PDA

View Full Version : Can xenia sting?

robbyville
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I have (had), a small digitata frag that has (had) been growing for at least three months. It has (had) already encrusted its disk and looked great.

About two days ago, I noticed that about 2/3rds of it's flesh was gone leaving only white skeleton. The only thing that I could think of was RTN (Which I do not know much about), or the xenia that is very close to the frag and is growing rapidly. I have definitely seen the xenia touch the frag.

I have moved the frag to a new location but it seems to continue to go down hill. On the two inches of frag I estimate there is maybe 1/4 inch of living tissue left.

Thoughts?

Rob

martym
02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Soft and hard corals don't get along. They produce toxins that are bad for one another. I have soft on one side of the tank and hard on the other, and that keeps then happy.

robbyville
02-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks Marty!

I am starting to move things around as well. But do you think that the xenia could have caused this kind of sudden death to my frag? Especially when everything else seems to be alright?

Rob

Aquattro
02-09-2004, 08:18 PM
I have had xenia completely engulf several sps, and not once did they do any damage. I would say your problem isn't from the xenia.

BCOrchidGuy
02-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Robby, got any blue legged hermit crabs in there? They used to love my digitata, and they could clean up the polyps in no time. The polyps will grow back once you remove the offensive little b***ards.

Doug

robbyville
02-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Nope, no hermits.

I have a Sally Litefoot, but I know for a fact that she has not eaten anything but dead tissue. There is still a tiny little bit of live tissue that seems ok. Would I be better fragging that small piece or should I leave it as is?

Reef-Raf, thanks for the thought. Perhaps it was RTN, I have heard that that happens fairly quickly.

Rob