PDA

View Full Version : Remora without a host

eguld
11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
J and L has a pretty cool looking Remora and I am tempted to add it to a company tank but I would like to make sure that it would be happy without a host. The tank is 225 gallons and has no large fish only smaller fish. Thoughts?

I suspect this is a bad idea but I don't really understand how this fish handles aquarium life.

Corbin
11-01-2011, 01:06 AM
from what ive read they will do fine without a host, and also its good there are no larger fish, unless they are huge fish that can support it, it will likely be harassed to death if the remora thinks it will be a host which happens around if there the same size.

my 2 cents

JL site says
"Echeneis naucrates
Brought in as a special order originally. This guy has a voracious appetite, he will need a very large system, ideally with tank mates capable of competing for food. Approx. 9""

and read all this
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/remorafaqs.htm

MaroonGrace
11-01-2011, 01:11 AM
The Remora there is in good shape, although add with caution, they do grow almost 4' and will try to stick to anything the size of its head. Also he may eat smaller fish or anything he can "try" to swallow, they have a big appetite.

eguld
11-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I just don't feel confident enough that it will be a good match with the current tank inhabitants. They are all quite small and could easily be eaten by a 4' long fish.