PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions.

Corbin
11-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Just somethings that cross my mind when looking at my tank.

Feather dusters, do the tiny little ones get as big as the ones you see at your LFS or in other peoples pictures. i have one that i have noticed gotten bigger and more colorful, but will it reach beyond a quater of a inch?

Hermit crab shells, is there a place i can get empty shells for cheap localy?

Could you use a grow light for a refuge that is 10k not 6500k. ive used both, currently its 10k still growing, is it just more benifical to have a 6500k bulb?

Thanks

hillegom
11-03-2011, 02:31 AM

Last time I bought something at J&L They gave me a free shell for my hermit.

Casey8
11-03-2011, 02:39 AM
If you want to travel to Richmond, I have a few big shells for you.

Lampshade
11-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Not sure about the feather dusters, my Bariene Tang's got a weird appetite and has cleared mine out.

The shells I got at a craft shop(I think linens and thigns?), they had a Large bag for $4, about 3/4 where useful in the fishtank.

10K should work fine in a refugium, I was using old halide's for a while that where 10K and they worked fine. I use CFL's now, cheaper, they're daylight bulbs that shoudl be somewhere around 6500K.

Corbin
11-03-2011, 02:42 AM
define big lol. they are mexican red hermits btw

Casey8
11-03-2011, 03:11 AM
I used to have about an inch blue leg hermit crabs size, I don't know how big yours are. Like I said, I have a few if you want you can have them.

Corbin
11-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Yeah they are about that size, PM me your info and ill probably come by in the next day or so :)

monocus
11-03-2011, 03:33 AM
there's a rock shop on hastings around willingdon on the left side if your facing north.all types of fancy shells

MKLKT
11-03-2011, 04:38 AM
If you're talking about the white colonizing feather dusters then no they don't get to be very big, they just multiply like crazy. The coloured ones can get bigger but the sizes aren't going to be dramatic. Coco worms are about the fanciest ones and can sport pretty massive plumes.

Kelvin rating on refuge macro is fine whether 6500 or 10k, the amount of flow/placement and nutrients has just as much of an effect.

I have a small baggie of random shells from past snails/hermits in my tank; when I frag some of my stuff I'll let you know and you can have the shells, too.

daniella3d
11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Before I had my copperband I had different size of hitchiker feather duster and one quite pretty that was about a quarter size all white with black dots, and a brown one that was 2" in size. Now the copperband ate them all in a few days.

For the shells, some LFS sell them or you can probably find them online. I found a few at Big Al and also at 1$ Dollorama stores.

For refugium, a 10k lamp will work but a 6500k lamp will probably make things grow faster.

Just somethings that cross my mind when looking at my tank.

Feather dusters, do the tiny little ones get as big as the ones you see at your LFS or in other peoples pictures. i have one that i have noticed gotten bigger and more colorful, but will it reach beyond a quater of a inch?

Could you use a grow light for a refuge that is 10k not 6500k. ive used both, currently its 10k still growing, is it just more benifical to have a 6500k bulb?

Thanks