PDA

View Full Version : Adult brine shrimp

ltay
02-10-2004, 08:36 AM
hi all

I was thinking of culturing from the naupauli stage into adult brine shrimp.
Are adults brine nutritious ? If not, how do I maintain their nutritious value ?

TNTCanada
02-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Try feeding them some "Selcon" Just put it in the water that your breeding them in after they hatch.

I have never had a lot of luck getting brine shrimp to adult hood with the eggs from the LFS. It was easy when I was a kid when I bought Sea monkys.

Anyone have any Ideas why?

Quinn
02-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I believe it's the yolk sacks of the young that are nutritious. Therefore I am not certain whether the adults have any value.

BCOrchidGuy
02-10-2004, 04:26 PM
TNT sorry but I don't agree with you, Don't put selcon or Zoe or anything else in the water after the brine shrimp have hatched. Siphon them off into clean mixed water that is prepared the same as the hatching water and add the selcon to that. The old water should be discarded as it's a mess of ammonia etc. Raising brine shrimp to adult stage takes a fair amount of time and effort to do it in a reasonable quantity. They are filter feeders so just make sure your food is small enough to get through their mouths (which they don't develop until about 8 hours after they hatch).
I used to enrich my brineshrimp and had a fairly easy method to do it. Set up a hatching station, hatch the brineshrimp for 18-24 hours, siphon them off, rinse half of them and feed them to the tank(s). Take the other half and put them in clean fresh saltwater and add a few drops of selcon and some DTs. Set up a new batch of eggs for hatching out. 8-12 hours after the first batch went into the second container I'd siphon them off and feed half of them to the tank (rinsed of course) and take the other half and put them in fresh solution, add selcon, DTs and Zoe, and aerate them again for 8-12 hours.
Once you get to the point where you're hatching them and moving them it works out easy. If you have fish in QT and are treating it for anything you can add the medication to a seperate brine shrimp hatchery and put the medicine inside the brine shrimp. It's a good way to get your fish to take in meds.

Doug