PDA

View Full Version : Moon lights?

Gripenfelter
10-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I had moon lights but got rid of them when I sold my last fixture.

Running LEDs now. Do fish/coral really benefit from moonlights?

Aquattro
10-28-2011, 03:59 PM

I doubt it. I've run a successful tank for 10 years without it. I have one sitting beside the tank, which one day might get installed, but just for those times I'm up at 3am and want to peek in the tank.

Gripenfelter
10-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Someone told me I can just buy cheap $10 Xmas LEDs for moon lights?

lastlight
10-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I used some blue rope lights for my first sw tank. cheap, waterproof and worked well. They weren't that bright but that's ideal in this case.

ponokareefer
10-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Someone told me I can just buy cheap $10 Xmas LEDs for moon lights?

Will work perfect.

asylumdown
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Apparently people have been able to trigger coral spawning in their tanks by using moonlights that are programmed to emulate a natural lunar cycle. I'm pretty sure that's the only benefit though (and it's possible that corals spewing a whole bunch of spooge in to your water on the full moon isn't a necessarily a desirable outcome for you). If you're not syncing them to a lunar cycle, I'm pretty sure they're only for your viewing pleasure.

I think they look cool, personally. Let's you see all sorts of night-time things you otherwise would miss.

Lampshade
10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
I've heard of the coral spawn thing as well. I've always wondered if it would actually be a good thing. It's a hell of a lot of mess, it's killed entire ocean reef's.

I used to run 3 LED's, right now my refugium lights up the whole room my tank is in. Once i actually get time to finish my stand I'll probably hook them up again. Lots of stuff going on at night. I've been able to see that my clownfish have laid eggs in my zoa's, and guard it with everything throughout the day, but once night comes they hide in the opposite corner of the tank while the foxface sleeps there....

Hustler
10-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Is this the same as say an attinic LED bar? or do you have to find actual moon type lights if you wanted it on over the night?
I just picked up a 54w 48" attinic led bar for after all the main lights go of.... But if it will disturb anything I wont bother with it....

Aquattro
10-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Is this the same as say an attinic LED bar? or do you have to find actual moon type lights if you wanted it on over the night?
I just picked up a 54w 48" attinic led bar for after all the main lights go of.... But if it will disturb anything I wont bother with it....

That might be a bit bright :) My moonlight is a single LED bulb.

Raf
10-29-2011, 04:17 AM
I have moonlights on my 220 fowlr....I think it looks cool but the fish never seem to sleep...then all day they have droopy eyes and look tired :D

daniella3d
10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
In my case it is essential. My mandarins only lay eggs under the moonlight. If it is dark they are hidden in the rock and nearly all white and if the main light is on they don't spawn. Under the moonlight however they do their gracefull spawning and it is mesmerizing to watch.

Without the moonlight, part of their life would be missing. I suspect that it is also a part of coral life as often coral will spawn under the moonlight. I think something in the natural life of the aquarium would be missing without it.

Mine only stay on until midnight but for that hour my mandarin are spawning on regular basis.

I had moon lights but got rid of them when I sold my last fixture.