PDA

View Full Version : Red Bugs stop the insanity

spawn
11-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I have to do the interceptor due to having red bugs on a couple of acro's. I'm gonna do the whole tank. What I'm wondering is there anyone in calgary with a scale to measure this stuff. I plan on going to my vet tomorrow & hopefully treating on the W.E. Thx

lastlight
11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I just wing it and snap off close to the right amount but always using a touch more than recommended. It's worked great 3 times now. Unfortunately I'm really good at not inspecting new corals too lol.

spawn
11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Did it kill lots of pods in yer tank, or any other unwanted stuff? I'm not really worried, but there is no way to catch the 2 shrimps. So hopefully they're tuff. There are still some hitchhiker crabs in there maybe i'll get lucky & it'll kill those hairy bastards.

Myka
11-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Do you have a little blue scoop from Salifert test kit? Use one level Salifert scoop for each 40 gallons. I had to do that twice last year (two infections...grrrr). The only thing I ever lost in these treatments were Emerald Crabs.

spawn
11-03-2011, 11:31 PM
I dont think so, I had a salifert kit once but I think I threw it out. How close is the size of an elos spoon to the size of a salifert?

Myka
11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Not close at all. Maybe your LFS has a spare one kicking around...

lastlight
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
My cleaner is the only one I've ever seen that won't come to my hand. I never could catch him so he's lived through all 3 treatments. I haven't seen one of my porcelains lately but I know that at least one has lived through two treatments. I only had a few hermits but none made it past the second treatment.

xtreme
11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Try a bottle trap for your shrimp. I managed to catch a couple cleaners and a fire shrimp in mine with some food as bait.

I have a couple salifert spoons kicking around if you are in my area and want to stop by to grab one.

spawn
11-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Thx Sean will do, are you around tomorrow? It would have to be a fairly small bottle & I don't want to break any corals trying to catch them. From what I've read it's very seldom people are losing shrimp. I just talked to my vets office & he's away for a week... the secretary talked to me like she thought I was retarded when I asked her if she had heard of it, & that's a whole nother issue, I just need to get some interceptor. So this raises another question:
Can anyone recommend a vet in CT who is aware of what we are using interceptor for?

xtreme
11-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Oh ya, forgot how packed your tank is with all those nice SPS. Would be tough to get a bottle trap in there.

Only around from about 5:30 to 7 tomorrow night if that works for you. Otherwise maybe Saturday if tomorrow does't work for you?

spawn
11-04-2011, 02:50 AM
I give you a shout on sat. thx.

spawn
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Everyone should just treat their tanks for these little bastards. It's easy & will help stop the spread. I think Most people have them & just don't know. Did it last night, only lost 2 hermits. My cleaner attacked & ate one while I watched. There are no signs of redbugs today.

lastlight
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Good to hear and I agree with you. I think they can go un-noticed for a long time and I suspect a ton of people have them.