PDA

View Full Version : Radion owners speak up..

jorjef
10-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Okay lets hear from the people that own them. There has to be a bunch of you out there!! What do you have to say, good, bad? meets expectations or left a little dissappointed. No arm chair experts, if you didn't shell out the cash hold your comments please. Will be interesting to see how quiet this thread may or may not be.

Harpo
10-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Here is a link to Radion for anyone that was just wondering what RADION was and what they are talking about. At least I think...Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

jorjef
10-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks, but what I was shooting for was first hand reviews from people that have purchased the light.

Aquattro
10-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Wonder how many here have purchased yet, since all the vendors just received stock. Might take a few more days for shipping, etc..

jorjef
10-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Could be, I saw a pic of a stack of them that I assumed were in a store either in Calgary or Edmonton and also assumed a good amount would have been pre-sold, could be wrong on both accounts. A couple of people seem to have them on this site. Just a bit interesting that there are no "Wow factor" posts from them.

unclesalty
10-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks, but what I was shooting for was first hand reviews from people that have purchased the light.

Jeff, you can check mine out in person next week as my tracking number was emailed to me today so it won't be long now!! Also bought a PAR meter to do some LED testing. Also I ended up getting the 4 Radions for even cheaper than what I told you earlier through a different company! If the spread is as good as Ecotech say it is, I will have 1 extra fixture for sale. If I don't like them I will have 4 for sale and buy some more AI Sol blues and call it a done deal!

jorjef
10-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Sounds good, let me know when you have them powered up! Still need first hand reviews don't be shy, people are waiting to hear if the product met the hype for you!

unclesalty
10-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Sounds good, let me know when you have them powered up! Still need first hand reviews don't be shy, people are waiting to hear if the product met the hype for you!

Sounds good Jeff. I will also have to buy a piece of flat bar to bolt them all to and I have 2 of the premium hanging kits ordered also to attach to each end. Hopefully they are worth the wait as I have been waiting a few months for these! One bad thing is I recently switch to a Mac computer so no adanced settings will be availble for now I've heard owning a Mac

Rice Reef
10-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Soon to make a decision of whether to go with Radion or AI Sol Blues so I'm tagging along:drinking:

By the way, any suggestions in how to hang these up to the ceiling with the wiring kit? Do I need two or three radion over a 4 ft long tank ( either 90 (48x18x24 or 120 gallon 48x24x24) and the same if I were to go AI Sols?

lastlight
10-28-2011, 07:40 AM
One bad thing is I recently switch to a Mac computer so no adanced settings will be availble for now I've heard owning a Mac

Bootcamp or Parallels are but two ways to get past that...

babyreef
10-28-2011, 04:10 PM
BLANK

cale262
10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Well I bought two of them, First i have to figure out how I'm going to mount them over the tank, I have some idea's I'm going to play around with on Sunday. I'm also running three other LED units, a Pacsun Black Python 200W which will be replaced by the ecotech's since I have to send this unit back to Poland for warranty reasons..., a 180w Reeftech Prometheous and a EcoXotic 24" fixture, so it will be nice to compare between the three units...so far the Ecotech are the most aesthetically pleasing and i'm really looking forward to the different colors the Ecotech has to offer.

cale262
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
... One bad thing is I recently switch to a Mac computer so no adanced settings will be availble for now I've heard owning a Mac

All my computers are macs aswell but I bought a cheap Toshiba a while back just to use for the Aquarium stuff, you can get one for less than $300 new, or finding a used one for less shouldn't be too hard.

Bblinks
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Well I bought two of them, First i have to figure out how I'm going to mount them over the tank, I have some idea's I'm going to play around with on Sunday. I'm also running three other LED units, a Pacsun Black Python 200W which will be replaced by the ecotech's since I have to send this unit back to Poland for warranty reasons..., a 180w Reeftech Prometheous and a EcoXotic 24" fixture, so it will be nice to compare between the three units...so far the Ecotech are the most aesthetically pleasing and i'm really looking forward to the different colors the Ecotech has to offer.

Dude, your are crazy, I can't believe you got all 4 fixtures... must too be nice to have money.:mrgreen:
one question, pacsun compare to reeftech. which one do you prefer and which one gets better results as far as coral growth and color? ultimately which one do you like it better.
Thanks for the feed back.

cale262
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
...one question, pacsun compare to reeftech. which one do you prefer and which one gets better results as far as coral growth and color? ultimately which one do you like it better.
Thanks for the feed back.

Can't really compare the two in this respect as the pacsun is over the SPS tank and the Reeftech is over a softy tank...the SPS tank was growing like crazy until I started to have issues with the pacsun about a month ago, since then things have really gone down hill quickly...So I'm hoping to turn things around with the Ecotech units over this tank >Crossing fingers< Other than that I think the pacsun and reeftech are pretty much the same in most repects except for software, the reeftech software was a huge let down, they may have sorted it out now but I've been running them with the 1.2 beta SW since i recieved them as the production software never worked for me.

nrosdal
10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Soon to make a decision of whether to go with Radion or AI Sol Blues so I'm tagging along:drinking:

By the way, any suggestions in how to hang these up to the ceiling with the wiring kit? Do I need two or three radion over a 4 ft long tank ( either 90 (48x18x24 or 120 gallon 48x24x24) and the same if I were to go AI Sols?

the radions cover 24"x24" each, so 2 would be fine for a 4 footer. Here is a very good preview/alot of info and a look at how the after market hanging kit will look in use.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/the-definitive-ecotech-radion-preview

unclesalty
10-28-2011, 08:41 PM
All my computers are macs aswell but I bought a cheap Toshiba a while back just to use for the Aquarium stuff, you can get one for less than $300 new, or finding a used one for less shouldn't be too hard.

Since my tank is in basement I think thats what I will do is buy a cheap used laptop.

Lampshade
10-28-2011, 09:56 PM
You mac guys check out:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Lets you boot up a windows XP inside of a screen on your mac. I did it on my old XP to boot a Linux. Worked great. Might let you install and run the radion software. You can find XP's around for free....

Buying the laptop is a good idea too. I just got this one for $350 refurbished from besybuy. Runs great, even plays new video games pretty well. I was shocked.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-core-i3-370m-laptop-as5742-6977-blaack-refurbished-as5742-6977/10180615.aspx?path=bdba3eb84bb9bb7d3bb1c644b926890 aen02

unclesalty
10-29-2011, 06:51 AM
You mac guys check out:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Lets you boot up a windows XP inside of a screen on your mac. I did it on my old XP to boot a Linux. Worked great. Might let you install and run the radion software. You can find XP's around for free....

Buying the laptop is a good idea too. I just got this one for $350 refurbished from besybuy. Runs great, even plays new video games pretty well. I was shocked.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-core-i3-370m-laptop-as5742-6977-blaack-refurbished-as5742-6977/10180615.aspx?path=bdba3eb84bb9bb7d3bb1c644b926890 aen02

Thanks for the info with different options!

amuvor
10-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Okay lets hear from the people that own them. There has to be a bunch of you out there!! What do you have to say, good, bad? meets expectations or left a little dissappointed. No arm chair experts, if you didn't shell out the cash hold your comments please. Will be interesting to see how quiet this thread may or may not be.
---------------

I purchased two Radion fixtures from Concept Aquatics. Thank you Dave and Brad.

I have hanged them from the ceiling temporarily, with rope.

My tank is 4feet long, but it’s 38” wide, and shallow: 22”. The water column, however, sand excluded, is only 18”.

Initially, I experimented hanging the Radions 6 inches away from the water surface, but I got an unlit portion in the middle of the tank, and marked shadows.

At 12” from the water (see pics) the shadows disappear and the tank appears more homogeneously lit.

I used the spectral plots reported in Advanced Aquarist by Sanjai Joshi for Iwasaki and Radium 250W bulbs to guide me in programming spectral peaks and lows for the Radion. I followed Riddle’s work to manage the red part of the spectrum.

The measurements below were taken at noon, when I programmed the fixture to display the highest relative intensity.

Average PAR measurements (Apogee) on the mid to upper reef (12 measurements) is 305; range: 170-455.

Note on expectations:

The tank appears dimmer than it did under MH / Compact combo, even though PAR measurements are on par.

The reds, pinks, and blues appear washed; mute, a little bland.

Glitter lines do compare to MH’s.

Software does not include natural mode; only artificial. I experienced problems with launching speed. Overall, the interface feels underdeveloped, not as user friendly as it could be.

evaneatspie555
10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
I think it still has a nice look tho hopefully they can improve on these before I buy them I will set up an average 55 tank would one fixture be enough with 2 screw in par38 bulbs on either side ??

unclesalty
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
---------------

I purchased two Radion fixtures from Concept Aquatics. Thank you Dave and Brad.

I have hanged them from the ceiling temporarily, with rope.

My tank is 4feet long, but it’s 38” wide, and shallow: 22”. The water column, however, sand excluded, is only 18”.

Initially, I experimented hanging the Radions 6 inches away from the water surface, but I got an unlit portion in the middle of the tank, and marked shadows.

At 12” from the water (see pics) the shadows disappear and the tank appears more homogeneously lit.

I used the spectral plots reported in Advanced Aquarist by Sanjai Joshi for Iwasaki and Radium 250W bulbs to guide me in programming spectral peaks and lows for the Radion. I followed Riddle’s work to manage the red part of the spectrum.

The measurements below were taken at noon, when I programmed the fixture to display the highest relative intensity.

Average PAR measurements (Apogee) on the mid to upper reef (12 measurements) is 305; range: 170-455.

Note on expectations:

The tank appears dimmer than it did under MH / Compact combo, even though PAR measurements are on par.

The reds, pinks, and blues appear washed; mute, a little bland.

Glitter lines do compare to MH’s.

Software does not include natural mode; only artificial. I experienced problems with launching speed. Overall, the interface feels underdeveloped, not as user friendly as it could be.

I was hoping to use the natural mode too but I also noticed its not in the software. Setting up color, %, and intesity and at what time, seems like it might take a little while to set up. Still waiting for my hanging kits but I do have a tracking number for them so early next week they will be here. They seem way brighter lights than my (3 weeks old)AI Sol Blue module- by far! Jeremy at Premium Aquatics thinks the opposite at his first glance??? Once I get my hanging kits I will test them with par readings side by side in my 120gal.

Aqua-Digital
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
In regards to software, Ecotech have said from day 1 that the software will be first released with not all functionality available but will swiftly work to adding more features as swiftly as possible

Radion Software
Unlock the full potential of the Radion XR30w with the EcoSmart Configuration Utility. Connect to a Windows PC and create customized lighting periods with fully adjustable spectrum and intensity. Opt in grouping and weather features are also enabled.

Check back frequently for new software and firmware releases that will add new controllabilty and functionality to your Radion fixture.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

Units out there - we have now personally distributed a total of 56 units into Canada so I am sure within the next month there will be plenty written about ;)

Parker
11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Tagging along, if I keep cooking ballasts then I'll be looking to upgrade to some other form of lighting.

cale262
11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Well so far, I have both units hung from one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever made...but it works.

I had a hard time getting the software to recognize both lights, had to reset the lights to factory default a couple time to make both visible, Now they look like they are working via SW, but #2 seems to be on a different time sequence as they both work together to a point but every morning I get up #2 is on long before #1…The SW is still buggy, I’ve programmed a couple project but the SW is having issues saving or loading to programs. Tonight I think I’m going to reload the SW and see if that gets me better results.

