you could URINATE in the water to get the cycle going....... :neutral:

SO....IS THIS TRUE?? I'm not about to whip it out and do this but was wondering if there was any truth to this..

Also, what would you do to get your cycle going ASAP other then urinating in your water?

Thanks

Ya Dude
11-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Only in Calgary is this method found

jorjef
11-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Sure it would start a cycle, then your son would do it, have his friends do it, the wife probably would if no one was looking and the seat was down..heck invite the neighbors over too......

Harpo
11-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Only in Calgary is this method found

Guy kinda sounded like he was from Sask. or maybe Surrey.... LOL! My jaw dropped a little when he mentioned this...

Harpo
11-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Found this site and it actually says you can use URINE... WTF.... I wonder who was the first to try this???

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa042403.htm

Corbin
11-08-2011, 04:22 AM
well it is ammonia the starts the cycle.

jtbadco
11-08-2011, 04:56 AM
throwing a chunk of raw shrimp in the tank and letting it rot will do the same thing...and it won't freak out the neighbors

ScubaSteve
11-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Technically yes, this would work. Freshwater guys are known to toss a capful of bleach into the tank to make it cycle really hard. You could do this in your tank but we'd have to make fun of you. You would get some serious street cred as the guy who peed in his tank though.

no_bs
11-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Freshwater guys are known to toss a capful of bleach into the tank to make it cycle really hard.

I really hope you meant "AMMONIA". As bleach kills.:biggrin:

StirCrazy
11-08-2011, 04:10 PM

I was just going to say, why would some one put chlorine into there tank? :mrgreen:

as for peeing in the tank.. kinda a grose way to do it.. besides you might burn your pecker on the lights :eek:

Steve

ScubaSteve
11-08-2011, 04:10 PM

Yup. Ammonia bleach, not chlorine bleach. Being a chemical engineer I sometimes forget that my names for things can be a bit different.

globaldesigns
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I am not sure I would want to shop at a Calgary store that recommends ****ing in your tank. I can just see it now.... Well not really.

lastlight
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm just wondering how this store suggested you seed the tank after it's cycled?

Ross
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm just wondering how this store suggested you seed the tank after it's cycled?

:rofl:

SteveConn
11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
All I can say is... WOW...

bvlester
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
bah ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say Steve I would think if you were going to pee in the tank you would move the light first. liquid and electricity do not mix you may get a bit more than a burn from your light fixture.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::l ol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bill

StirCrazy
11-09-2011, 02:16 AM
bah ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say Steve I would think if you were going to pee in the tank you would move the light first. liquid and electricity do not mix you may get a bit more than a burn from your light fixture.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::l ol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bill

listen.... if your stupid enough to pee in a fish tank.. well then...... :wink:

Steve

Harpo
11-09-2011, 02:44 AM

LMFAO!!!!! :lol:

martinmcnally
11-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Well the fish pee in there all the time and they are still alive haha :biggrin:

om6acw
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
http://rlv.zcache.ca/dont_drink_water_fish_have_sex_in_it_postcard-p239778488980404603z8iat_400.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BlueWorldAquatic
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
hmmm... the heck with stability, prodibio start up, and live sand. we'll just package urine and sell it...:razz:

I always knew Calgary had the advantage over us in the marine hobby.

Seriously, maybe that store just told you that because one of their staff was caught urinating in the tanks instead of running to the bathroom.

As far as I remember, cycling of the tank is to get all the parameters to stabalize, and start bacteria growth. Isn't urine sterile?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

StirCrazy
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
As far as I remember, cycling of the tank is to get all the parameters to stabalize, and start bacteria growth. Isn't urine sterile?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

almost. not when it leaves the body though.. if you would have read one more paragraph from the link you posted you would have seen this

"Urine is sterile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_(microbiology)) until it reaches the urethra where the epithelial cells lining the urethra are colonized by facultatively anaerobic Gram negative rods and cocci.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine#cite_note-3) Subsequent to elimination from the body, urine can acquire strong odors due to bacterial action"

Steve

reefgirl189
12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I think you'd be better off with the raw shrimp idea but hey, what do I know? I've never peed in a fishtank... yet...

Lance
12-09-2011, 12:43 AM
as for peeing in the tank.. kinda a grose way to do it.. besides you might burn your pecker on the lights :eek: Steve

In my tank I'd be more worried of my Tusk fish chowing down on my little weenie!

Lance
12-09-2011, 12:46 AM

:rofl:

Nano
12-09-2011, 12:50 AM

LOL well if pee starts the cycle what can we do to seed it... LOL I'm not even going to say it