PDA

View Full Version : BEST UNDERWATER CAMERA???

Harpo
10-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any Underwater Cameras that they would recommend? I am starting to take scuba lessons and when I get out in the ocean... I don't want to be dissapointed with my camera when I hit the shore.

Any help or opinions on picking the right camera would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks! :biggrin:

doch
10-28-2011, 05:48 AM
I have no personal experience with it, but from research and reviews, this is the one that made my birthday wish list:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/LUMIX-Digital-Cameras-Point-amp-Shoot-Models/model.DMC-TS3D_11002_7000000000000005702

I should also mention that there were 2 main things that I was looking for when looking... versatility, and a decent macro. This camera is able to take pics from (I think) 1.5cm away. My wife has a panasonic as well, and it's a great little camera.

BMW Rider
10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I have no personal experience with it, but from research and reviews, this is the one that made my birthday wish list:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/LUMIX-Digital-Cameras-Point-amp-Shoot-Models/model.DMC-TS3D_11002_7000000000000005702

I should also mention that there were 2 main things that I was looking for when looking... versatility, and a decent macro. This camera is able to take pics from (I think) 1.5cm away. My wife has a panasonic as well, and it's a great little camera.

I have that camera and am pleased with it. Good photo quality, durable and waterproof and has GPS tagging. Not sure about SCUBA use though as its only rated for 12m/40ft. Perfect for snorkling or swimming, or for motorcycling in the rain which is my primary use for it. For really deep water use, you may need to look at a camera housing setup.

saltcreep
10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I recommend the Canon S95 ($370) with the Canon underwater housing ($250). That should get your started. The Canons (S and G series) will allow you to shoot in full manual and RAW. The S95 also shoots HD video which is nice. The camera is nice and small so it's easy to take anywhere.

I just bought that setup for my wife but I won't have any pictures or video from it until after our sea lion dive on Hornby Island in two weeks.

A bigger recommendation is to learn to dive first and become comfortable in the water. No need to introduce extra task loading when it's not necessary. Work on your buoyancy and then work on your buoyancy some more.

parkinsn
10-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a cannon D10, really happy with it. Im sure there is a newer model out as I bough it a few years ago. Great for snorkeling and pics of the tank. For scuba though I think the better way to go is with a nice camera and an underwater box for it. From what I remember the camera is the cheap part, its the box that will cost you.

Seamazter
10-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I have an olympus stylus, only ever used it my reef tank.
Says its good upto 10 feet, surly your not scubaing at that.
They do build boxes with seals for deep water diving, you just need to buy the right one for your camera.

Man thats one long url.

http://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=underwater%20camera%20case&gmexp=c#q=underwater+camera+case&hl=en&client=gmail&rls=gm&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=mt2qTsXnHumqiAL49KGGCw&ved=0CJ4BEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=e7860e478ef510b3&biw=1920&bih=924

sphelps
10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Recently discussed:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77927&highlight=underwater+diving

jostafew
10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
I've got a Canon D10 as well which I took to Hawaii last year and spent probably 4 days in the water with it. It performed very well with me, but my biggest beef with it is that is has a very narrow field of view; ie. you have to back way up in order to get everything in frame. Other than that it takes great photos underwater (when set to under water), the buttons are big and well laid out for underwater use, and screen as well is bright and easily visible in the water. Battery life is very good as well, even when chilled (in the water). Another smaller complaint is that it does not expose long enough when trying to do night time scenery shots. My old A310 I could rest on something sturdy, set it to landscape mode and take a shot with the timer (so my finger pressing the shutter wouldn't disturb it) and it would sit there and expose as long as it needed to take killer night time shots. D10 won't do it and under exposes every time. Regular night time shooting with the flash is great, don't get me wrong, but the odd person who likes to play around with long exposure night time shots will be dissapointed.

spawn
10-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I recommend the Canon S95 ($370) with the Canon underwater housing ($250). That should get your started. The Canons (S and G series) will allow you to shoot in full manual and RAW. The S95 also shoots HD video which is nice. The camera is nice and small so it's easy to take anywhere.

I just bought that setup for my wife but I won't have any pictures or video from it until after our sea lion dive on Hornby Island in two weeks.

A bigger recommendation is to learn to dive first and become comfortable in the water. No need to introduce extra task loading when it's not necessary. Work on your buoyancy and then work on your buoyancy some more.
+1 my wife still has trouble with her buoyancy & being relaxed. On our last dive together, I had to surface with her as she was at 3 bar & I was still at 26 That made for a long sit on the boat. It's paramount to be comfortable with your surroundings. She likes snorkelling better anyway...:)

I also have the olympus stylus tough, & I hate it. It's okay for snorkelling, but very hit or miss on pic quality. I took it diving in the dominican though,(which was boring) & had it at 50' for 54 min though. It again was hit or miss with the lighting & pic quality, but it made it with out issue.

Jason McK
10-29-2011, 12:04 AM

That's also the one on my wish list

Ross
11-15-2011, 03:29 AM
I'd second everyone that said to use a Canon in a dedicated case.
They are rated for the depths that one would want (100+ ft.)

I have a Canon A650IS and mating case and cant complain about it.
(other than no HD video and Raw modes)

If you want a wide angle and HD video look at a http://gopro.com/
Beforewarned, clicking on this link will make you want to do all sorts of cool things just because you have the camera.

Ross

Sumfingwong
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM
My old company gave out presents one year for xmas. I ended up picking up a Canon 1400is. I bought an underwater case for it, for a $200 camera, and $200 case. It performed awesome, its pretty compact, so its easy to carry around, I just attached it to my bcd.

Pinchy
11-30-2011, 03:26 AM
Based on the PADI diver magazine (I have a subscription) the best point and shoot camera for your buck based on the review of 10 others was the Olympus Stylus Tough 1030 series. I have the same camera and underwater housing. Let me tell you, it rocks!

nerdz
12-01-2011, 04:21 AM
My vote is definitely Canon is you go point and shoot. I have the D10 as well and its great although a little bulky. This is great for snorkelling. Get a Canon plus case for deeper.

I would stay away from the Olympus based on my experience. Both mine and two other friends failed. (we all had the expensive one rated for 35' or whatever it was). Olympus do have the following pros':
They are sleek, have metal housing, good interface, amazing led for macro.

Cons: poor picture quality due to the "lens" not being lens and it periscopes onto a mirror then to lens. Not good in low light due to tiny lens, metal Case corrodes even when faithfully cleaned in freshwater after use. The motorized "lens" cover breaks, you have use stupid Olympus memory cards verses SD, poor warrentee support...

Hmm, that was a bit of an anti Olympus rant... Sorry

TimT
12-01-2011, 06:34 AM
I would recommend a Canon G series with its matching UW housing. I think they are good to 100ft. Only a few issues I have found with Canon G9, no manual focus when in the housing, flash gets blocked if your too close to subject. The G12 is only 389US