PDA

View Full Version : Diy sump for a 55 gl

Coralgurl
10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I have been trying to find some good info on a diy sump for my 55 gl reef. Tank is currently fallow and algae is starting to take over. Ultimately I would like to add in an algae scrubber.

I'm currently running a fluval 305 filter, tunze skimmer.

My tank is a 55 gl long, and I've got room for a 15 gl sump under the stand. My skimmer is about 4 1/2 inches wide, theres loads of height room, currently sitting in my tank.

Am I better off buying one off the shelf although pricier, if so what would be a good recommendation or should I attempt to build one myself? I'm not very handy and even though bf says he will help...he's a great starter, not so great project finisher...lol

Also, I'm getting tired of buying bottled water every week and having 6 5
bottles in my kitchen, what would you guys recommend for a ro/di system?

Thanks for any advice.

MKLKT
10-22-2011, 06:18 PM
From personal experience I've always liked having a rimless tank with a few glass or acrylic baffles siliconed in to your personal preference depending on what size chambers you need. It's just a lot nicer having access and having the input/output exactly in the spots that your tank needs. If you buy a used tank and pieces it can be super cheap, too.

Wayne
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Personally I would build my own sump inless you can get one cheap down there. I am sure there are lots of othe reefers there that could lend a hand. Are you planning on drilling your tank or using an overflow box?

For the sump there is lots of different designs. You just need to know what you plan on putting into it in the future. Usually a skimmer section, bubble traps, section of reactors/macro algea and return section. Not likely enough room for a refugium, but if theres a will...:lol:

If you want to run Ro/Di water then just bite the bullet and buy a system. If buying used you better check on how much it is to replace all the filter and membrane if there life is used up.

BlueTang<3
10-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Talk to Dave at concept has great sump pricing, personally we really like our vertex rodi unit. Dave also has those

Coralgurl
10-24-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm going to keep looking into a sump, but likely going to leave it for now. I realized today I wasn't maintaining my filter properly and this is likely why my tank looks the way it does. Will see what happens over the next while. I did look at smaller tanks for a sump and I don't know if it's worth it.

I did pick up a vertex ro unit today, working on getting it set up.

Wayne
10-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I did pick up a vertex ro unit today, working on getting it set up.

Awesome, I would look into auto shut offs so you don't flood your place (I know from personal experience... and I never learned :lol:)

Coralgurl
10-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Great suggestion, thanks. Currently debating on where to install it, basement, laundry room (main floor), kitchen sink....I eventually want a bigger tank, so future planning is important.....

BlueTang<3
10-25-2011, 01:48 AM
I suggest picking an auto top off like tunze and using like a rubbermaid or small tank for reservoir. I have a tank and float valve in case i forget to shut it off, nothing like being too safe.