The Lightening storm effect is kewl :smile:

tidal_waters
11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Well so far, I have both units hung from one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever made...but it works.

I had a hard time getting the software to recognize both lights, had to reset the lights to factory default a couple time to make both visible, Now they look like they are working via SW, but #2 seems to be on a different time sequence as they both work together to a point but every morning I get up #2 is on long before #1…The SW is still buggy, I’ve programmed a couple project but the SW is having issues saving or loading to programs. Tonight I think I’m going to reload the SW and see if that gets me better results.

The Lightening storm effect is kewl :smile:

I had this same problem, what you need to do is when you are Programming ensure that you click on the "group" tab on the left where both of your units are listed. I was accidentally programming both lights to do two different things before I figured out what was going on.

cale262
11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I had this same problem, what you need to do is when you are Programming ensure that you click on the "group" tab on the left where both of your units are listed. I was accidentally programming both lights to do two different things before I figured out what was going on.

kewl, I'll make sure I check that tonight:tea:

Aqua-Digital
11-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Make sure you download R3 software now available and also as above check your grouping seems you are running them independantly.

Parker
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
How far above a 30" tank can the lights be mounted and still remain effective to the bottom of the tank?

Aqua-Digital
11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
depends on the depth of the tank, the recommendation is 8" above for a 24" tank surface area.

If you dont have SPS on the floor then you can see how one goes.

cale262
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Make sure you download R3 software now available and also as above check your grouping seems you are running them independantly.

I've been using 1.3 since it was released on Nov.4th and I'll check the grouping tonight...

cale262
11-10-2011, 12:25 AM

Bingo, that's exactly what I was doing...all go now, thanks :biggrin:

Discovered something else tonight, storm mode turns my Scopas into a real bizatch, chases everyone around and then goes back to her normal docile self when it ends.

Zoaelite
11-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Bingo, that's exactly what I was doing...all go now, thanks :biggrin:

Discovered something else tonight, storm mode turns my Scopas into a real bizatch, chases everyone around and then goes back to her normal docile self when it ends.

+1 on the multi programing, my zoas are not too excited at the moment but time will tell.

tidal_waters
11-10-2011, 03:52 AM
havent programmed any storms into my lighting schedule, however one cool thing I have done was made an violet sunset type of lighting before my deep blues come on. Some corals looks absolutely amazing and all my fish take on a whole new vibrant look!

cale262
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
here's a quick video of the storm mode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmUQLH2M9Io

clowny
11-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Why in storm mode does it get brighter? can that be reprogrammed I would like a more realistic storm without the yellow color. It should go dark and light bright white as it does not get brighter and flash....

lastlight
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
same effect here I'm noticing (and this is the guy who is featured in all the radion photos in the press releases):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0FEK_xmovI

cale262
11-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Why in storm mode does it get brighter? can that be reprogrammed I would like a more realistic storm without the yellow color. It should go dark and light bright white as it does not get brighter and flash....

In the software it looks like you can custom program the storm anyway you would like, In the posted YouTube video I simply (read: lazy) used the factory imbedded storm program ...when I have more time I'll program my own storm that is less bright, maybe at 5% of 18k ish.

Aqua-Digital
11-11-2011, 05:35 PM
My little Review

Late last night I finally got to set one unit up on our home 24" cube! After taking down the Pacific Sun 160w Black Python.

If you have been following my tank build thread I have gone from Ai through Pacific sun and now onto the Radion.

The first impression is how light the unit is, the construction is what i would expect from an Ipad, tight solid and very well crafted, everything fits well together and a great deal of attention has gone into the eye candy touch.

Onto functionality, the software is a breeze, it took me a bit longer as I am the typical alpha male when it comes to a set of destructions,

1. Open box.
2. Stand back and be smug
3. Find recycling
4. file instructions under the empty cereal packet from this morning

So please dont do this, I would have hit the sack at 11pm not midnight if I had bothered to read them, that being said it is not rocket science you just need to (no really) know the order of plugging in the USB.

Light rendition - WOW!! Hands down Ecotech have this licked! I have played with enough little glowing diode devices now to know what is and what is not and the Radion hits the spot, I found colours in my leopard wrasse that I did not know existed. My corals now pop.

I initially set up the lamp to 14K but for me being the true UK reef keeper where we like a more natural look, I found this a bit too blue so opted for 12K and still thinking of going down further to 10K, this is one cool factor with the Radion, having ore set K ratings.

I am also able to run mine at full bore 100%, this is due to my corals used to basking under 160w for the last 6 months, however the 130w of the Radion is no less bright as they run the XPG's at full 5w.

Here is a little home movie of me at home

http://youtu.be/uq0fvpKyDDg

unclesalty
11-12-2011, 12:59 AM
havent programmed any storms into my lighting schedule, however one cool thing I have done was made an violet sunset type of lighting before my deep blues come on. Some corals looks absolutely amazing and all my fish take on a whole new vibrant look!

Finally my hanging kit arrived yesterday and I got 2 of mine hung on my 120. I have to agree with you on the awesome look of the corals and fish! Also super low power usage compared to my Halide fixture. Definately keeping and going with the Radions and selling my Halide fixture and the AI fixture

tidal_waters
11-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Finally my hanging kit arrived yesterday and I got 2 of mine hung on my 120. I have to agree with you on the awesome look of the corals and fish! Also super low power usage compared to my Halide fixture. Definately keeping and going with the Radions and selling my Halide fixture and the AI fixture

Try turning on just your deep blues and slowly increase your reds till you get a "purplelish" color.

tidal_waters
11-12-2011, 01:59 AM
One other thing that I have noticed and was wondering if its happening to anyone else, is the feed mode. If you have not done so already and you have some vortechs, try utilizing the feed mode option on the lights. My two MP40s go into feed mode when I press the keys on the radion's, but when I come out of feed mode(via radion), the MP40w light stays a constant white and increases in flow, but I have to manually exit the feed mode on the vortech unit to go back into the green constant flow setting

unclesalty
11-12-2011, 03:18 AM
One other thing that I have noticed and was wondering if its happening to anyone else, is the feed mode. If you have not done so already and you have some vortechs, try utilizing the feed mode option on the lights. My two MP40s go into feed mode when I press the keys on the radion's, but when I come out of feed mode(via radion), the MP40w light stays a constant white and increases in flow, but I have to manually exit the feed mode on the vortech unit to go back into the green constant flow setting

That seems kind of odd. I will have to try my feed mode tomorrow and see if my mp40's react the same way.

ultreef
11-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Do you have picture of your tank with the radions? Is your 120g a 4x2? And what kind of corals do you keep?

tgrover
11-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Is anyone willing to share projects? They can be uploaded and or emailed. If anyone is interesed I could setup a dropbox account.. Thoughts??

unclesalty
11-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Do you have picture of your tank with the radions? Is your 120g a 4x2? And what kind of corals do you keep?

I will post pics in the next day or so. Yes it is a 4x2x2 120g and 2 Radions are perfect for it.

unclesalty
11-13-2011, 05:57 AM
That seems kind of odd. I will have to try my feed mode tomorrow and see if my mp40's react the same way.

I never did try the feed mode thing today. What I did notice tonight when the Radion was in night mode my pumps were both working but not pulsating. Both controllers are flashing white just like in feed mode. Are the mp's in a night mode? but I didn't think that feature was available yet. Anyone know?

mexxedm
11-13-2011, 06:55 AM

The height above the tank should be between 18 - 24 in. You need one Radion for every 24 in length. So You probably need two Radion for each tank.

tgrover
11-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Maxedm Mine does the same thing. When you are using the Ecotech config software does it list your Vortech as a device?

