PDA

View Full Version : Putting a small insulated box on a plane

2pts
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Hello all, I will be flying to Ontario (I'm in BC) in 3 weeks.

I am thinking to pick up 5 zoa / paly frags. I will bring a really small insulated box which would be able to fit them. then I am thinking to put that box with a cardboard box around it, then a plastic bag around that tied with elastics, in my luggage and check it. I am flying with Westjet. I called them but they just trasferred me to West Jet Cargo which had no idea if it was allowed in baggage check, but they did quote me an astronomically high cargo rate.

I am looking for experiences from anyone who may have done this in the recent (post 9/11 era) with preferably West Jet. I have read of experiences of Lobsters being allowed from the Maritimes.

Thank You.

BlueWorldAquatic
10-26-2011, 10:14 PM
live goods are NOT allowed by westjet, as they are afraid of thge livestock dying, that is why they send you to WJ Cargo.

since you are travelling in Canada only, don't worry about it.

just pack them in your baggage, but secure. double bag all the frags, then double bag the bag that is holding the frags. Heat pack if you want.

then get a styro box or anything harder to put them into, then fill with packing material.

should transport just fine.

Ken-BWA

2pts
10-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Thank You.

paddyob
10-27-2011, 01:50 AM
I assume like most baggage. It will be all sides rolled before hitting the plane.

Keep enough space as a buffer all around.

I don't know how they might react to sloshing about. Maybe even consider mounting them on styro chunks like you would LPS.

Bryan
10-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Or put the frags individually wrapped in a wide mouth thermos.

Myka
10-27-2011, 03:02 AM
I don't know how they might react to sloshing about.

Zoas and Palys ship pretty easily. I've seen them shipped for 2 1/2 days in soggy paper towel and they were good to go.

2pts
05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Just to let everyone know...

I had a tiny styrofoam box like maybe 8"square.

I bought 5 frags from Fragalot, double bagged each one in small bags with small amout of water. Some Zoas, a Duncan frag, a Ricordia, and a Favia. I then double bagged the styrofoam box.

I placed it in my luggage in a ball of clothing all around. I checked my luggage with out saying anything (it was like $50ish worth of stuff). I flew Westjet from Toronto to Calgary, then Calgary to Kelowna in November. About 10 - 12 hours from being at Burc's house to being at my house in Vernon BC.

Everything lived.