PDA

View Full Version : Xenia and Zoa not looking so hot..

Nano
11-07-2011, 02:52 AM
hey guys they have been like this for about a week
Parameters
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Ammonia 1ppm
Alk good and high
Gh good and high
lights are t5ho one white one blue salinity is at 1.024

Nano
11-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Parameters
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Ammonia 1ppm
Alk good and high
Gh good and high
Heres the pictures, the xenia is just getting pushed around by the current thats all

daniella3d
11-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Ammonia 1ppm? that's huge. Where is that coming from? I am pretty sure it's the ammonia that is upsetting your coral. Ammonia that high is not good. There should not be any amount of ammonia.

Is that tank cycled?

Do a few large water change so that the ammonia return to zero or near zero. You can also treat with Seachem Prime to help control this ammonia until you have done enough water changes.

Parameters
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Ammonia 1ppm
Alk good and high
Gh good and high

Nano
11-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Ammonia 1ppm? that's huge. Where is that coming from? I am pretty sure it's the ammonia that is upsetting your coral. Ammonia that high is not good. There should not be any amount of ammonia.

I'm sorry I think I made a mistake lol I wasnt sure what the measurement "unit" is lol on the test chart its very light like lighter(by far) then the lightest color so not one ppm sorry my bad, but there is a very miniscule amount

daniella3d
11-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Ok that's better but it still should be zero. Maybe do a water change still.

To understand what is hapening to your coral, it is best to first get the water quality perfect and if that does not solve the problem, then maybe try a dip.

Check if there is no parasite. Because the xenia is also not looking good, this makes me think that it's the water quality that is the problem.

I'm sorry I think I made a mistake lol I wasnt sure what the measurement "unit" is lol on the test chart its very light like lighter(by far) then the lightest color so not one ppm sorry my bad, but there is a very miniscule amount

Snufflupagus
11-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Might want to try moving your Xenia to a less flowed area in your tank as well. They are a touch coral at times and I found moving mine to a low flow area helped a lot. I also have another that loves the flow. Just a thought.

Nano
11-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Ok that's better but it still should be zero. Maybe do a water change still.

To understand what is hapening to your coral, it is best to first get the water quality perfect and if that does not solve the problem, then maybe try a dip.

Check if there is no parasite. Because the xenia is also not looking good, this makes me think that it's the water quality that is the problem.
K thanks will try this, I thought maybe part of the problem might be cause they used to be under compact fourescents, and this it when it started, so I switched to t5s

reefwars
11-07-2011, 03:45 AM
K thanks will try this, I thought maybe part of the problem might be cause they used to be under compact fourescents, and this it when it started, so I switched to t5s

thats very possible, corals need tme to adjust to new lighting:):) do it slowly:)

mike31154
11-07-2011, 04:53 AM
I noticed in another thread that you mention using treated tap water. How long has your tank been running & how long have the corals been in there? Even though whatever you use to treat the tap water will bind the chlorine, there could be traces of other elements building up in your system that are making the coral go funky. See if your water provider (city?) posts water tests online and check it out. Should be a good list of what's in your tap water & at what percentage. Even a trace of copper or some other metal not harmful to us, will eventually build up in your system & can affect invertebrates & corals in particular.

My advice is to start using pure water regardless.

Nano
11-07-2011, 04:57 AM
I noticed in another thread that you mention using treated tap water. How long has your tank been running & how long have the corals been in there? Even though whatever you use to treat the tap water will bind the chlorine, there could be traces of other elements building up in your system that are making the coral go funky. See if your water provider (city?) posts water tests online and check it out. Should be a good list of what's in your tap water & at what percentage. Even a trace of copper or some other metal not harmful to us, will eventually build up in your system & can affect invertebrates & corals in particular.

Yeah I have checked nothing really online. I have tested it though and everything is 0 aside from ph of course:mrgreen::lol: but the tank it was in had some higher nitrates around 20 ppm still not deathly high but getting there the new tank its in is at 0 so its not getting any worse now, but i just put it in yesterday, so it hasnt gotten any better yet either lol

reefwars
11-07-2011, 05:02 AM
try moving it to the bottom of your tank in ambient lighting and see if that helps:):) i believe you have some light shock happening plus the move to a new tank:)

mike31154
11-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Hmm, too bad you can't find a water report. Here's one from Greater Vernon. As you'll see there are some things in there that we actually need in our tanks such as calcium & magnesium. But there are also traces of undesirables that are just too risky IMO to keep feeding into my tank year after year. Come to think of it, I don't really even want to drink some of that stuff myself, even though according to the authorities it's at safe levels. I've been using RODI water for my tank for well over three years now & tapping off RO water for coffee, tea, drinking water as well. Great investment.