Mine doesn't. I'd sure like to be able to control the powerhead...

cale262
11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
The height above the tank should be between 18 - 24 in....

Are you running yours that high, mine are sitting @ 8"s above water surface, spread is perfect without light spill.

mike31154
11-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Ok, I can see communication between the lights & pumps being a useful feature for night mode, or the lightning storm business, but feed mode? How does the livestock benefit in any way from the lights controlling the pumps when it's feeding time, or vice versa? I suppose if the lights were turned way down, they need to come back to a level where the fish can see the food, but I don't know of many folks that feed their fish at night or under other low light conditions?

mexxedm
11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, everything grows perfectly.

tgrover
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Mainly I'd like to program the Vortech for night and early morning but I just can't get the powerhead and the light talking... Any suggestions?

tidal_waters
11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Ok, I can see communication between the lights & pumps being a useful feature for night mode, or the lightning storm business, but feed mode? How does the livestock benefit in any way from the lights controlling the pumps when it's feeding time, or vice versa? I suppose if the lights were turned way down, they need to come back to a level where the fish can see the food, but I don't know of many folks that feed their fish at night or under other low light conditions?

The lights don't do anything when in feed mode, its just a more convenient way to enter feed mode rather than reaching behind my tank to my vortech modules.

I have my Vortechs on constant flow at approximately 85% and feeding with this kinda flow is a waste of food as it scatters very quickly.

MarkoD
11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I feed with all pumps full blast. I make my fish work for it

martinmcnally
11-13-2011, 10:29 PM
These will be great lights when the next couple of revisions of the software comes out, right now its very basic. The light output however is intense. The only thing I worry about though is having it all concentrated in the center of the tank. They are kind of like MHs in that way although people usually will supplement those with some T5s, so that's a little to think about.

One thing (other than the software) I was disappointed about was I was assuming that since it has wireless communication that it could be controlled wirelessly, but that's not the case. Programming and settings and such need to be done plugged in.

Other than that they are beautiful lights and awesome case design.

unclesalty
11-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Here is a couple of pics of mine but not the greatest quality with an IPhone. Currently in the pics they are drawing 75 watts combined with a PAR rating of 400 at the water surface approx 12" below fixtures.

Rice Reef
11-14-2011, 05:21 AM
"The only thing I worry about though is having it all concentrated in the center of the tank."

Have four ordered from Modular LED, three for my new 120 and saving the last for a future frag or nano tank. Hope having the three hung width-wise (instead of horizontally ) will give more balance.

One thing (other than the software) I was disappointed about was I was assuming that since it has wireless communication that it could be controlled wirelessly, but that's not the case. Programming and settings and such need to be done plugged in.

Hope Ecotech will come out with a wireless USB down the road or even possibility of a Bluetooth for iPhones etc...

mexxedm
11-14-2011, 05:30 AM
http://community.ecotechmarine.com/ecotechmarine/topics/how_to_control_radion_through_ecosmart_driver

unclesalty
11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Just read where the guy on RC with his 12 Radions over his 500g said he will never go back to metal halide!

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh man I can't wait to get mine running.

A little confused though as I downloaded the manual the other night ( bored at work ) and the manual shows you how to do the Natural mode?

Is the natural mode not active yet in the software? Sorry guys mine is still in the box so I haven't downloaded any software yet.

cale262
12-13-2011, 09:01 PM

A little confused though as I downloaded the manual the other night ( bored at work ) and the manual shows you how to do the Natural mode?

Is the natural mode not active yet in the software? Sorry guys mine is still in the box so I haven't downloaded any software yet.

The latest SW revision includes the "Natural" mode.

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
excellent thank you

unclesalty
12-14-2011, 02:23 AM

Even though your lights are still in the box you can download the latest software to check it out. I still have mine on artificial mode which is awesome but will be upgrading to natural mode tomorrow which I hear is even better than artificial mode. You will love these lights like everyone else does I'm sure!