PDA

View Full Version : Will SPSs and LPSs sting each other !?

arash53
10-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Basically ,I want to add some SPS in my tank ,but anywhere I put one it will contact softies ,LSPs or Anemones ! I wonder if its possible to mount an SPS near the LSP or Anemones ?

Thanks,
Arash

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
They will kill the sps and probably suffer damage themselves. Usually, with corals, only the same species or family can touch (ie. my hammer & frogspawn) but even that generality is sometimes broken (my friend's torch killed hammers & frogspawns)

arash53
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks Anthony , even mushrooms not safe for SPS?

globaldesigns
10-31-2011, 07:21 PM
The problem is that Softies like torches, frogspawn, etc. will extend feelers out. Sometimes these can be stretched quite far. These extended arms will sting and kill to make room for it to grow. So probably not a good idea.

I mix them up, but I have the room to keep them away from the SPS, and would recommend the same.

Not really sure about mushrooms. I have some nice luminous green fuzzy mushrooms, right next to some SPS. They have been together for a couple years, and both the mushrooms and SPS are still there happy together. So I would assume in my case mushrooms are ok.

arash53
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you, I'll try to put an small frag beside my green hairy mushrooms to see if works.

Lampshade
10-31-2011, 08:06 PM
My mushrooms have nuked a few SPS frags and almost a colony. They've also grown up the base of my frogspawn to annoy that colony causing it to not extend fully. I've been using kalk paste to kill mushrooms recently because they have been such a pain.

Werbo
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Mushrooms and SPS do not mix. The mushrooms sting wins every time.

TimT
10-31-2011, 10:23 PM
LPS have sweeper tentacles which can extend up to 6".

Sps have a mucous which stings.

Leathers corals release toxins into the water.

globaldesigns
10-31-2011, 10:31 PM
LPS have sweeper tentacles which can extend up to 6".

Sps have a mucous which stings.

Leathers corals release toxins into the water.

Aren't reefs just fun!