PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't wait any longer !

Acipenser
11-06-2011, 03:16 PM
O.k. I admit I am impatient, I couldn't wait any longer staring into a tank full of live rock with no other inhabitants. my plan was to add a few damsels just so I would have something to look at . But the guy at the LfS told me that damsels can be pretty nasty and territorial and that I may run into problems adding other fish later on. Since I planned to add a clown later on any way, I decided to get one now instead of the damsels :redface: .

Now that was 3 days ago and this guy is a twoonie sized little ball of entertainment, eventually I want to have about 3 fish in total, Not sure what but I was thinking along the lines of one more clown and perhaps an eel or something like that.

I am thinking I should add some crabs or snails asap to take care of any uneaten food all though I have been feeding very lightly at the moment.

I am looking into building a sump as I have some room in the stand for one It would be nice to increase my water volume, to add a skimmer and to hide my heater in there.

Thoughts ?

chevyjaxon
11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Holy smokes how long has this tank been up? is the LR cured? has it even cycled yet? and how many gallons are you talking about? Marine is a game of extreme patience. your LR needs to "cure" which means all the die off from the micro organisms on it is cycled and bio degraded meaning that all the ammonia has been removed from your tank through waterchanges. those same micro organisms whatever is left will recover regrow and repopulate. the magic here is as your tank ages the LR will better deal with the waste your fish produce, and the micro organisms will eat that waste. Give your tank time to grow a bit keep an eye on parameters. If you do get an ammonia spike that poor fish will recieve burnt gills and will possibly die. Please just take your time, youll have more fun and more success. I dont mean to flame you here but you asked for any thoughts. good luck

Acipenser
11-06-2011, 03:51 PM
The L.R. was cured for a couple of years in another members tank, it went from his sump into a cooler full of salt water and into my tank it was out of water less than 5 minutes.

The tank has been running for 3 weeks with LR in it. Water parameters close to perfect but alas - not. hence my impatience.

Its a 26G bow front with over 30 lbs of fully cured LR.

TheMikey
11-06-2011, 04:07 PM
If it was mature, cycled live rock you should probably be okay. Especially if your params have checked out. The LFS where I got my rocks keeps them all in a SW bin with heat and flow and, as a result, I never had a strict "cycle" in the two months before I added a CUC.

reefwars
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
too small for eels and he will eat yor clowns when he gets big, think about either doing a small fsh only or if you want to get predators then a tanl over 100g is a must have minimum;)

i would also give the advice of letting your tank stabilize now for a bit and get some clean up crews in there, think about how your ging to deal with nutrients using rectors,dosing, etc.

cheers:)

pics?:):)