PDA

View Full Version : Decided on swc 160 or did I?

beginnersluckpg
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
So decided on what skimmer to finally go with. Now to find one went through all the sponsor sites and didn't notice anyone carrying them anyone know where I can find one.

Cal_stir
10-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Incredible Aquariums in london ontario sells them

phi delt reefer
10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Incredible Aquariums in london ontario sells them

ditto - give Bill a shout (owner of Incredible Aquarium)

outacontrol
10-31-2011, 03:10 AM
I just bought one today at Big Als in Edmonton. Its in the sump breaking in right now, so far I love it. It is really quiet!
Before I found out Big Als had them I was going to order it direct from Saltwater Connections website.

beginnersluckpg
10-31-2011, 03:16 AM
How much and what size?

outacontrol
10-31-2011, 03:25 AM
A SWC Xtreme 160 cone, thought that is what you were referring to in the title "swc 160".
Paid a little more than buying direct but worth it because I was able to see a demo unit in person before I bought it.
I think it is against site rules to actually post the price.

beginnersluckpg
10-31-2011, 03:28 AM
More looking for dealers more than anything. Something close with free shipping honestly,

Sebae again
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Check with Oceanic Corals in Aldergrove , B.C.

beginnersluckpg
10-31-2011, 03:32 AM
I assume that this is a good skimmer, no one has tried to talk me out of it yet. Any opinions?

reefbyremote
10-31-2011, 03:59 AM
I have had great luck with the swc cone 160. Very quiet, small footprint, easy to clean, pulls the gunk out of my tank very efficiently. No regrets buying it.

Myka
10-31-2011, 05:20 AM
I have a SWC 120 cone and a SWC 180 cone. The 120 has the Atman pump and the 180 has the Sicce pump. I replaced the Sicce impeller with a Red Devil and don't have any issues with it. I ran the skimmer for 4 months (it's not on a tank right now) and the 180 has been running for a few months). Both are good skimmers, but the pumps aren't known for their quality by any means. The Skimz skimmers would be a step up from the SWC, but using the same design (which I really like). Part of me wishes I would have bought Skimz instead, but I haven't had any issues with my SWC's...

I don't know any dealers in BC, but sending an email to SWC would probably get you a list of suppliers in BC. Ordering direct is always an option too.

philg3
10-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Check with Oceanic Corals in Aldergrove , B.C.

+1 for oceanic corals

I picked one of these up a month ago no issues bubbling like crazy. :biggrin:

lastlight
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I have a reg 160 Xtreme also from Oceanic Corals. The pump has been pretty horrible. Besides the startup issues it also seems to have power modes as in sometimes when I can get it started the water level in the skimmer is correct... other times it's really low like the pump isn't running at full power.

When it's working it works really well.

beginnersluckpg
11-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks for all your response and all the pms as well. I am going to continue to research for a bit so chime in if you wish. At the present moment the vertex looks like it might be the winner, good buddy recommends and well he hasn't steered me wrong and he brought up a great point. The pump being in the skimmer? Not sure if that's a good idea at all the more I think about it

fishytime
11-01-2011, 03:53 AM
These skimmers seem to skim very well but the pumps have always been the shortcoming of them....seems like the best thing to do with these skimmers is buy a replacement pump right off the get go.....the problem Laurie had was, her cone was two or three years old and SWC changed something with the way the pumps mounted to the volute or changed the volute itself.....she had a heck of a time trying to find the right askoll pump to mate up with.....finally ended up lucking out and found a PJs pets that was blowing out some old laguna pond pumps that had the askoll block with the proper mounting configuration...

Myka
11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
The pump being in the skimmer? Not sure if that's a good idea at all the more I think about it

That's one of my reasons for buying! I LOVE the pump being inside the skimmer. The inlet to the skimmer is still accessible from the outside of the skimmer, so it's not a big deal. The pump is easy to get out too...the bottom of the skimmer screws off so you clean the skimmer and pump.

The restart issues that Brett (lastlight) is talking about is why I upgraded the impeller on the Sicce. From reviews I read, the Red Devil seems to completely solve the restart issues. I never ran mine without the Red Devil, so I can't compare, but mine doesn't have any restart issues. The power fade is something else entirely though...that doesn't sound good!

The Vertex are good skimmers, I like the cone design better though, and I don't think I will buy another cylinder shaped skimmer again. The cone appears to be more efficient to me.

I ran a EuroReef RS-180 on my tank before I bought the SWC 180 cone. The skimmers are very similar in specs and the SWC skims the pants off the EuroReef. Plus, the SWC is dead silent and the EuroReef is very loud. EuroReef is still quite a respected skimmer, and was industry standard for a long time.