PDA

View Full Version : Male " Blue Dragon " Flowerhorn ( Calgary )

Chammy
10-23-2011, 12:44 AM
My wife bought this little fella for me on Valentines Day last year but would like to sell him off to make room for a salt water tank in our room. Well fed and watered...haha...very active and has a large hump. He is presently in a 40 gallon setup. I know these fish are quite expensive at stores but would be willing to part with him at $500. Can discuss and send pictures for those interested. Thanks for looking. I am located in Airdrie.

Chammy
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
If anyone is interested, we can discuss a "best offer" price...

jagermaier
11-16-2011, 12:33 AM
You might have a hard time selling a freshwater fish on this site as most of us are salt water reefers. You might have better luck on Kijiji??

Myka
11-16-2011, 12:45 AM
www.bcaquaria.com (http://www.bcaquaria.com) forums? Mostly BC, but some AB.

paddyob
11-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Just curious.... I googled this fish and it does not seem like a very spectacular fish at all.

Is it rare or something?

Chammy
12-03-2011, 02:07 AM
both flowerhorn and arowana are considered to auspicious. especially by the chinese and those in the far east.
the flowerhorn is a hybrid fish, bred from a combination of south american cichlids, beliieved to be mostly midas cichilids, and trimac cichlids..
many believe that the hump on the flowerhorn's head, called kok, is a sign of good luck, the bigger the hump the more lucky the owner gets. since its the male flowerhorns develop bigger humps, they also cost more. they also develop black markings along the side which is said to be numbers in chinese characters which are also considered lucky.

the arowana is believe to sacrifise its life to protect the lives of its owner.and in feng shui its supposed to bring luck to the home.

but mostly, both these fish are beautiful to look at and a joy to observe.. love them

jagermaier
12-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks for your "fresh water" facts :violin::boom:

Aquattro
12-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Really, if you have nothing positive to contribute, don't.

fishoholic
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM

That's rude ^

I for one thought it was very informative well written and it gave me a better understanding of the fish. Plus another member had asked why it was expensive and that is why he gave an explanation of facts.

paddyob
12-03-2011, 02:11 PM

:bad-word:

I can use smileys too....

If you did not notice... he was nice enough to answer my question.

So thanks for answering! Good luck with the sale.

BUMP.

paddyob
12-03-2011, 02:13 PM
That's rude ^

I for one thought it was very informative well written and it gave me a better understanding of the fish. Plus another member had asked why it was expensive and that is why he gave an explanation of facts.

And I appreciate his answer!

Us salties can learn something outside of ourselves. lol.

reefwars
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
That's rude ^

+1 i thought it was interesting to read and it was something i didnt know :)cheers and good luck with the sale:)

reefwars
12-03-2011, 02:25 PM
plus this is also a site where we can talk freshie (hence the freshwater forumn) and most reefers were freshies to begin with;)

cale262
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
If you haven't already...post him in here.

http://albertaaquatica.com/

Funky_Fish14
12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
I was going to suggest AA (alberta aquatica).

Also... im not surprised at the $500 tag. Flowerhorns can fetch pretty big numbers. Many specialty flowerhorns fetch in excess of $250 at only 1-2". Ofcourse some can be had for only $25 bucks... but those are the cheap ugly ones. Its along the same lines as $1500 - $15 000 crossback and super chilli red arowanas etc... as the OP said. The same thing exists with koi, where some even fetch into the quarter million range, i poop you not! (As can be said for some snake morphs that are $10-50 000, racing pigeons that cost $1000-250 000, show dogs... horses..., tarantulas that cost $1000 and they aren't even morphs).

Not that any of that was exciting, lol, but the flashy prices dont exist only for SW fish!

Cheers,

Chris

Zoaelite
12-04-2011, 12:28 AM
So your telling me your selling a fish with a kok on its head?

Buahah sorry couldn't help myself :razz:, I agree Alberta Aquatica is your best bet mostly salties on here.

Funky_Fish14
12-04-2011, 01:33 AM

LMAO.

The reality is... 'kok' is actually often pronounced the way it sounds the words :lol:

reefwars
12-04-2011, 01:45 AM

Buahah sorry couldn't help myself :razz:, I agree Alberta Aquatica is your best bet mostly salties on here.

he originally bought it cause his buddy told him all the ladies like kok lol ;)