PDA

View Full Version : Powder blue tang vs Regal tang

Oilers
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Which one would you choose? Reasons? I am leaning toward the powder blue since I had a regal tang before so I want to try something else.

monocus
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
powder blue can be a bully to any fish added after

Aquattro
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
My regal bullied my PB to death. PB's are really difficult to get established, I won't try again.

Bblinks
11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
My regal bullied my PB to death. PB's are really difficult to get established, I won't try again.

Brad, you can have my pb when I transfer tanks, he rivals my achilles and the achilles is almost 3 times the size. Short of harpooning it I have had it with that mother. I am sure he is bullet proof.

I wouldn't go with either, yellow, purple, achilles, those are my choices.

Aquattro
11-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Brad, you can have my pb when I transfer tanks, he rivals my achilles and the achilles is almost 3 times the size. Short of harpooning it I have had it with that mother. I am sure he is bullet proof.

I wouldn't go with either, yellow, purple, achilles, those are my choices.

:), I'll come get him. Mine fought back hard, being half the size, but finally succumbed to the harassment. I might also borrow your harpoon to get my Regal out -lol

Oilers
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I am planning to add a purple and a Desjardin sailfin tang along with one of those two. Do you see any problem(s) with that? I already have a yellow and a naso in the tank.

Aquattro
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Ya, I can see the purple being pushy. Depends on the individuals though. My Regal is an ass. My Naso is the perfect fish. I have a pair of yellows that are fine as well. But the Powder Blue got harassed all day long.

Oilers
11-04-2011, 06:15 PM
My Regal was quite friendly. I think he was the one that got bullied by the coral beauty which was about half of his size. And yes, I would harpoon that SOB any second. Tried to catch it to get rid of it but was never successful.

Parker
11-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I have one yellow that's a model citizen and another that's the @ss of my tank. My Sailfin is very docile.

I'm never had much luck the PB,T I've tried twice and I'm not sure I'll try agian, although I haven't tried one in the big tank.

Bblinks
11-04-2011, 07:17 PM
:), I'll come get him. Mine fought back hard, being half the size, but finally succumbed to the harassment. I might also borrow your harpoon to get my Regal out -lol

I'll let you know when I am ready.:wink:

BC564
11-04-2011, 07:37 PM
My purple, regal and sailfin are awesome.......but the yellow is an ass......

The Grizz
11-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I have not had any trouble with my 2 Regal's bothering my PB or for that matter any of my tangs.

ATM I have:

2 Regals
2 Sailfins
1 Powder Blue
1 Scopas
1 Yellow
1 Lieutenant
1 Tommi

That all I can think of ATM but there might be one more. They all get along very well and swim the length of my tank by request, all I have to do is walk past it.

Powder Blues can be very hard to keep when purchased from a LFS SOMETIMES. I got mine from another reefer who was shutting down his tank. I did try 1 and only 1 from a LFS and when it died I said not again and waited for someone to be selling one that had been in a tank for at least a year.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

globaldesigns
11-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Actually, if you are ok with an aggressiv fish, look at a Sohal. I think they are one of the most beautiful.

I have one, and it is the showpiece of my tank. Blue, White, Orange, with glowing translucent blue highlights and cool eyes.

They can be aggressive, in my case, mine is very friendly... But in general a bully. Reason I say take a look at these is because not many people have them, so you can be unique like me! I am special, so very very special.... HEHE :biggrin:

The Grizz
11-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I am special, so very very special.... HEHE :biggrin:

In a special short bus kind of way. :razz:

fishytime
11-04-2011, 11:36 PM
LOL Greg......

I love my PB.......one of my fav fish in the tank for sure......I agree with others tho....get one from someones tank if you decide to go for it....

I also was really fond of the regal I had before......he was a bit of a turd....... he ate acans and was constantly picking frags up off of my frag rack and dropping them wherever he felt like......still loved him tho.....

both my present PB and former regal were/are jerks.....but only to certain fish.....some fish were ok to add and some fish , not so much.....one thing for sure is......every fish is its own individual.......we can generalize all we want but, there is always an exception to the rule....

Proteus
11-05-2011, 03:42 AM
+1 for the sohal. Miss mine too pieces.

jjntm
11-05-2011, 04:10 AM
AGREE ON THE SOHAL!! currently that is my favorite fish in my tank... had no issues yet with aggression... and I currently house a large hawaiin naso, bariene, sailfin, yellow, a small tomini and one I am still trying to identify... tail of a bariene, pattern similar to a cole yet closer to the color of an atlantic blue.... but the most active one is the sohal by far... cool personality too.... still plan to get an achilles and a purple... and leave the pb for the fowler... seems they are the biggest jackasses of the tangs...imo...

naesco
11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
http://wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm

Choose the regal because your chances of success in keeping the powder blue tang is poor.
I agree with the advice to get one from someone who has already had it for a while if you are set on getting one.

Powder blue tangs typically live for a while than get sick for no apparent reason and die often taking a few of its tank mates with them.