PDA

View Full Version : ID THIS

BMahura
11-01-2011, 01:17 AM
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/Bmahura/3-2.jpg
I bought it and was told it was neon green with brown polyps. Grows somewhat like a monti cap but the edges are alot more round then monti caps

ScubaSteve
11-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Tough to say from the pics but from your description it could be montipora confusa.

Myka
11-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Tough to say from the pics but from your description it could be montipora confusa.

Kinda what I was thinking...or maybe encrusting Porites?

ScubaSteve
11-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I was thinking that as well but the way it is forming the ridges in the middle there it pushed me toward m. confusa. Does porites form ridges like that?

shootingstar
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Looks the same as one I have that was supplied as a m.confusa.

But then again I have another that was supplied as m.confusa that is much darker almost purple-ish base.

Following to see if an actual ID can be established.

ScubaSteve
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Looks the same as one I have that was supplied as a m.confusa.

But then again I have another that was supplied as m.confusa that is much darker almost purple-ish base.

Following to see if an actual ID can be established.

M. confusa can be pretty variable in its growth form and can even morph colours to a degree (I had that happen with a colony after it bleached a bit and recovered). It can look like a number of other things, hence the name confusa...:razz:

The more I look at it, and especially with the description of growing a bit like a monti cap, I believe it is m. confusa.

If you can give me a better picture that can show the polyps a bit clearer I can give you a confirmation.

BMahura
11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Ya I believe you nailed it Steve. I was just unsure because it's about 3x3 inches and their are no peaks even forming

BMahura
11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Other then the two small ones in the middle

reefermadness
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
def confusa.