Testing for the standard parameters like nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, pH, calc, alk etc. is all well & good, but we don't generally test for copper, arsenic, aluminum...... so saying everything is zero is fine, but what about all the goodies (nasties?) you can't test for?

North Kalamalka Lake Intake Water Quality 2008
Water System: Greater Vernon Water
Source: Kalamalka Lake
Facility: Kal Lake Pumpstation
Sampling Point: Kal Lake Intake
Date: 7/14/2008
INORGANIC Results (mg/L unless noted)
Aluminum <0.050
Antimony <0.0030
Arsenic <0.0050
Barium 0.027
Boron 0.021
Cadmium <0.00010
Calcium 40.6
Chloride 5.38
Chromium <0.015
Copper <0.0030
Cyanide < 0.01
Fluoride 0.24
Iron <0.20
Lead <0.001
Magnesium 19.8
Manganese <0.0050
Mercury <0.00030
Molybdenum 0.005
Nitrate (as N) 0.069
Nitrite (as N) <0.010
Potassium 5.07
Selenium <0.0050
Sodium 18.4
Sulphate 51
Uranium 0.003
Zinc 0.011
PHYSICAL Results (mg/L unless noted)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 152
Colour <5 TCU
Conductivity 409 microS/cm
Hardness (as CaCO3) 183
pH 7.8
Total dissolved solids 238
Turbidity 1.0 NTU
UV Transmittance @254(%) 91%

Nano
11-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Hmm, too bad you can't find a water report. Here's one from Greater Vernon. As you'll see there are some things in there that we actually need in our tanks such as calcium & magnesium. But there are also traces of undesirables that are just too risky IMO to keep feeding into my tank year after year. Come to think of it, I don't really even want to drink some of that stuff myself, even though according to the authorities it's at safe levels. I've been using RODI water for my tank for well over three years now & tapping off RO water for coffee, tea, drinking water as well. Great investment.

Testing for the standard parameters like nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, pH, calc, alk etc. is all well & good, but we don't generally test for copper, arsenic, aluminum...... so saying everything is zero is fine, but what about all the goodies (nasties?) you can't test for?

North Kalamalka Lake Intake Water Quality 2008
Water System: Greater Vernon Water
Source: Kalamalka Lake
Facility: Kal Lake Pumpstation
Sampling Point: Kal Lake Intake
Date: 7/14/2008
INORGANIC Results (mg/L unless noted)
Aluminum <0.050
Antimony <0.0030
Arsenic <0.0050
Barium 0.027
Boron 0.021
Cadmium <0.00010
Calcium 40.6
Chloride 5.38
Chromium <0.015
Copper <0.0030
Cyanide < 0.01
Fluoride 0.24
Iron <0.20
Lead <0.001
Magnesium 19.8
Manganese <0.0050
Mercury <0.00030
Molybdenum 0.005
Nitrate (as N) 0.069
Nitrite (as N) <0.010
Potassium 5.07
Selenium <0.0050
Sodium 18.4
Sulphate 51
Uranium 0.003
Zinc 0.011
PHYSICAL Results (mg/L unless noted)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 152
Colour <5 TCU
Conductivity 409 microS/cm
Hardness (as CaCO3) 183
pH 7.8
Total dissolved solids 238
Turbidity 1.0 NTU
UV Transmittance @254(%) 91%

lol holy ****. I see what you mean by not wanting to drink it, sure its at low levels but still, arsenic, mercury? MAN!

daniella3d
11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
So if I got this right it was in another tank with PC light and unknown water parameters, then they were moved to another tank after they started to close and they have not open yet under the T5 and new water condition.

That's a lot of things to adjust to for a healthy coral, even more so for a sick coral...they will need time and a slow acclimatation to the new light.

They might come back, they might melt..hard to tell. It will probably take some time to come back if it does.

Yeah I have checked nothing really online. I have tested it though and everything is 0 aside from ph of course:mrgreen::lol: but the tank it was in had some higher nitrates around 20 ppm still not deathly high but getting there the new tank its in is at 0 so its not getting any worse now, but i just put it in yesterday, so it hasnt gotten any better yet either lol