PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Channel

ponokareefer
10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
I am looking at doing a DIY LED light system and was thinking of using aluminum channel instead of heat sinks to save a few bucks. Unfortunately, the only places I can find that sell it in central Alberta would charge more for the channels than what I would pay for heat sinks. Does anyone know of a place in Central Alberta that sells this stuff for cheap? I would think online would be quite expensive as shipping would probably cost a lot due to size.

parkinsn
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Try, EECOL, Westburne, Gescan in Red deer they might have it. If you know an electrician that has an account with them, they will get a better deal than you buying over the counter. Ask for Aluminum strut, will be 10' or 20' lengths.

granitereef
10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
I can get you some for cheap let me know the dimensions. I travel to ponoka every Tuesday so I can even drop it off.
Pm me if your interested.

Shaun

Big Tang
11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Let me know what size channel and length your after I work at a welding shop/ supplier. I'll see if I can get at my cost for you

hillegom
11-01-2011, 03:49 AM
If you don't get anything from the above reefers, you might try a scrap yard.

mseepman
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I went to my local machine shop...they stocked it and sold it for a quarter the price Princess Auto and Home Depot wanted. I had to give it a clean-up though as their yard left it pretty dirty.

Myka
11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Canadian Tire has a little rack near the automotive stuff of steel and aluminum rods, L bracket, and square tubing. Not sure if there is U channel, but you could give that a try. It is all 48" though.

ponokareefer
11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I went to my local machine shop...they stocked it and sold it for a quarter the price Princess Auto and Home Depot wanted. I had to give it a clean-up though as their yard left it pretty dirty.

I did try local shops that deal in metal, and they were the cheapest, but still more than heatsinks.

mseepman
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Really? Even after shipping those heatsinks into Canada? I spent $102 including tax for six 6' x 2" channel and one 6" x 4" channel. I was looking at over that for just shipping on heatsinks from heatsinkusa.

Where are you getting your heatsinks?

ponokareefer
11-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Really? Even after shipping those heatsinks into Canada? I spent $102 including tax for six 6' x 2" channel and one 6" x 4" channel. I was looking at over that for just shipping on heatsinks from heatsinkusa.

Where are you getting your heatsinks?

modularled.ca. $75 for 3 - 6 x 9 heatsinks. Shipping is free with the amount that I would be buying from them, but I live 50 km's away, so may just go and pick it up.