PDA

View Full Version : New to marine: setting up my 26G bowfront

Acipenser
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
So I decided to try out marine, my plan is to keep it a simple as possible for now. So it will be a fowlr tank with a shallow sand bed, so far I have bought a Koralia nano 425 gph power head, an instant ocean hydrometer, some live sand ( even though Iv'e read that live sand is useless) and the salt. Wondering if I can use any of my fresh water HOB filters to move water around or should I just buy another koralia nano ?

I plan on adding the live rock in the next couple of days then waiting a few weeks while I research on fish and make sure everything is stable.

BlueTang<3
10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I have used and still use hob back filters, great for running carbon and filter floss to clear the water occasionally. The sponges and bio balls are useless but they work well for adding flow and breaking the surface tension.

Corbin
10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
i dont use any mechanical filters, but i do agree with bluetang, its good for carbon, or floss, say after doing some aqua scaping and sand dust is all in the water.

Live sand is not useless, well live or not... sand is good, a lot of little critters live in there and do a lot of good for your tank.

id say just use a couple powerheads to keep the flow up so the live rock can be your bacteria filter.