PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hype over these ecotec LEDs?

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Why are people so pumped for these? Just cause they're expensive and are made by ecotec doesn't mean they're good. Why is everyone so willing to spend thousands of dollars for these units over any other led units?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 05:48 PM
prob because retailers push them on these forums and others....im not impressed with them either...nothing to special to me.... and maybe if i had billions of dollars extra to throw around but im sure my dog,house and carrer could use the money better than my tank....my tank does fine with halides/t5's and moons.......not enough of a bonus to spend thousands on a light fixture for me.

for the price of one of these i could buy a couple full set ups off of here and still have enough for a weekend out with the friends;);)

ScubaSteve
10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Ecotech has seemingly taken some steps forward but in all honesty I believe they were more to get around patent issues (sort of like the company that had the lightning feature). That said, they're decent looking fixtures compared to some of the other ones out there. Look nice but I'll stick my energy hoggin' halides for a few more years until people really figure out the LED game... or until I build my own:razz:

But really... what it all boils down to is that Ecotech can poop in tin foil, wrap it up and sell it hand over fist as gold. They're kinda like the Apple of the marine hobby world.

kien
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Why are people so pumped for these? Just cause they're expensive and are made by ecotec doesn't mean they're good. Why is everyone so willing to spend thousands of dollars for these units over any other led units?

for many of the same reasons that people buy iPhones :lol:

WARNING: Profanity laced..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

kien
10-27-2011, 06:08 PM
But really... what it all boils down to is that Ecotech can poop in tin foil, wrap it up and sell it hand over fist as gold. They're kinda like the Apple of the marine hobby world.

I posted before I saw yours, GMTA! :lol:

reefwars
10-27-2011, 06:08 PM

to be on the cutting edge of technology i spose lol like when someone buys a 60" tv just to buy a 72" tv the next week....bragging rights;)

reefwars
10-27-2011, 06:11 PM
read slickforks post on the reefbrites, just as i would guess they say anything to get you to buy them and once your cheque has cleared they avoid helping in anyway.......

jorjef
10-27-2011, 06:12 PM

I agree, the product better match the hype or there will be alot of grumpy people. Could be too early as people will still be tinkering with their lights but I haven't seen any proclamations of "better than sliced bread"

Lampshade
10-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Coming Spring 2012:

The new ecotech nitrate bomb! For years people have been running low nitrates, we've found new research that says nitrates help feed corals! so we've patented a new nitrate adding system that uses state of the art pliable aluminium sheet and wraps it around a source of high nitrates, adding growth to your tank.
http://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/tin-foil.jpg

Starting at $599

... Would have been more fun if i still had photoshop.

reefwars
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Coming Spring 2012:

The new ecotech nitrate bomb! For years people have been running low nitrates, we've found new research that says nitrates help feed corals! so we've patented a new nitrate adding system that uses state of the art pliable aluminium sheet and wraps it around a source of high nitrates, adding growth to your tank.
http://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/tin-foil.jpg

Starting at $599

... Would have been more fun if i still had photoshop.

ill giva 6k for it right now just to be the first.....as long as it looks cool i dont care what everyone else thinks;)

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I would say more for the novelty of the fixture. Features such as it links to your pumps, so when the lightning storm comes on your vortechs ramp up. Something cool to show your friends once in a while. The RGB is also a nice feature that many LED fixtures dont have. Other than that...... Not sure. But its a sweet fixture.

kien
10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
I would say more for the novelty of the fixture. Features such as it links to your pumps, so when the lightning storm comes on your vortechs ramp up. Something cool to show your friends once in a while. The RGB is also a nice feature that many LED fixtures dont have. Other than that...... Not sure. But its a sweet fixture.

blah blah blah blah blah...

All you had to say was, it's a RADION.

reefwars
laser beams is where its at or possible disco ball over the tank. maybe strobe lights will be the next big thing for tanks huh???:):)

Brightwhite

This.

lastlight
10-27-2011, 06:58 PM

That's exactly how I look when shopping for a phone or computer. Just add drool!

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok but an iPhone is basically same price as other touch phones. No one pays double or triple like people are paying for this fixture

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok but an iPhone is basically same price as other touch phones. No one pays double or triple like people are paying for this fixture

You are paying double or triple for an iphone. Whats wrong with a normal phone with a number pad and send/end button? Why do you need touch, internet, email, games, etc on your phone?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
same reason why nitemares are 40$/head on some sites while you can buy a frag of any common zoa for 10 or less lol its like it because people pay it, if no one paid the money they were asking for these lights they would be forced to lower the price or fail in the business.

i wonder what the real mark up is on these fixtures what it cost to make compared to what they retail for anyone have any ideas???:):)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
You are paying double or triple for an iphone. Whats wrong with a normal phone with a number pad and send/end button? Why do you need touch, internet, email, games, etc on your phone?

I have a slow job, I'm replying on my phone now

reefwars
10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
for the price of a new iphone i can get 14 of my phone lol my phone was 50$ all in lol

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Also, show me a fixture that will put out the same par/lumens pew watt, light spread, computer program so you can dim, lightning storm, link to your pumps, RGB LED's, in a nice enclosure (not DIY), for 1/2 or 3x less. I would be interested in that fixture.

reefwars
10-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Also, show me a fixture that will put out the same par/lumens pew watt, light spread, computer program so you can dim, lightning storm, link to your pumps, RGB LED's, in a nice enclosure (not DIY), for 1/2 or 3x less. I would be interested in that fixture.

but none of that is absolutely necessary its just hype. next thing it will make coffee too lol.

my halides grow corals...thats all i care about and the cost doesnt of one of these fixtures compared to my halides doesnt justify any of the fdancy gimmicks :) just my 2 cents(untill the penny is gone lol):):):)

Lampshade
10-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Man, why WOULDN'T you want all that stuff on your phone. I don't even have to think any more with Google in my pocket.

I got an iPhone 4... I know I could have got a better camera, chip or some other doodad in another.. but i had a iPhone 3G, treated it like crap, and it's the first phone I've owned that lasted the full contract. The thing was tough, and I used it for everything in the world... there's seriously an app for everything. My wife was in labour and timing contractions... writing them down... I was like, wait.. writing? what's that. So.. found an app for it, got to the hospital and the doctor asked about them, my wife had a chart to show him, lol.

kien
10-27-2011, 07:43 PM

On Rogers you can get the HTC EVO 3D, LG Optimus 3D, Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G or Xperia arc for $0.01. The iPhone4 is $99 and the 4S is $159. That's quite a difference, while all of those phones do the exact same thing. :biggrin:

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
but none of that is absolutely necessary its just hype. next thing it will make coffee too lol.

Absolutly!! All of it is hype and unnessisary. MH works just fine with some supplement lighting for color. Same as a nomal phone and an I phone, they both make calls just the same. If you want the bells and whistles then you pay for them.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone who wants a free iPhone 4 can pm me. On a 3 year contract tho.

jorjef
10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
The I phone/LED light combo....... Holy crap that's a great new product...someone start the hype!!....Head lights out on the car? put the wife on the hood and away you go!!!.....Stranded on a desert island with only your phone?? wait till night and signal a passing ship!!! And it makes coffee too!!!! only problem is a three pound phone is a little large

es355lucille
Hi guys!

With all new products there is normally an R&D recovery. Research/Developement/Engineering/Widget....bla bla bla New product=High Cost, until a bunch of people get out there and pay for the item.....then the price drops..... so do your job and lower those prices!!!

Hey the first plasma TV that came out years ago was $60K!! (the one I seen at that time)

reefwars
haha you know what i actually would buy a light if it had a little more day to day use like alarm clock, coffe maker,thermostat to my house, wireless router,built in camera for top down shots lol hummm gives me an idea for a thread ;););)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Absolutly!! All of it is hype and unnessisary. MH works just fine with some supplement lighting for color. Same as a nomal phone and an I phone, they both make calls just the same. If you want the bells and whistles then you pay for them.

But the application of an iPhone and results it produces are worth the money. This fixture still only produces light and doesn't produce different results. Would be different if this fixture has the ability to measure tank perameters and warn you when something is wrong

ponokareefer
10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
And now, they're not even using the newest and best LED's.

kien
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
The I phone/LED light combo....... Holy crap that's a great new product...someone start the hype!!....Head lights out on the car? put the wife on the hood and away you go!!!.....Stranded on a desert island with only your phone?? wait till night and signal a passing ship!!! And it makes coffee too!!!! only problem is a three pound phone is a little large

Too late, my iPhone4 already has an LED light on it. Try again.

reefwars
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
But the application of an iPhone and results it produces are worth the money. This fixture still only produces light and doesn't produce different results. Would be different if this fixture has the ability to measure tank perameters and warn you when something is wrong

interesting concept...maybe in the future they will;)

kien
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
worth the money

This is relative. One man's junk is another man's treasure as they say :-) How much money did you spend on your fish tank? No matter its cost, there are tonnes of people who would not drop a dime on it because it's just not worth the money :wink:

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM

How does the application of your iphone create results for you that are worth the money? Does a normal phone not make calls? Sitting at work surfing canreef is productive? Are you not sitting infront of a desk with a computer on it? Do you use it to take your wedding photos for your customers and find the results better than a SLR or whatever camera your using?

If you want to control your peram's, have warnings and a light, then get a different fixture and a GHL controler, problem solved. There are lots of fixtures that are cheaper and GHL compatible.

jorjef
10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Too late, my iPhone4 already has an LED light on it. Try again.

Okay what I meant was a Radion/phone.... The light with a phone, rather than a phone with a light...The wife could get hurt only having the single beam light from the phone...

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM
How does the application of your iphone create results for you that are worth the money? Does a normal phone not make calls? Sitting at work surfing canreef is productive? Are you not sitting infront of a desk with a computer on it? Do you use it to take your wedding photos for your customers and find the results better than a SLR or whatever camera your using?

If you want to control your peram's, have warnings and a light, then get a different fixture and a GHL controler, problem solved. There are lots of fixtures that are cheaper and GHL compatible.

Business these days is done through mostly email. iPhone gives me the ability to respond instantly and secure clients before they get a chance to email someone else. The ability to use email has paid for the cost of the phone hundreds of times over

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
My job also involves a lot of driving in areas that I am not familular with, like st Albert, Sherwood park, spruce grove. iPhone has updated maps. This feature alone saves me from buying a 200 dollar gps unit

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
The least used feature on my iPhone is the actual "phone" part. So comparing it to a 5 year old cell phone is not eve a fair comparison.

reefwars
10-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Business these days is done through mostly email. iPhone gives me the ability to respond instantly and secure clients before they get a chance to email someone else. The ability to use email has paid for the cost of the phone hundreds of times over

my phone has internet,camera,email,makes calls plays music. besides the apps and touch screen my phone does pretty much everything an iphone does and my last phone was an iphone lol:):)

$50 all in-no contract(included 50 gift card for accessories lol)

reefwars
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
gps on my phone too lol

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
my phone has internet,camera,email,makes calls plays music. besides the apps and touch screen my phone does pretty much everything an iphone does and my last phone was an iphone lol:):)

$50 all in-no contract(included 50 gift card for accessories lol)

iPhone 4 is 0 dollars on a 3 year contract. (you're gonna have a phone either way with or without a contract)
Comes with one year replacement warranty. (apple replaced my brothers phone after he jumped into a pool with it)
And then the benefit of having endless amount of apps. (kamasutra app totally worth 99 cents)

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM

My job also involves a lot of driving in areas that I am not familular with, like st Albert, Sherwood park, spruce grove. iPhone has updated maps. This feature alone saves me from buying a 200 dollar gps unit

The least used feature on my iPhone is the actual "phone" part. So comparing it to a 5 year old cell phone is not eve a fair comparison.

This tells me you can justify why you spent "X amount" on your Iphone. Now the question is can you justify the money for an LED fixture? Are the feature's of this fixture or any other fixture worth it to you?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
iPhone 4 is 0 dollars on a 3 year contract. (you're gonna have a phone either way with or without a contract)
Comes with one year replacement. (apple replaced my brothers phone after he jumped into a pool with it)

mine was a 50$ dollar phone with no contract and i own it and can drop it or get another at any time.

kien
10-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Okay what I meant was a Radion/phone.... The light with a phone, rather than a phone with a light...The wife could get hurt only having the single beam light from the phone...

I'm not sure I follow.. What's the difference? I have an LED light that I use to light my tank sometimes, and it does happen to have a phone feature. It is called the iPhone4.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:31 PM
This tells me you can justify why you spent "X amount" on your Iphone. Now the question is can you justify the money for an LED fixture? Are the feature's of this fixture or any other fixture worth it to you?

But this fixture puts out light and grows corals just like a metal halide or t5

Maybe this just seems too much for me because I'd have to spend over 5 grand on these fixtures where as my 1000 watts of metal halides cost me 600

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
If this fixture could promise to never grow cyano, I'd be all over it :)

gobytron
10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I think you have to be a little silly (yes, I said silly, it's fairly pg) to not realize that LED prices have dropped exponentially since they first hit the market.

some cost more, but have way more features.
Its an emerging growth market and when thats the case, prices have but one way to go long term...down.

StirCrazy
10-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't get the hype people get over lightning storms.... after spending about 7 years of the last 20 at sea, I can honestly say I have seen only one lighting storm. living in victoria for 20 years I can count the lightning storms on one hand. lightning is more common in dry enviorments than it is in moist ones so why are so many people trying to make lightning on there tanks? now if you want to get realistic install a bunch of fans that can blow 1/2 the water out of your tank onto the floor then you have a hurricane simulation :mrgreen:

Steve

kien
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
iPhone 4 is 0 dollars on a 3 year contract.

The iPhone4 is outdated and has been replaced with the newer iPhone4S which people are eating up apparently.

That's a sweet deal tho! Where can I get a new iPhone4 for $0? I tried Bell, Rogers and Telus and none of them have that on their websites.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
My question is does a lightning storm simulation matter to anyone over the age of 12?

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:39 PM
The iPhone4 is outdated and has been replaced with the newer iPhone4S which people are eating up apparently.

That's a sweet deal tho! Where can I get a new iPhone4 for $0? I tried Bell, Rogers and Telus and none of them have that on their websites.

