PDA

View Full Version : Cover or No Cover

reefcat
10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Recently took my cover off to compensate for the new skimmer and I have been losing quite a bit of water which is expected but man its getting up to almost a gallon a day. So I was just trying to get opinions if others out there get a custom top made or tuff it out and get an auto top-off. (I do really like the look of the tank with open top)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Now all my tanks have glass tops. They really aren't that expensive to get a good glass shop to cut some. My tanks with tops lose 1/3 or 1/4 of the water that my open topped one.

mark
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
If you like the open top look run open top.

As for ATO though can be simple (container above the sump and a float valve) to contollers, optical sensors and solenoids, one of the best additions to a system. Get one if even have covers.

doch
10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
ATO in my opinion is absolutely mandatory. Get one... you'll be so glad that you did.

On another note, I can't imagine having a top on my tank. Wouldn't that kill your PAR?

Aquattro
10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Glass tops can keep heat in which may be an issue. They will also require regular cleaning. The best thing I ever did for my tank was install an ATO. I haven't had to top off the tank in a year. Mine is plumbed into my household water supply (with appropriate safety stages). Previously, I used 5g jugs attached to a float valve.

Gripenfelter
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
When I ran my tank open I lost way too much water throughout the day that the return pump would start sucking air. About a gallon a day. After putting glass tops on I lose about 2 litres tops.