PDA

View Full Version : What Sand/Substrate is better??

Harpo
10-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering what kind of substrate you would recommend and why. I am thinking of using white fine sand as it's easy to spot detritus on but was also thinking about black as I have never used.

This will be for a NANO FOWLR.

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :biggrin:

Hustler
10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Im watching... Im looking for sand for mine aswell

68shelby
10-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a fine white sand in my tank, I would never again use it, it gets stirred up by everything. I would use a pebble type rock or even rubble but never fine sand again, my personal opinion.

outacontrol
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I really like the CaribSea Aragonite - Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
It is fine enough that it looks mostly like sand, and course enough that it doesn't stir up too easy

reefwars
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
guess it would depend on what you like or plan to keep...some sandsifting fish dont like large substrate and some corals/anemones like fine sand.

some do without all together;)

lee9
10-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I have a fine white sand in my tank, I would never again use it, it gets stirred up by everything. I would use a pebble type rock or even rubble but never fine sand again, my personal opinion.

+1

I used the the Aragonite sugar-sized sand as well and wouldn't use it again either. It get's stirred up too easily by fish, powerheads, etc. I will go coarser next time.

I find it kind of a nuisance to clean too. You always suck some out with the detritus. I supposed I could filter it out of the used water, clean it and put it back in my tank but that would probably make a mess too.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Never used sugar-fine because of the cloudy water issue. I use the med. grade aragonite sand. Wash it out thoroughly then turn off the pumps & pour it in and spread it out. Not a problem.

Myka
10-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Fine sand (Oolite, sugar) is a pain in the butt...it blows around too easily. I like Caribsea Select or Special. I also don't like much sand, no more than an inch...all it does is trap detritus anyway (for the most part in most setups). I personally don't like black sand...although in some nanos it looks kinda cool

StirCrazy
10-28-2011, 02:43 AM
I like that clear silica sand...

Steve

Harpo
11-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Thank you all for your comments! Great to know! :biggrin:

fishytime
11-03-2011, 01:51 AM
I really like the CaribSea Aragonite - Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand
It is fine enough that it looks mostly like sand, and course enough that it doesn't stir up too easy

+1:biggrin: