PDA

View Full Version : New setup FOWLR - Detritus

Harpo
11-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Hi Guys & Gals,

I just set up a new tank...should I start sucking Detritus up right away or leave it there for a bit?

Also, When should I start checking the parimeters of the tank? My salinity right now is 1.020... How fast can I bump it up? Take my time or get it up right away. Tank has not cycled yet.

Thanks,

mark
11-01-2011, 10:34 AM
is there any livestock in the tank or detritus just off the rock?

Beverly
11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Siphon detritus as often as possible, even on cycling tanks. I do it every weekly water change. To export even more detritus, use a turkey baster (one that's used only for your tank) and blow detritus off the rock onto the bottom of the tank, then siphon it our. I'm assuming your tank has no sandbed, though. I don't know how you'd siphon detritus from your sandbed without removing sand.

pscott99
11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Get your salt up to 1.025 and keep it there. Don't bother testing for a couple weeks. Keep a good log. Read the sticky's on cycling. Good luck have fun !! Don't put fish in until your ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0000.

Harpo
11-03-2011, 01:09 AM
is there any livestock in the tank or detritus just off the rock?

Siphon detritus as often as possible, even on cycling tanks. I do it every weekly water change. To export even more detritus, use a turkey baster (one that's used only for your tank) and blow detritus off the rock onto the bottom of the tank, then siphon it our. I'm assuming your tank has no sandbed, though. I don't know how you'd siphon detritus from your sandbed without removing sand.

This tank only has live rock and a sandbed. I have been removing the detritus as soon as I see it. I loose some sand but if its better to get rid of the detritus FAST i dont mind about the little bit of sand I lose.

Thanks for the imput!

Harpo
11-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Get your salt up to 1.025 and keep it there. Don't bother testing for a couple weeks. Keep a good log. Read the sticky's on cycling. Good luck have fun !! Don't put fish in until your ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0000.

Do I bump the Salinity up fast or slowly? All my levels are at ZERO right now but it may change as soon as it cycles.

Beverly
11-03-2011, 02:15 AM
If you only have rock and a sandbed, I don't think it matters very much if you adjust the salinity quickly instead of over a period of days. JMHO,, though :)

pscott99
11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
If you only have rock and a sandbed, I don't think it matters very much if you adjust the salinity quickly instead of over a period of days. JMHO,, though :)

Yes no worries. You are taking your time this is good. It becomes very expensive if you don't.

Harpo
11-24-2011, 01:56 AM
So my snails are living and I have added 2 emerald crabs and a sand golby.... it has been 4 days and they are dead....all my levels are perfect and salinity is 1.025 and temp is around 28 degrees....WHY did they dye? This is my second attempt at the crabs .... I don't think my tank has cycled yet... I set the tank up on Oct 29th and it was a partially established tank...

ANY SUGGESTIONS/INSIGHT PLEASE........

Nano
11-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Do I bump the Salinity up fast or slowly? All my levels are at ZERO right now but it may change as soon as it cycles.

I would take it over a few days fish or not, personally. salinity is a weird thing you could bring a fish down to hypo salinity in 24 hours, but to bring it back up to a normal salinity you would have to go over a few days/weeks! in your case I'd say raise it a bit each day never a full point in 24 hours though

Nano
11-24-2011, 02:07 AM
So my snails are living and I have added 2 emerald crabs and a sand golby.... it has been 4 days and they are dead....all my levels are perfect and salinity is 1.025 and temp is around 28 degrees....WHY did they dye? This is my second attempt at the crabs .... I don't think my tank has cycled yet... I set the tank up on Oct 29th and it was a partially established tank...

no its not cycled you need to wait at least a month. Have you had a diatom bloom yet? whats your ammonia and nitrates? temperature? etc.
hopefully someone a little more experienced then myself can jump in here as well..

reefwars
11-24-2011, 02:11 AM

are you acclimating them before putting them into your tank??.....your tank is very young still too;)

reefwars
11-24-2011, 02:15 AM
personaly wouldnt add fish until my cuc is doing well there needs to be a grace period before adding different stuff so not to upset the balance when a tank is brand new.wait out the cycle with an amonia source....add clean up crew.....add first fish......add hardy coral.....all of these should have a little bit of a time between maybe a week or so, no need to rush something you will have for years if you play your cards right:):)

