PDA

View Full Version : How big is too big

Proteus
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
I bought a Naso tang at a lfs. On the weekend. It was in a 30 gallon sales tank I thought it was a beautiful fish and I wanted a larger one as I have a 4 inch powder blue. But I wonder if it may be to big.

My tank is 180 gallon. 72" long. And the Naso is about 8".

What are your limits on fish size or do you think it may need a bigger tank. I really like the fish but want it happy.

Myka
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Well, the Naso grows to 16-18" in captivity, so he will outgrow the 180. He should be ok in your tank until he's 12-13" though. I hope you have a good skimmer...he's a poop machine. Don't overfeed him.

Proteus
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks myka

It's a very nice fish. Didn't realize how big it was until I got home. But at the same time I couldn't turn down the price.

I am running a vertex in 250. And bioptim should be ok

globaldesigns
10-31-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a blonde nason in my 180 gallon. You will love him.

It is a very active fish, but so far my 180G is doing fine with it. Mine is only approx. 5 inches, so I have lots of room.

I agree don't overfeed. I find him and the others tangs graze the tank continually, keep everything clean between actual feeding times.

Proteus
10-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally I wanted a blonde Naso. Most of the basis I've seen lately were drab in color. So when I saw this one with great color and cheap I snatched it up. I thought 80 for a larger fish was a good price

globaldesigns
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally I wanted a blonde Naso. Most of the basis I've seen lately were drab in color. So when I saw this one with great color and cheap I snatched it up. I thought 80 for a larger fish was a good price

That is a real good price.