I work for telus and can offer that deal. Pm me

reefwars
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't get the hype people get over lightning storms.... after spending about 7 years of the last 20 at sea, I can honestly say I have seen only one lighting storm. living in victoria for 20 years I can count the lightning storms on one hand. lightning is more common in dry enviorments than it is in moist ones so why are so many people trying to make lightning on there tanks? now if you want to get realistic install a bunch of fans that can blow 1/2 the water out of your tank onto the floor then you have a hurricane simulation :mrgreen:

Steve

thats awesome made me laugh and so true lol i can picture some newbie plugging in his new light and going " humm hurricane effect whats that do" then water gushing out of the tank

or have a rain feature where it syphons water and shoots it at your ceiling like a simulated rain storm lol:):)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
thats awesome made me laugh and so true lol i can picture some newbie plugging in his new light and going " humm hurricane effect whats that do" then water gushing out of the tank

or have a rain feature where it syphons water and shoots it at your ceiling like a simulated rain storm lol:):)

Look it up on YouTube. There's a guy that has a tank that simulates rain

kien
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Steve

But it's a lighting storm in my tank, right in my own freaking living room!!1!!eleven!!!!1!! ZOMG lightening in my living room!!!1!1eleven!!1!!

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
But it's a lighting storm in my tank, right in my own freaking living room!!1!!eleven!!!!1!! ZOMG lightening in my living room!!!1!1eleven!!1!!

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
So - Iphone has a bazillion apps... Android has tons of apps too???
Android phones are cheaper, some people love them and hate Iphone... 'worth the money'.

Hey, Since you dont use the 'phone' part of your phone as you just said, an Ipad would actually cover all the functions you mentioned previously, and has a larger screen/interface for you to use... a bit more 'power'... but some think Ipad is a waste of $$$ too.

Halides light a tank just great, have been around for decades... LED's are so new... but some sexy as heck tanks exist that are LED lit. Some like the red and green lights in the radion... some think its a 'waste'.

Some like aquariums (like us folks on this site)... others say 'too much work/boring'.

This is, like someone said (Kien was it?), all 'relative'. What is awesome and cool and worth extra money to you, might not be to someone else, and vice-versa. This is where 'opinions' are the boss. Your opinion = radion blows... Other guy = radion = THE thing to have. That other guy thinks Iphone blows and has android... You: Iphone RULEZ.

The demand obviously existed for all the features that ecotech has offered... and they have made a fixture that is comparable to others in the market, with some trinkets that certain people will prefer, and will pay the demanded price for. (Also btw: the ($850)radion is not that much more than other fixtures... you said it was double or triple? What comparable fixtures pre-built, that have a programmable option with them, are half or a third of the price? Aquaillumination is like $600, Vertex Illumina is like $1000, and the PacSun Python is like $1200???. I'd say the Radion is hardly out of line in comparison, seeing as it offers an even greater ability to play with colours to your liking by having RGB LED).

And as per that last line... I think the ability to fine-tune colours to your liking, and get certain colours to pop from the corals (red/greens) that normally wouldnt from other lights... is awesome. You may think its rubbish. Difference of value and opinion.

I have an Iphone and a Macbook pro... I used to have a PC and a Blackberry. I had 'no problem' with my PC... but since switching to mac... I have seen an incredible difference in things that are convenient for me. PC though does have certain 'workplace' or 'school' advantages over my mac... and for those I will use the PC still, but my mac is usually faster, easy to use... and i hardly ever get any sort of 'error' windows (and I am computer savy enough to avoid average PC consumer problems).

My blackberry was a heap of junk, and replaced twice in 2 years. I was happy enough with apple from my Ipods and macbook that I figured Iphone was worth a shot. So far... this phone is light years ahead of RIM products... but I also am aware that many android phones stomp all over RIM. Some prefer android and hate the layout of apple products.

Its all a difference of opinions and values... I may pay 3 times as much for a 10% increase in performance on my phone... the other guy may not, but he may pay $200 for a collectible stamp... while I think thats insane.

Why is the radion such a hit at it's price? The Demand curve.

Just my 2 cents (though that was probably much more than 2 cents worth of blabber, sorry folks, lol).

Cheers,

Chris

jorjef
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
That's just too much to read!!

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure I follow.. What's the difference? I have an LED light that I use to light my tank sometimes, and it does happen to have a phone feature. It is called the iPhone4.

Pretty sure he was making a joke about a multi-use phone/light/coffee-maker type all-in-one thing?:lol:

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I never said I think this thing blows. I just don't think the hype and price is justified.

jorjef
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure he was making a joke about a multi-use phone/light/coffee-maker type all-in-one thing?:lol:

We have a bingo!

kien
10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
So - Iphone has a bazillion apps... Android has tons of apps too???
Android phones are cheaper, some people love them and hate Iphone... 'worth the money'.

Hey, Since you dont use the 'phone' part of your phone as you just said, an Ipad would actually cover all the functions you mentioned previously, and has a larger screen/interface for you to use... a bit more 'power'... but some think Ipad is a waste of $$$ too.

Halides light a tank just great, have been around for decades... LED's are so new... but some sexy as heck tanks exist that are LED lit. Some like the red and green lights in the radion... some think its a 'waste'.

Some like aquariums (like us folks on this site)... others say 'too much work/boring'.

This is, like someone said (Kien was it?), all 'relative'. What is awesome and cool and worth extra money to you, might not be to someone else, and vice-versa. This is where 'opinions' are the boss. Your opinion = radion blows... Other guy = radion = THE thing to have. That other guy thinks Iphone blows and has android... You: Iphone RULEZ.

The demand obviously existed for all the features that ecotech has offered... and they have made a fixture that is comparable to others in the market, with some trinkets that certain people will prefer, and will pay the demanded price for. (Also btw: the ($850)radion is not that much more than other fixtures... you said it was double or triple? What comparable fixtures pre-built, that have a programmable option with them, are half or a third of the price? Aquaillumination is like $600, Vertex Illumina is like $1000, and the PacSun Python is like $1200???. I'd say the Radion is hardly out of line in comparison, seeing as it offers an even greater ability to play with colours to your liking by having RGB LED).

And as per that last line... I think the ability to fine-tune colours to your liking, and get certain colours to pop from the corals (red/greens) that normally wouldnt from other lights... is awesome. You may think its rubbish. Difference of value and opinion.

I have an Iphone and a Macbook pro... I used to have a PC and a Blackberry. I had 'no problem' with my PC... but since switching to mac... I have seen an incredible difference in things that are convenient for me. PC though does have certain 'workplace' or 'school' advantages over my mac... and for those I will use the PC still, but my mac is usually faster, easy to use... and i hardly ever get any sort of 'error' windows (and I am computer savy enough to avoid average PC consumer problems).

My blackberry was a heap of junk, and replaced twice in 2 years. I was happy enough with apple from my Ipods and macbook that I figured Iphone was worth a shot. So far... this phone is light years ahead of RIM products... but I also am aware that many android phones stomp all over RIM. Some prefer android and hate the layout of apple products.

Its all a difference of opinions and values... I may pay 3 times as much for a 10% increase in performance on my phone... the other guy may not, but he may pay $200 for a collectible stamp... while I think thats insane.

Why is the radion such a hit at it's price? The Demand curve.

Just my 2 cents (though that was probably much more than 2 cents worth of blabber, sorry folks, lol).

Cheers,

Chris

blah blah blah blah blah..

all you had to say was, your blackberry is the sux0r and RADIONs are the r0x0rz!!!!!1!!1eleven!!11!!!

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Have you ever laughed at a joke? Or thought something was 'cool'? Lol. Some people like different things than others. Maybe the fact that you cant accept people's different interests means (MarkoD <12yr.)

kien
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
We have a bingo!

ah okay, i get it now. My iPhone4 which can double as an aquarium light and cell phone does not make coffee. Got it, thanks!

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I never said I think this thing blows. I just don't think the hype and price is justified.

For YOU.

And others dont think the hype and price of YOUR Iphone is justified either.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Have you ever laughed at a joke? Or thought something was 'cool'? Lol. Some people like different things than others. Maybe the fact that you cant accept people's different interests means (MarkoD <12yr.)

That was a joke. Referring to why would anyone think a lightning storm was "cool".

Aquattro
10-27-2011, 08:51 PM

lol, same here. I spend about 5 minutes a month actually using the phone on my S2. I could even do without that feature :)

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:52 PM
blah blah blah blah blah..

all you had to say was, your blackberry is the sux0r and RADIONs are the r0x0rz!!!!!1!!1eleven!!11!!!

ah okay, i get it now. My iPhone4 which can double as an aquarium light and cell phone does not make coffee. Got it, thanks!

Lol Kien, you have popcorn out dont you? :popcorn:

parkinsn
But this fixture puts out light and grows corals just like a metal halide or t5

Maybe this just seems too much for me because I'd have to spend over 5 grand on these fixtures where as my 1000 watts of metal halides cost me 600

Then I would say get a cheaper fixture something like the ones that I dont have a name for at the moment lol. The small white ones with the clusters of LED's (AI maybe?) Combind that and a GHL and get the result that you want. For under $5000 im sure.

I dont think that this fixture is really geared for the huge tanks or tanks that are outside the standard dimentions. Unless you have lots of money to burn. One every 24"x24" is great. If your pushing more that 6' and and a width more than 24" there are better fixtures LED/MH/T5 that would better suit your needs if money is an issue. I think the "novelty" of this fixtuers capibillities is the biggest selling point, of course with being a viable source of light for growing coral as well. This is a great little fixture for any standard tank 180, 125, 120 (4'), 90, 75 etc. Out side of that I would be looking at fixtures that are made for bigger spreads or pendants that are much cheaper.

Funky_Fish14
That was a joke. Referring to why would anyone think a lightning storm was "cool".

So you do agree... it might be cool? You may not pay a cent for that feature... but someone else might :)

Aquattro
10-27-2011, 08:54 PM

lol

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
For YOU.

And others dont think the hype price of YOUR Iphone is justified either.

Ok but iPhone is basically the same price as most phones out there. And the reason it may be more expensive than some phones isn't over something silly like a strobing led light.

