PDA

View Full Version : What to feed mushrooms

TNTCanada
02-08-2004, 05:07 AM
I have had my mushrooms for years never have had to feed them is there anything I should be feeding them to help them grow? They have fraged but only once in a blue moon.

martym
02-08-2004, 02:11 PM
I've just started to feed mine ( past week) And they are already starting to look better. I feed mine blended Nori,scallops and prawns every other day when I feed my other corals. I turn my pumps off and target feed with a syringe. Hope that helps.

Canadian Man
02-08-2004, 03:37 PM
mistake :rolleyes:

Canadian Man
02-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I have had my mushrooms for years never have had to feed them is there anything I should be feeding them to help them grow? They have fraged but only once in a blue moon.

They will eat anything. :biggrin:

robbyville
02-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I've never noticed a mouth on my shrooms. Do you feed daytime or nightime?

Thanks!

Rob

Bob I
02-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Most people have problems with mushrooms growing and spreading too fast. I would think if you feed them you will really exacerbate the problem (I just needed a chance to use that word ) :redface:

TNTCanada
02-08-2004, 05:12 PM
A lot of people don't like Mushrooms I think there great. Mine are all on the floor of my tank on small pieces of LR. I think they look good there.

Aquattro
02-08-2004, 06:04 PM
A lot of people don't like Mushrooms I think there great. Mine are all on the floor of my tank on small pieces of LR. I think they look good there.

I'm printing this to show you what you said a year from now :biggrin:

martym
02-08-2004, 06:20 PM
robbyville, I feed mine in the evening, when I feed the rest of the corals, but way before the lights are turned out.

Bob I
02-08-2004, 07:02 PM

I'm printing this to show you what you said a year from now :biggrin:

I am reminded of the red mushroom someone gave me once. I nursed it for a year, and suddenly it virtually exploded, and almost took over the tank. I laboriously scraped as many as I could from my rocks. There were of course bits left that regrew, but at this time they are under control :eek:
Mushrooms are funny that way. Tony had a purple mushroom that totally polluted his tank. I have a couple of those thet have not yet given a problem. :rolleyes:

sumpfinfishe
02-08-2004, 09:27 PM
TNT,
I also agree that mushrooms can be a PITA, but for beginners they are great because there so hardy. I also know advanced reefers that keep them too, but always under control.

After my second year of reefing I set up a mushroom farm tank and propagated hundreds over a period of about 6 months. The easiest way I found them to spread was due to the following:

>nutrient rich water
>low to med light
>gentle constant flow
>additions of Reef Iodide

Well that's why I think that mushrooms don't spread too well in many established reef's, as the water is usually too clean, the light is too bright, there's more than gentle flow patterns, and Iodide is not usually supplemented.
You could always start farming them in a 5-10gl nano with a single pc, a small filter for current and weekly additions of Iodide. Be careful though as some people get confused with Iodide and Iodine. Iodide is converted to Iodine that is toxic in any tank so be sure to use Iodide that's specifically for reef tanks and use it as directed-don't overdose! Also to help speed up the propagating you can take a clean sharp razor blade and make a partial laceration across the top of the shroom, this will help speed up the division process.

Goodluck and be careful, those shrooms can spread like wild fire :eek: :mrgreen:

TNTCanada
02-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the feed back sumpfinfishe I might just start up a mushroom only tank and see if I can fill it with mushrooms. :mrgreen: