PDA

View Full Version : Dying Anenome?

Chad
02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
I bought what seemed a healthy corn anenome about 2 -3 weeks ago. Unfortunately he moved to where I could not target feed. But this morning he came out to the open. By the time I got home he was back hidding. A hour or so later it was hanging from the rock (still could not reach it). Tonight it was on the sandbed upside down. I managed to blow it out into the open. I took a look at it, there is a hole going straight through it :exclaim: :question: .. obviously not healthy. Any hope this guy can come back? He is moving ever so slightly but that is it. I put him in a more accessible location.

Chad
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
what?? 61 views and no one has anything to say? :razz: I need some sort of help.. should I be chucking this guy out? I hear they are toxic when they die.

02-11-2004, 05:07 PM
It will probably die. Try to take it out and smell it, if it has a rotten smell it means it's dead, chuck it immediately! In any case, it should be in a hospital tank by now.

Chad
02-11-2004, 05:15 PM
well, I've had conflicting responses. One person on RC mentioned it may be spliting. However my QT tank has only an NO light. If the anenome is truely ill.. It will die for sure under that light... It has no mouth to speak of at the moment.. light is probably all that is keeping it alive..

02-11-2004, 05:34 PM
are the tenacles swollen or flat? how often does it open up? where is it located now?

Chad
02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
are the tenacles swollen or flat? how often does it open up? where is it located now?

well they are not flat.. but they are retracted.. It is located on the bottom of my tank.. on a small rock..

02-11-2004, 06:42 PM
yeah I would watch it carefully. taget feed some microvert or someting around its tenacles if it's not eating, otherwise, only time can tell.

MitchM
02-11-2004, 06:44 PM
If it was unattached to anything and laying upside down on the sand, I wouldn't hold out much hope for it.
You'll know in the next day or two at the most if it's dying or splitting.
There's nothing really you can do for it either.
Just don't lose sight of it - you don't want it rotting behind a rock.

Mitch

Chad
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the input.. I am at work ATM.. so I cannot do too much.. Apparently it is opening a bit more and extending the tenticals slightly.. we will see...

BCOrchidGuy
02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Keep us updated Chad.

Doug

Tigger
02-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Usually if the anenome is lying upside down on the sand it is not a good sign. They don't do this when they split. There is not much you can do. I wouldn't move it to another tank because it doesn't need anymore stress. I would just watch it carefully. As it starts to die, you will find that the crabs and stuff will start to pick at it. When it looks like it is dead I would use a phyton to suck it out of the tank so that pieces don't go floating around the tank.

I wish you the best of luck.