Switching to these led lights would cost me 4400 dollars more than having halides. There is no way that lightning and 3 colors of LEDs could be worth that much to anyone

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
of course with being a viable source of light for growing coral as well.

Reminding me that....

Not everyone wants to grow hardcore SPS in their tank. These lights and other LED's would do just fine for people who want to grow mushrooms and zoos in the bottom corners of their tanks instead. I dont want SPS in the bottom corner of my tank anyways... it doesnt grow in the sand :)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:00 PM
And another thing, these things seem like a Huge amount of money for something that isn't proven to work in the long term for growing corals. What if in a year these prove to be no good?

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok but iPhone is basically the same price as most phones out there. And the reason it may be more expensive than some phones isn't over something silly like a strobing led light.

Switching to these led lights would cost me 4400 dollars more than having halides. There is no way that lightning and 3 colors of LEDs could be worth that much to anyone

Lol, off contract, most of the other smartphones offered by telus (whos website I JUST looked at), are 100-200 dollars cheaper than Iphones, at minimum.

"Worth that much to anyone"... You cant say that there is no way.... there is... its called OPINIONs man. Yours is different than another guy... that IS the difference... those features ARE worth that much to some people.

Do you have any other hobbies that are uncommon? Do you wear extravagant clothing brands? Some people think thats nuts... others no. 'To each their own'...

If people didn't enjoy the 'personal value' of the radion features... the fixture would already be a flunk lol.

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
And another thing, these things seem like a Huge amount of money for something that isn't proven to work in the long term for growing corals. What if in a year these prove to be no good?

There are lots of tanks on RC (including SPS) that have been under LED for more than 5 years, I think some even 7, with AquaIllumination LEDs.

jorjef
10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
it seems to be a two horse race folks!!

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Reminding me that....

Not everyone wants to grow hardcore SPS in their tank. These lights and other LED's would do just fine for people who want to grow mushrooms and zoos in the bottom corners of their tanks instead. I dont want SPS in the bottom corner of my tank anyways... it doesnt grow in the sand :)

Which is exactly why having features like dimming are great. Thoes that want SPS can crank it up and for the LPS softy guys they can lower the out put.

Its all a matter of if you want the features or not. Do I think the lightning is cool, ya. Am I going to use it, no. Show a couple people a few times and that would be all the use of that feature would ever see.

The RGB, ya I think thats worth it to get a full spectrum look that other LED's dont have. Dimming for sunset/sun rise I personally think its worth it, for the fish and coral as well as my personal viewing.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I think the only reason people are buying this light is for the same reason some people buy a Rolex (on a smaller scale)

Lol, off contract, most of the other smartphones offered by telus (whos website I JUST looked at), are 100-200 dollars cheaper than Iphones, at minimum.

"Worth that much to anyone"... You cant say that there is no way.... there is... its called OPINIONs man. Yours is different than another guy... that IS the difference... those features ARE worth that much to some people.

Do you have any other hobbies that are uncommon? Do you wear extravagant clothing brands? Some people think thats nuts... others no. 'To each their own'...

If people didn't enjoy the 'personal value' of the radion features... the fixture would already be a flunk lol.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Ok work is almost over. Let's continue this tomorrow?

jorjef
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I think the only reason people are buying this light is for the same reason some people buy a Rolex (on a smaller scale)

Because they can?

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Because they can?

Because they want people to know they can

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 09:12 PM

This statement is not true. LEDs have been around for several years and have proven to grow coral. This fixture is using the latest in LED technology. LEDs are improving every time a new fixture come to the market. Just because its only been on the market for a week does not mean its not proven. The LED itself is proven, ecotech has just used the LED that has been around for years, added some cool features, and a different shell than a fixture comprible to it and started selling it.

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:13 PM

You know some people will be as stuck believing that about you advocating the Iphone as you are about the radion, right? :wink:

"I... think..." he said. Fighting a war with unpredictable human tastes/values/emotions/desires, there is no win. Your just as right as the next guy.

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:17 PM
If LED's didnt grow corals... everyone with LEDs over their tanks (who have had them for more than a month) would have nice bleach white tanks. (or brown, red, green, from only cyano/algae, lol).

You wouldnt see 'growth pics' or 'colouring up' pics from people with LEDs if they didnt work.

Cheers,

Chris

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Or its all just a big conspiracy, and everyone including Kien who has tried lots of LEDs, just say they work great to avoid the shame of admitting they didnt work.

We all know Kien borrows the non-LED-club mascott 'Ol-blue' from Brett when the LED's are off. :lol:

jorjef
10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Because they want people to know they can

True, there are others that may have one, and very few of their freinds and family know they do.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Or its all just a big conspiracy, and everyone including Kien who has tried lots of LEDs, just say they work great to avoid the shame of admitting they didnt work.

We all know Kien borrows the non-LED-club mascott 'Ol-blue' from Brett when the LED's are off. :lol:

So why are these LEDs better than the 200 dollar led pendent from china? Won't those grow corals too?

lastlight
10-27-2011, 09:29 PM
So why are these LEDs better than the 200 dollar led pendent from china? Won't those grow corals too?

I'm not really arguing along with you guys but try and sort out a failure with one of those fixtures. Ecotech definitely has a reputation for making things right for its customers and even that carries it's own cost.

Not to mention the LED used in most of those units put out much less light.

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM

You bashed the radion's price... then you bashed LEDs in general...

I think your head is too hard. We all know they will all grow coral... we all know lightining storms and red and green LED's aren't necessary for that growth... But... some people want to pay a company an extra $200 for a similar light to install those features on their light!

*The bold italicized text is the moral of the story

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:32 PM
jebus i just left for 5 mins to catch a huge bristle work almost 3/4" thick which i end up making into now 3 bristle worms and i miss 3 pages of posts...i just read them took me about 3 mins....3 mins of my life ill never get back thanks guys!! lol:)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
You bashed the radion's price... then you bashed LEDs in general...

I think your head is too hard. We all know they will all grow coral... we all know lightining storms and red and green LED's aren't necessary for that growth... But... some people want to pay a company an extra $200 for a similar light to install those features on their light!

*The bold italicized text is the moral of the story

Aren't the ecotec lights 800+ per pendent?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:35 PM

so why is it more expensive than some of the other phones again in case i missed it lol?????

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM

Yes they are.

Am I going to pay $600 more for better/proven leds, more functions, and a warrenty.... Yup!!

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Im not even argueing... Im talking to a wall.

I have a sticker that says "I respect your opinion, I just dont want to hear it"... I should cross out "I respect" and mail it to Marko. *So he can put it on his door

If you don't understand that people have different interests or preferences than you do, your not going to get anywhere. There is no way to explain why certain 'scientifically un-necessary to coral growth' features are 'better' than others, other than personal feelings. The cost for this fixture's 'fancy features'... the result of feelings that some have and you dont. (and things like Brett mentioned, such as customer service, or component quality).

Cheers,
Chris

*Edited for clarity of statement

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:38 PM

I misread your $200... I thought you wrote $200 dollars more... Either way, the number doesnt matter. We are talking about price difference vs. personal desires.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Honestly I'm secretly looking for a reason to buy LEDs. And I was hoping a logical (to me) reason would come up

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
im naming this provincial LED day :) happy led day all!!!!

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Honestly I'm secretly looking for a reason to buy LEDs. And I was hoping a logical (to me) reason would come up

because they can do lightning storms!!!!!! although my halide does that after i splash some water on the ballast lol:)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes they are.

Am I going to pay $600 more for better/proven leds, more functions, and a warrenty.... Yup!!

Maybe I would too, for 1 pendent. But not if for 5

Money pit
10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Man 10 pages just today. Do any of you have jobs? Or are you all at work using your iphones :lol:

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Man 10 pages just today. Do any of you have jobs? Or are you all at work using your iphones :lol:

"i dont have an iphone...too expensive and the extra toys dont justify the price"-albert einstein

parkinsn
10-27-2011, 09:46 PM
"i dont have an iphone...too expensive and the extra toys dont justify the price"-albert einstein

Seem's legit. :lol:

Albert Einstein: Died April 18 1955

Steve Jobs: Born Feb 25 1955

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Seem's legit. :lol:

Albert Einstein: Died April 18 1955

Steve Jobs: Born Feb 25 1955

i got it off the internet so you know its true;)

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
i got it off the internet so you know its true;)

Wikipedia?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Wikipedia?

but of course its the only sight i trust lol :):)

reefwars
10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
well thanks alot guys with over 100 emails in the last while i cant see if im getting REAL emails lol

Funky_Fish14
10-27-2011, 09:54 PM

I started writing a list of advantages LED's have... but they have all been listed in the various LED threads on this board, on other boards... you seem to have read some LED threads... so I assume you came across most of them. Some things like build quality, warrenty, customer service... those were mentioned right here... MOST average consumers actually find that stuff pretty important, im not sure about you?

These things that you will find in most LED threads tend to be what attract many to LED's in the first place.

Now the fancy features, like lightning storms and coloured LEDS... if you are interested at all in the colours of your corals, or the colours you see... this may be of some interest to you... it certainly is to many others as something to play with and adjust the visual effect you receive. And if you've ever shown off a piece of equipment from your tank to a guest in your house (even as simple as a magfloat), some people may like to show off thins like lightning, cloud simulation, LUNAR simulation.... But its not just about the lightning, but simulating actual annual solar/lunar cycles (sometimes encouraging reproduction in corals or fish)... thats pretty sweet to some people. These are just 'bonus features'... you dont have to get them...

If you are REALLY considering going LED... then read the threads and accept what people have found advantageous about them. If you could care less about these fancy features of the radion, then dont buy a radion, and get a simpler fixture with less options that is cheaper.

Seems relatively logical I think.

But if none of the advantages of LED seem 'logical' to you as you put it... dont get them.

All your 'fighting' about in this thread are the 'useless toys' that come with the radion. Some want them, so they get them. If you dont want them, dont get them.

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
One more for good luck?

MarkoD
10-27-2011, 09:59 PM
anyone know, if i remove a couple powerheads at a time to clean them for a few hours. will my anemone's star moving around?

reefwars
10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
One more for good luck?

they float:)

reefwars
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
they may not move if they are happy where the lights are getting to them.you can always feed them first then they should stay put.

oh and ....

:focus::focus::focus:

Brightwhite
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I started writing a list of advantages LED's have... but they have all been listed in the various LED threads on this board, on other boards... you seem to have read some LED threads... so I assume you came across most of them. Some things like build quality, warrenty, customer service... those were mentioned right here... MOST average consumers actually find that stuff pretty important, im not sure about you?

These things that you will find in most LED threads tend to be what attract many to LED's in the first place.

Now the fancy features, like lightning storms and coloured LEDS... if you are interested at all in the colours of your corals, or the colours you see... this may be of some interest to you... it certainly is to many others as something to play with and adjust the visual effect you receive. And if you've ever shown off a piece of equipment from your tank to a guest in your house (even as simple as a magfloat), some people may like to show off thins like lightning, cloud simulation, LUNAR simulation.... But its not just about the lightning, but simulating actual annual solar/lunar cycles (sometimes encouraging reproduction in corals or fish)... thats pretty sweet to some people. These are just 'bonus features'... you dont have to get them...

If you are REALLY considering going LED... then read the threads and accept what people have found advantageous about them. If you could care less about these fancy features of the radion, then dont buy a radion, and get a simpler fixture with less options that is cheaper.

Seems relatively logical I think.

But if none of the advantages of LED seem 'logical' to you as you put it... dont get them.

All your 'fighting' about in this thread are the 'useless toys' that come with the radion. Some want them, so they get them. If you dont want them, dont get them.

Very well put.

I'm gonna let the wife read that, lol.

reefwars
10-27-2011, 10:25 PM
forget ecotech....heres my light im coming out with anyone wanna fund it????

its a led light fixture it has a built in skimmer and reactors , it hovers by fans that act as cooling so no suspended wires or legs,it has a built in feeders,temp control,water tests.it has a auto top off that doubles as a "rain simulation" it has lightning and powerheads facing down to simulate a hurricane. it drops little led modules that cruise the top of the tank spreading light throughout then get sucked back up before night with magnets. the fixture is wireless and has bluetooth.the fixture is solar powere3d and powers its self during the day.... off its own light.the fixture has a built in camera for top down shots and has a video camera with night vision for catching night time critters in action.

all under the price of a ecotech;)

thanks and your welcome...ill be taking pre orders so just send me a bunch of cash and well figure it out later k;)

ponokareefer
10-27-2011, 10:35 PM

I'd go with DIY and get exactly what you want a a fraction of the cost. Plus, you can modify it as the technology gets better.

albert_dao
10-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Like watching the Republican debates, this thread.

Aquattro
10-27-2011, 11:09 PM

haha, so true :)

ScubaSteve
10-27-2011, 11:14 PM

For a moment there I was going to say which debate may be more intelligent but, really, neither of them are..:razz:

On a similar note, I was post #2 this morning. I check back at 4 pm and there are 12 pages. Is anyone here employed?:razz: I think this almost breaks a new record... beats all of the other fiasco threads but those all unfolded over a few days. Here we have 12 pages because of little blinky lights... awesome!

reefwars
10-27-2011, 11:18 PM
i thought this was the random thought thread......i should learn to read or have my translator learn english would be a good idea:):)

albert_dao
10-27-2011, 11:20 PM
For a moment there I was going to say which debate may be more intelligent but, really, neither of them are..:razz:

Not even close. There is NO one in here who could pull the boneheaded CRAP that Rick Perry spouts every damn time he opens his mouth. Romney walks all over that guy like no one's business (and/or *insert inappropriate euphemism here*).

Which is all besides the point. I didn't realize LED's were such a partisan issue :P

Remember circa 2003-2005 when people were still arguing about T5's?

Yeah, that.

reefwars
10-28-2011, 12:29 AM
hahaha ummm bump!!!! :ppppp

Zarstar
10-28-2011, 01:55 AM
SEEN THEM IN ACTION. THEY SUCK!! Maxspect is the way to go... BUT their customer service in Canada (Hmm how do I say this) SUUUUCKS (BRUTAL)..:twised:

LED's are the bomb though, I buy corals and save them from certain death at the store. The blue spectrum seems to promote zooxanthellae growth which makes for brighter corals with more fluorescence! :biggrin:

kien
10-28-2011, 02:29 AM
SEEN THEM IN ACTION. THEY SUCK!!

Why ?

StirCrazy
10-28-2011, 02:31 AM
I work for telus and can offer that deal. Pm me

can you swing me a free upgrade from my torch to a new torch 4g? :mrgreen:

I bought it 2 months befor the new ones came out.. but buggers should have told me LOL

Steve