PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Intensity Concerns

LifeAquatic
11-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading my lighting and I purchased a 2X 250 watt metal halide (15k bulbs) + 4X 54 watt T5 HO (3 actinic and 1 Fiji Purple) light fixture for my 70 gallon reef tank (depth to sand bed is 21"). I intend to keep mainly light-loving SPS corals, however, I have a few (but charished) LPS corals and softies (mainly my 25+ head frogspawn and brain corals). I have read a few articles which warn against the use of excessive lighting which eventually leads to the demise of more light-sensitive corals (and possibly even light-loving corals) due to photo-inhibition stress. Can anyone tell me whether the use of ~716 watts of lighting (10.2 watt/gallon) will adversely affect these corals (and any fish inhabitants - via blinding them)?

Thanks a million!

Casey8
11-02-2011, 02:20 AM
I am using 2x400W MH on my 75 gallon tank. I don't think there is any problem with a little bit of overkill with lights though.

Aquattro
11-02-2011, 03:36 AM
You'll be fine. If you're upgrading intensity a lot, you'll want to ramp up slowly to avoid sudden burning of the corals. Either raise the lights and lower slowly over a week or so, or use a timer to stagger the lights on and off during the day, slowly building to your desired photo period. Look up light acclimation in the search feature, lots of threads with greater detail.

LifeAquatic
11-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks for your replies. :biggrin:
I am a bit at ease now, however, I am taking your advise on light acclimation of the tank inhabitants by slowly ramping up the lighting intensity.