PDA

View Full Version : Clam with broken foot...

dc4
10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
So, woke up this morning and found my new clam on its side, either fell off the rock I put it on or pushed itself off of it. The worst part is that the thin strands of the foot seem to have snapped off of it and it was only holding on by 1 thin strand. It is still openeing and closing as per norm and the mantle is not retracted. I am now unsure of what to do at this point, any thoughts? Should I leave it on the rock or place it in the sand?

dc4
10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
So far, I have taken out a large piece of rock and hamered out a section in the middle of it to fit the clam a little better, hopefully it will be ok there. :sad:

christyf5
10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
The thin strands you're talking about are byssal threads which are produced by the byssal gland, thats not its foot :biggrin:. The clam produces those to help adhere themselves to a surface so they can stay upright. They are able to release those threads at any time. If you want the clam to remain on the rock, just right it in the same position it was in before. If it is continually falling on its side, perhaps place it on a more stable, sheltered area or on the sand. If you put it on the sand, place an empty snail shell or small piece of rock underneath in the sand so it can adhere to that :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
They can grow those strands back. Quite quickly too. I placed my Squamosa on a spot and less than 48 hours later, when I went to move it a little, I couldn't since it was strongly attached to the rock already.

dc4
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Phew, that's great news, the rock its on now fits it much better. :biggrin:

MKLKT
10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Clam feet look more like a big tongue :)