Nano
11-24-2011, 02:20 AM
personaly wouldnt add fish until my cuc is doing well there needs to be a grace period before adding different stuff so not to upset the balance when a tank is brand new.wait out the cycle with an amonia source....add clean up crew.....add first fish......add hardy coral.....all of these should have a little bit of a time between maybe a week or so, no need to rush something you will have for years if you play your cards right:):)

+1 patience is key! I waited a month and a half before even adding my clean up crew lol. a little over kill but I wanted to make sure my parameters were constant, I even still had some problems, I havent lost anything yet though, but I have had my scares. I would definitely let your tank cycle 4-6 weeks, add your clean up crew 4-5 weeks IF YOUR PARAMETERS ARE STABLE then wait a week or even 2 to be safe! start with some hardy fish one at a time, if you just dump a bunch of livestock in the filtration doesnt have time to adjust, and your bioload will go nuts and you could kill more livestock. Patience young skywalker ;) patience is a huge virtue in this hobby.

Harpo
11-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Thank you all! Patience is the key thats for sure.. Was trying to find a reason for the failure of the livestock dying....so I didn't have to point the finger at myself for be impatient...

Thanks once again! :biggrin:

Nano
11-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Thank you all! Patience is the key thats for sure.. Was trying to find a reason for the failure of the livestock dying....so I didn't have to point the finger at myself for be impatient...

Thanks once again! :biggrin:

Just for reference what are your parameters?
Salinity you said is 1.025 thats good
ph?
ammonia?
Nitrates?
Nitrites?
Calcium?
Alkalinity?
Phosphates?
lots I know but this is all really important

Harpo
11-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Just for reference what are your parameters?
Salinity you said is 1.025 thats good
ph?
ammonia?
Nitrates?
Nitrites?
Calcium?
Alkalinity?
Phosphates?
lots I know but this is all really important

I will have to keep you posted as I am going to be checking my parameters tomorrow and I will let you know.

Nano
11-24-2011, 03:25 AM
I will have to keep you posted as I am going to be checking my parameters tomorrow and I will let you know.

k let us know, with out all the numbers it can be hard to pinpoint the problem sometimes, also whats your method that you are using to introduce livestock into your tank?

pscott99
11-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Post all your tests and tank specs so we can help more. How did you acclimate the new purchases.

Harpo
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Sorry Everyone... Work got crazy and of course family in town and all that Christmas fun stuff....

It turned out.....My temp in the tank was sitting at a comfy +35 ..... ouch!

All my levels were perfect...except the temp.... I didnt take into consideration of the heat the Bulb was giving off. :redface:

Question though....I have some type of clam running around my tank...looks like a muscle...is this ok?? it doesn't seem to be bothering anything in my tank....so I hope its ok!

Madreefer
12-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Not trying to be a jerk or discourage you but you might want to do a little more research on your livestock purchases. If anything, a good start is to ask on here and you'll also figure out who to take your advice from, theres alot of newbies that are giving bad advice. Which the bad advice is usually from inexperience and listening to unknowledgeable staff at large chain stores. Stay away from the places that sell puppies and kitties etc. IMO a sand sifting goby should'nt be added to a tank that is not at least a year or two old. It takes a long time for a tank to be established and theres just not enough in the substrate for a sifter to survive and they starve to death. That includes starfish.

lastlight
12-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Of course you shouldn't add even a cleanup crew until your cycle is done. I don't see an issue adding a sand-sifter shortly so long as it's confirmed to also be eating say a pellet or something too. Like any other fish it needs something to eat but if it's like my diamond watchman for example it will eat NLS pellets ALL DAY =)

jtbadco
12-09-2011, 02:36 AM
How did you cycle the tank?

What did you use for an ammonia source?

Funky_Fish14
12-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Realistically if your levels are 'stable' even after 2 weeks, those critters should have lived. Your temp being at 35 more than likely what killed them. Sorry to hear.

When no critters in the tank (just rock and sand), bringing the salinity up quickly should not be an issue.

Also, im with Beverly on the detritus... mid-cycle or not, detritus will break down, will settle into the substrate(mainly) and rock pores, hard to reach areas, etc.. The cleaner you keep it, the less nutrient build-up. Less nutrient build-up = less problems = happy reefer.

Cheers,

Chris

Madreefer
12-09-2011, 02:48 AM
How did you cycle the tank?

What did you use for an ammonia source?

I sure hope you did'nt pee in your tank like that other thread you have.:lol: