PDA

View Full Version : mangrove how to

reefme
11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
is anyone have any idea how to grow mangrove? I am interest in setting up one for myself.

Thank you.

ScubaSteve
11-05-2011, 11:01 PM
is anyone have any idea how to grow mangrove? I am interest in setting up one for myself.

Thank you.

Pretty much the mangrove bible right here (http://info.frim.gov.my/cfdocs/tsonami2/Magnificent%20Mangroves%20in%20Aquarium.pdf) by the great Julian Sprung. Pretty straight forward: mist them regularly and watch your magnesium levels.

Lampshade
11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Nice, thanks for the link, i'm looking at setting up a mangrove tank as well, this is great.

tinman
11-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Tagging along anyone know where to get mangroves at a reasonable price

reefme
11-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Pretty much the mangrove bible right here (http://info.frim.gov.my/cfdocs/tsonami2/Magnificent%20Mangroves%20in%20Aquarium.pdf) by the great Julian Sprung. Pretty straight forward: mist them regularly and watch your magnesium levels.

How often do you check for magnesium? Is there any other mangrove that does not consume magnesium?

reefwars
11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Tagging along anyone know where to get mangroves at a reasonable price

i bought mine at BA's for cheap hehehe;) theyve been doing great i mist them daily and have them planted in my mud fuge:) so far so good:)

MarkoD
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
I bought mine from blue world. I have them stuck through egg crate and the roots are in the top 4 inches of water in my sump. Growing like crazy. Have a 4300k bulb on them

ScubaSteve
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
How often do you check for magnesium? Is there any other mangrove that does not consume magnesium?

To be honest I haven't check my magnesium. I'm I'm fairly new to mangroves myself. No, there isn't a mangrove that doesn't "consume" mag. They use mag to displace sodium from their bodies. If the mag gets low they loose this ability and succumb to sodium poisoning. The apparent consumption is them taking mag is for this reason and it is lost inthe sacrifial leaves.

reefme
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
To be honest I haven't check my magnesium. I'm I'm fairly new to mangroves myself. No, there isn't a mangrove that doesn't "consume" mag. They use mag to displace sodium from their bodies. If the mag gets low they loose this ability and succumb to sodium poisoning. The apparent consumption is them taking mag is for this reason and it is lost inthe sacrifial leaves.

How big is your tank and how many mangroves do you have?

MMAX
11-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I bought mine from blue world. I have them stuck through egg crate and the roots are in the top 4 inches of water in my sump. Growing like crazy. Have a 4300k bulb on them

Have any pics of them?

ScubaSteve
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
How big is your tank and how many mangroves do you have?

I have a 50G cube with a 15G sump. I have two mangroves (which is the theoretical "number of mangroves per gallon") and I keep them in my external overflow box (it's deep). If I can find some way to swing it, I'd like to do a remote fug... But I'm pretty limited for space. The whole 1 mangrove per 25 gallons is, in my opinion, a rule of thumb without much substance in reality. So take it with a grain of salt.

I don't keep mangroves for nutrient removal... I'd use chaeto for that. I keep them because I am endlessly fascinated by plants, especially the water filtering ability of mangroves (I develop water desalination technology).

reefwars
11-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a 50G cube with a 15G sump. I have two mangroves (which is the theoretical "number of mangroves per gallon") and I keep them in my external overflow box (it's deep). If I can find some way to swing it, I'd like to do a remote fug... But I'm pretty limited for space. The whole 1 mangrove per 25 gallons is, in my opinion, a rule of thumb without much substance in reality. So take it with a grain of salt.

I don't keep mangroves for nutrient removal... I'd use charro for that. I keepthem because I am endlessly fascinated by plants, especially the water filtering ability of mangroves (I develop water desalination technology).

same here i dont need them for nutrient export i just like them and think they are beautiful and i like to try new things:)